03-31-2021, 11:39 AM
  • Wayjr
  • Kennesaw, GA
User Info
Recently, I purchased some B&M Leviathan. When it came, I opened the jar to smell the scent and didn’t particularly care for it. However, I decided to shave with it before deciding whether to get rid of it or not. I shaved with it and still didn’t particularly care for the scent. But, I decided to give it one more try, because I did like the performance. I used Leviathan to shave with today, and wow the scent was fantastic. So, I’ve changed my mind about the scent. To me it definitely is a fall/ dreary weather scent, but I definitely would put it in my rotation.
Has this ever happened to you?

0 69
 03-31-2021, 01:13 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Continuously. Often when I open the container for the first time, I like/dislike the scent, sometimes intensely.

But, use it a couple of times and set it aside for a month or three, and guess what? It smells great! Or worse.

9 853
 03-31-2021, 04:02 PM
User Info
Only once: Wholly Kaw King of Oud - which didn’t really excite me at first, but over time came to be one of my favorites. It’s likely because I wasn’t familiar with oud scents and needed time to acclimatize.

36 2,187
 04-01-2021, 03:52 AM
User Info
Definitely.
Scents that I though were horrible when I first smelled them were Tabac, which was part of my very first big order with a bunch of other stuff and I remember thinking "Is this what people in the community rave about, this scents?" I was very disappointed with all of them but particularly Tabac. But then it grew up in me, it didn't want to leave me and now I've got the AS balm, the mild AS fluid and the EDT. The other one was Nordic Shaving Co. Pine Tar, the first smell it's just horrible. Now.. I don't love it, but I enjoy it.
The other way there is one scent that I really loved and now I just can't use it, which is Proraso Single Blade Wood & Spice. It reminds me of something that I wont say so I won't spoil the scent for someone. Luckily I didn't buy any of the AS or EDT, but it was in my cart numerous times.

0 3
 04-02-2021, 01:31 PM
User Info
In a word, Tabac.

0 77
 04-03-2021, 05:14 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Yes.  As a rule, I don't allow myself to have any expectations when doing or using something for the first time.  But I do my research to get a general idea of what it may be like.  So when my puck of Diver Down arrived I took in a big whiff.  And I was kind of put off about it.  It wasn't "doing it" for me.  But I paid for it and by golly I was going to use it at least a couple of times.  The aroma has grown on me and I now look forward to using it.  Smells different on the face than in the mug.  Feels great on the face too.

Williams Mug Soap was the same.  Quite pungent at first.  But after a few uses it tamed down and I enjoy it now.  I have one soap from a local artisan soap maker that performs as well as the PAA soaps, but the aroma is a take it or leave it sort of thing.  The puck is mostly gone.  I'm thinking of really using it hard just to get it gone.  And then buy a Stirling or whatever to replace it.

0 397