10-04-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
It came in this morning's mail from Shave-A-Buck down the Shore from me.

The handle is shorter than I like; I knew it would be. But I wanted to try this knock-off of a steel-handled Merkur I saw out there. It looked nice in the picture.

Listed shipping weight for the piece is 0.6lb/272g and the blurb advises you to beware of dropping it on your toe while shaving. I believe you might amputate any digit this falls on. Blush

I loaded a fresh Lab Blue and lathered some LEA sensitive skin cream. It works well. W-/X-/A- TG and a BBS shave. As regards handling, you must remember to use minimal pressure or you'll be bitten, and no foolin'. Dodgy

The smooth steel handle is nicely polished. I wish it was a bit more grip-able. However, it's the only smooth razor I have used and it just may be that my hands prefer a longer handle.

The head assembly is of decent quality and the fit is fine. It came apart easily the first time. I find three-piece axes a minor pain in-the neck to load in general. But I have five such on hand now; I'll get the hang of it. Wink

I would recommend it for those who like a compact but hefty razor with a bit more than average aggression.* It's a good value and it shipped free.

Joe's got himself a nifty little line of axes. This is the third I've bought from him in the last four weeks! :shot:

* for me average = 34C

0 554
 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for the review Michael!

88 4,233
 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
(10-04-2012, 07:04 AM)beartrap Wrote: Thanks for the review Michael!

Steve, the raison d'etre of our thing here is sharing knowledge and opinion.

It's more enjoyable than the political forums I gave up a few weeks ago. And global in scope! Someone in Norway asks a question and he gets answers from Canada, Japan, Australia and Brazil.

So, which Russian aftershaves/colognes should we know about in the States?

0 554
 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Michael for an honest review.

100 12,437
 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to post your review!
Do those handles fit any other heads? Gillette, EJ, etc?

5 135
 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
Oh, I haven't even tried mixing handles yet. The Cadet Handles interchange with my Lord Tech Clone but I believe there's a modern "standard" for most of these things. So, the Egyptian and Indian pieces are compatible. Vintage stuff made in North Am and the UK was machined, obviously, to the Olde English measurements; they'll be hit-or-miss with anything made by metric nations. Doggone it.

Jerry, what's the point of BS when it's just us chickens? Wink

0 554
 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Micheal, thanks for a great review.

1 3,507
 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
(10-04-2012, 08:51 AM)Howler Wrote: Michael, thanks for a great review.

Thank you all!

Might as well face it, I'm addicted to the hobby. Blush

Oh well, keeping the economy going, anyway. Biggrin

0 554
 10-04-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
I found this razor to be on the aggressive side (too much for my face) as well as the Cadet Open Comb that ShaveAbuck came out with.
I guess I am more for milder razors.

The T3 handle would take most other razor heads except for the Cadet's OC. The Cadet heads have a very long screw but as it happens to be, the T3 top plate is nearly identical to the Cadet's so you can just use that top plate with the comb plate of the Cadet.

6 808
 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
(10-04-2012, 12:13 PM)Galhatz Wrote: I found this razor to be on the aggressive side (too much for my face) as well as the Cadet Open Comb that ShaveAbuck came out with.
I guess I am more for milder razors.

The T3 handle would take most other razor heads except for the Cadet's OC. The Cadet heads have a very long screw but as it happens to be, the T3 top plate is nearly identical to the Cadet's so you can just use that top plate with the comb plate of the Cadet.

I just now was setting up/messing around. GMTA.

Since I acquired the OC Cadet and Lord Tech I realize how much milder my previous razors are. Figuring out the ideal configurations will take me the rest of October to work out. Woohoo! Biggrin

0 554
 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Well thanks for the review. I think i keep with the Cadet oc for the times when i whant a agressive shave. But the coolness factor for one of these T3 are very high.

And if you are tired of shaving with one i think you have the possibility to use it as a small hammer if you plan to build something. Tongue

0 284
 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM
User Info
There is a significant amount of cool in this piece. Cool And at 270g it can also be a fine nutcracker.

0 554
 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Michael. No pictures? i thought they were mandatory. Hee hee. Enjoy the razor.

75 20,883