03-15-2021, 04:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am running out the door but wanted to make a quick announcement. I have been shaving with the final Asylum 17-4 prototype for several months with great results. When I saw a post about the production razor not shaving, I did not believe it at first. I raced to the shop, threw a blade in one of the razors and shaved. My first thought was...my God this razor is smooth; it almost feels like there isn't a blade in it. I then realized that it was not cutting my stubble. Something clearly happened between approval of the final prototype and production.

I checked the production razors for cosmetic issues but did not check them with blades installed prior to shipping. With a highly polished razor, you really cannot do this as it will leave wax spots (at the very least) and customers will complain. 

I am meeting with the machine shop tomorrow with both the prototype and a production razor to try and figure out what exactly went wrong. That said, something clearly did.

I will issue refunds over the next couple of days (There are 100 orders to process).  Go ahead and keep the razor; you will get a very nice handle out of it. International customers, you may want to refuse the shipment to avoid taxes on a defective product. We do not know the timeline for the machine shop redoing the razors and decided to issue refunds rather than force people to wait indefinitely.

54 21,893
 03-15-2021, 04:22 PM
User Info
This a very upstanding gesture on your part Phil, I truly appreciate it. Thank You

34 717
 03-15-2021, 04:23 PM
User Info
Thanks for doing the right thing Phil. Sorry you have to go through this though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 127
 03-15-2021, 04:26 PM
User Info
WOW, so sorry to hear Phil ..  here i sold mine today on the forum cause my wife threw a fit about how much i paid, guess i will refund the buyer and then wait for my refund. After reading your post i actually just took the razor back out of the box because i never looked at it real close or put a blade in it ... so, i put a blade in it to see exactly what you was talking about and i quickly seen no blade exposure at all.  I really hate to hear this cause i know how much work, time and money was probably involved ... surely hope the machine shop makes things right for you

51 784
 03-15-2021, 04:32 PM
User Info
Good business practices like this lead to lifetime customers. I’ll be first in line for the next batch.

0 5
 03-15-2021, 04:33 PM
User Info
Phil is a true stand up man. Also a pleasure to do business with him. One of the best vendors in the shaving community. It is such an unfortunate situation. Hopefully it will all work out for him.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

32 1,021
 03-15-2021, 04:35 PM
User Info
Thank you Phil for being up front and taking responsibility for this.

0 11
 03-15-2021, 05:06 PM
User Info
This just shows what an outstanding and ethical vendor Phil is.  I know the prototype was a superb shaver.  Obviously, the machine shop made a huge error here.  Perhaps they entered the wrong numbers when programming the CNC machinery.  Whatever happened, Phil is handling this  admirably.

60 10,867
 03-15-2021, 05:09 PM
User Info
Phil, I am so sorry to hear this not from my perspective as a buyer, but because you are such a stand up guy and this just SUCKS all the way around!

I hope the machine shop can make this right for you!

38 408
 03-15-2021, 06:03 PM
User Info
That's sad for international customers like me who have a very small window of opportunity . Was lucky to grab one this time, not sure about the next batch.

I must add that Phil is an absolutely upright man. Excellent customer service.

Sorry for this mix-up but I am sure you are already looking into it. Wish you all the best for the next lot.

Sent from my V2040 using Tapatalk

4 1,360
 03-15-2021, 06:20 PM
User Info
Phil, I appreciate the way you handled this.
Thank you..

34 515
 03-15-2021, 06:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I know how much time , effort and almost sweet , blood and tears you has put into this project , my friend.

And I know that the next runs of this razor are going to be outstanding.

96 7,490
 03-15-2021, 10:30 PM
User Info
I did not have the chance to grab one of these razors, they sold very quickly, but I hope that I would be able to get one in a future batch. I am so confident that Phil does the right thing. Just a suggestion, given the huge demand, I would think of producing more than one hundred. 

Bye!

3 717
 03-16-2021, 02:57 AM
User Info
Honest business practices breed a large base of lifelong customers. I am sorry this occurred, Phil. Your response to this is first-class.

97 6,847
 03-16-2021, 03:18 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I'm sorry to hear about this Phil.  It has to be frustrating to you and your customers.  You are handling it perfectly.  Amazing customer service as always.

12 2,443
 03-16-2021, 06:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank guys. I plan to start issuing refunds this evening once I have a chance to sort things out. I will be on the road much of today meeting with the machine shop in Orange County and my accountant in Rolling Hills. In between, I need to get some orders out. Being a one man business has its advantages but, I am trying to juggle a million things right now.  If I do not reply to an email or return a phone call, it’s because I’m overwhelmed.

54 21,893
 03-16-2021, 06:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Phil, the thing about speed bumps is that there’s always an open road right after them. Stay the course.

19 4,786
 03-16-2021, 07:39 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
Phil,
Your focus on customer service is fantastic. I am sure the final product will be superb. You are doing a top job on this.

One of your international customers.

12 682
 03-16-2021, 04:33 PM
User Info
Phil, great way to stand out and up, good man.

0 66
 03-17-2021, 07:05 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thanks guys- I really appreciate your support. It’s been a rough few days.

Just a little update... I have processed approximately 60% of the refunds. The remainder should be processed this evening.

I still do not have an update regarding the machine shop. I had to move yesterday’s appointment to today. I’ll keep you updated.

54 21,893