04-01-2021, 07:02 AM
User Info
So, I bought a 20 pack of kai and did a side by side of my favorite blade, the feather. I used my favorite razor, the rex ambassador. I used the same setting on all 3 passes (setting 3). Same soap, brush, pre shave, etc. I had 3 days of growth. Both new blades.

Result:

Pass one wtg- the feather was significantly smoother. The kai wasn't bad but not as smooth as the feather. Felt like the feather went through my coarse hair with zero effort.

Pass two xtg- they were fairly even. I couldn't feel any significant difference in feel.

Pass three atg- this is where I felt the biggest difference. The feather was so much smoother than the kai. The kai had more drag than the feather where the feather just felt smooth as ever.

Alum block test: very minimal to no stinging on either side. If I had to say which side had more, it would be the feather. Probably meaning a slightly closer shave. Zero cuts, nics, or irritation on either side.

Overall: I achieved a comfortable BBS shave and both blades did well and I had an excellent shave. The advantage goes to the feather for me, on their first shave, in the rex ambassador. The kai is a nice blade but won't be replacing my favorite blade, the feather. [Image: 03237a615acfc32d8d3331c95a1acc6f.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 129
 04-01-2021, 07:07 AM
User Info
Nice. The Kai is slightly wider from edge to edge. I preferred to use them in razors with neutral or negative exposure.

1 152
 04-01-2021, 07:31 AM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 07:07 AM)Kehole Wrote: Nice. The Kai is slightly wider from edge to edge. I preferred to use them in razors with neutral or negative exposure.
I'll use them in my timeless 0.68 sb next

1 129
 04-01-2021, 09:41 AM
User Info
I just got some Kai to compare. I didn't get that in depth, but I agree with the results. The Kai shaves close, but there is something extra about the Feather. Most of my blades get me BBS shaves (PolSilver, Nacet, etc.) but there seems to be an extra "wow" factor when I check my face after using a Feather. Perhaps they shave even closer?

5 784
 04-01-2021, 10:13 AM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 09:41 AM)Mike Distress Wrote: I just got some Kai to compare. I didn't get that in depth, but I agree with the results. The Kai shaves close, but there is something extra about the Feather. Most of my blades get me BBS shaves (PolSilver, Nacet, etc.) but there seems to be an extra "wow" factor when I check my face after using a Feather. Perhaps they shave even closer?
Yeah man feather blades are outstanding for me.

1 129
 04-01-2021, 11:15 AM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 10:13 AM)FayizD Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:41 AM)Mike Distress Wrote: I just got some Kai to compare. I didn't get that in depth, but I agree with the results. The Kai shaves close, but there is something extra about the Feather. Most of my blades get me BBS shaves (PolSilver, Nacet, etc.) but there seems to be an extra "wow" factor when I check my face after using a Feather. Perhaps they shave even closer?
Yeah man feather blades are outstanding for me.  

I find using them in my milder razors yields outstanding performance and efficiency for me. The only time I tried them in an aggressive razor was when I had 4+ weeks growth and it mowed through with no problem.

5 784
 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM
User Info
I'm interested in this

1 129
 04-01-2021, 04:56 PM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 11:51 AM)FayizD Wrote: I'm interested in this

What do you mean specifically?

5 784
 04-02-2021, 03:39 AM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 04:56 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Weird. I think I was supposed to respond to another thread but there was a glitch

1 129
 04-02-2021, 03:43 AM
User Info
(04-01-2021, 04:56 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

It was supposed to be under the tatara adjustable thread

1 129
 04-02-2021, 08:15 AM
User Info
(04-02-2021, 03:43 AM)FayizD Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:56 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

It was supposed to be under the tatara adjustable thread

Oh, ok. Haha!

5 784
 04-02-2021, 09:25 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-01-2021, 07:02 AM)FayizD Wrote: So, I bought a 20 pack of kai and did a side by side of my favorite blade, the feather. I used my favorite razor, the rex ambassador. I used the same setting on all 3 passes (setting 3). Same soap, brush, pre shave, etc. I had 3 days of growth. Both new blades. 

Overall: I achieved a comfortable BBS shave and both blades did well and I had an excellent shave. The advantage goes to the feather for me, on their first shave, in the rex ambassador. The kai is a nice blade but won't be replacing my favorite blade, the feather.

On the one hand, I have had a broader base of experience than you have had, having gone through roughly 200 blades of each brand over the past few years, and using the blades in (depending upon definition) two or three different razors.. On the other hand your (apparently) same-shave comparisons are something I have not essayed:  with very few exceptions, the blade in my razor at the end of a shave is the blade that I loaded into the razor before the shave.  

Aside from the blade comparison, My experience has been that I get a closer shave with a three-days' growth than I do with a (my usual) one day's growth.  

The biggest difference that I can discern between the KAI and the Feather blades is when I load them in the razor fitted with the Ikon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate.  In that configuration, the KAI is clearly superior, which I attribute to less flexion along the cutting edge of the blade than the Feather has in that configuration.  There is much less difference between the two blades when mounted in the Ikon Stainless Slant, which I attribute to the increased stiffness imparted by the diagonal torquing of the blade.  There is an even smaller difference when the blades are loaded in the Feather AS-D2 safety bar razor, which clamps both sides of the blade tightly both above and below the full length of the cutting edge. 

1 1,487
 04-02-2021, 11:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-02-2021, 09:25 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 07:02 AM)FayizD Wrote: So, I bought a 20 pack of kai and did a side by side of my favorite blade, the feather. I used my favorite razor, the rex ambassador. I used the same setting on all 3 passes (setting 3). Same soap, brush, pre shave, etc. I had 3 days of growth. Both new blades. 

Overall: I achieved a comfortable BBS shave and both blades did well and I had an excellent shave. The advantage goes to the feather for me, on their first shave, in the rex ambassador. The kai is a nice blade but won't be replacing my favorite blade, the feather.

On the one hand, I have had a broader base of experience than you have had, having gone through roughly 200 blades of each brand over the past few years, and using the blades in (depending upon definition) two or three different razors.. On the other hand your (apparently) same-shave comparisons are something I have not essayed:  with very few exceptions, the blade in my razor at the end of a shave is the blade that I loaded into the razor before the shave.  

Aside from the blade comparison, My experience has been that I get a closer shave with a three-days' growth than I do with a (my usual) one day's growth.  

The biggest difference that I can discern between the KAI and the Feather blades is when I load them in the razor fitted with the Ikon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate.  In that configuration, the KAI is clearly superior, which I attribute to less flexion along the cutting edge of the blade than the Feather has in that configuration.  There is much less difference between the two blades when mounted in the Ikon Stainless Slant, which I attribute to the increased stiffness imparted by the diagonal torquing of the blade.  There is an even smaller difference when the blades are loaded in the Feather AS-D2 safety bar razor, which clamps both sides of the blade tightly both above and below the full length of the cutting edge. 

Agreed  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

20 5,588