03-17-2021, 11:24 PM
User Info
Hello!

I was wondering wether anyone can help me.

I bought my husband a shaving brush from art of shaving years ago(silver tip with metal back) it needs a replacement however when I tried to repurchase the same one......there are bad reviews that the hair falls out in clumps on the current batch.

Which brand would you recommend? My husband is in Los Angeles now. I read someone say you can also just replace the hair/ knot.

Has anyone tried a heated electric reason? They have one at art of shaving. It looks good but not sure if it’s just a gimmick.

Thank you so much michelle

0 8
 03-18-2021, 08:50 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Hi, any brush (natural hair or synthetic fiber) made by Simpson should make your husband smile. My current favorite is the Trafalgar T3 (synthetic).

0 505
 03-18-2021, 10:13 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Would also suggest you need to get him at least 3 badger brushes if using on a daily basis so that they can thoroughly dry between shaves.  As much as hate using culled badgers, nothing works as well for me

10 778
 03-18-2021, 10:54 AM
User Info
(03-18-2021, 08:50 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Hi, any brush (natural hair or synthetic fiber) made by Simpson should make your husband smile. My current favorite is the Trafalgar T3 (synthetic).

Thank you

0 8
 03-18-2021, 10:55 AM
User Info
(03-18-2021, 10:13 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Would also suggest you need to get him at least 3 badger brushes if using on a daily basis so that they can thoroughly dry between shaves.  As much as hate using culled badgers, nothing works as well for me

Thank you

0 8
 03-18-2021, 03:44 PM
User Info
If memory serves me well, 2 exquisite US based artisan shave brush vendors are on this site:
Elite
Paladin

69 2,088
 03-18-2021, 04:24 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Elite is incredible. PM me and will provide you the contact info. Nobody with possible exception of Firdmen is making such incredible brushes and they actually very well priced for such world class quality. HIGHLY recommend Elite.

10 778
 03-18-2021, 05:12 PM
User Info
As suggested you should unfortunately have at least 2, better 3 and ideally 4 badger brushes, if used daily year round for the hairs to dry completely between cycles of use.

A more affordable solution is to rotate between 2 badger brushes and 2 synthetics. But then it’s not the same feeling day in day out.

I personally rotate between mostly badger hair brushes and once in a while my synthetics. I prefer my badgers, but synthetics are fine too.

I own 10 badger brushes and 15 synthetics.
But your husband really just need 2 badgers and 2 synthetics in rotation, and they’ll dry complete between cycles.
If you don’t let the badgers dry, they’ll start wearing out at some point and almost rot at the base of the hair knot.

25 6,997
 03-18-2021, 11:16 PM
User Info
[quote='CHSeifert' pid='971604' dateline='1616116332']
As suggested you should unfortunately have at least 2, better 3 and ideally 4 badger brushes, if used daily year round for the hairs to dry completely between cycles of use.

A more affordable solution is to rotate between 2 badger brushes and 2 synthetics. But then it’s not the same feeling day in day out.

I personally rotate between mostly badger hair brushes and once in a while my synthetics. I prefer my badgers, but synthetics are fine too.

I own 10 badger brushes and 15 synthetics.
But your husband really just need 2 badgers and 2 synthetics in rotation, and they’ll dry complete between cycles.
If you don’t let the badgers dry, they’ll start wearing out at some point and almost rot at the base of the hair knot.
[/quote

Thank you ]

0 8
 03-18-2021, 11:59 PM
User Info
Our grandfathers would be ashamed of us. A non-hobbyist/collector doesn’t need 4 brushes. They need one good brush.

A single Paladin shaving brush will both satisfy your husband, provide many years of shaving excellence, and eventually turn into a collectors item. Pick a 26mm in a shape & color that he’ll enjoy, and gift it to him.

36 2,187
 03-19-2021, 01:34 AM
User Info
(03-18-2021, 03:44 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: If memory serves me well, 2 exquisite US based artisan shave brush vendors are on this site:
Elite
Paladin

Thank you will have a look

0 8
 03-19-2021, 01:40 AM
User Info
(03-18-2021, 08:50 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Hi, any brush (natural hair or synthetic fiber) made by Simpson should make your husband smile. My current favorite is the Trafalgar T3 (synthetic).

Thank you

0 8
 03-19-2021, 01:41 AM
User Info
(03-18-2021, 11:59 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Our grandfathers would be ashamed of us. A non-hobbyist/collector doesn’t need 4 brushes. They need one good brush.

A single Paladin shaving brush will both satisfy your husband, provide many years of shaving excellence, and eventually turn into a collectors item. Pick a 26mm in a shape & color that he’ll enjoy, and gift it to him.

Thank you

0 8
 03-19-2021, 01:53 AM
User Info

Thx

0 8
 03-19-2021, 06:56 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I recommend Simpson, shavemac and Brad Sears Shave Works.  All have websites, but Brad Sears (located in the USA) would be best positioned to give you advice.

9 1,183
 03-20-2021, 05:55 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(03-18-2021, 11:59 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Our grandfathers would be ashamed of us. A non-hobbyist/collector doesn’t need 4 brushes. They need one good brush.

Fully agree! Also, it is important to take a good care of your brush: not to press too hard when lathering and preferably use brush strokes instead of circular movement; to rinse thoroughly after lathering; to wring gently after rinsing; to let it dry fully and not to put in a storing place before the knot is fully dried; once every couple of months to wash it with a de-scamming soap to get rid of the soap residue build up, and to comb it regularly with a wide tooth comb

126 1,963
 03-20-2021, 06:35 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
We’ve all dived in with our recommendations, I’m guilty of this,  without first determining what your husband likes and dislikes about his current brush.  I, for one, am not familiar with that specific brush other than it has a silver tip knot, which I assume to be a 3-band silvertip as opposed to a 2-band silvertip.  In addition to quality/type of badger hair knots come in various shapes and sizes and densities.  For example, my favourite badger knot is a shavemac 3-band silvertip with a diameter no more than 24 mm and a loft of at least 50 mm in a bulb-shape.  This type of knot will have soft tips, medium backbone and medium density.  Some badger knots I’ve had feel like bricks of badger to me because of their loft and density; usually such a knot will not splay easily and the flow through of the lather is not good.  At the other end of the spectrum I’ve had knots that are loose and floppy, feeling like a mop.  In consequence I think you’d be well served to contact a brush maker, such as Brad Sears, to discuss what you want; it’ll cost you a bit more to have an artisan make a brush, but I think it’s money well spent.

9 1,183
 03-21-2021, 04:51 AM
User Info
Savile Row has the best silvertip brushes right now in my opinion.

88 1,828