10-04-2012, 12:38 PM
User Info
I have heard a lot about these Cadet razors lately, and with my recent successful foray into the world of open comb shaving, I figured I could stand to add a piece or two to my pitiful razor collection. This particular piece was recommended to me by a friend, and that black and chrome handle really caught my eye.

When I received the razor, the first thing I noticed was the size. In both length and weight, this razor is by far the largest I've used (my only two others being a Merkur 33C and a Gillette NEW). The razor is a very solid piece, very well built, I only noticed one small imperfection on the cap that doesn't bother me at all, and doesn't affect the shave. I also noticed that the thread to attach the head to the handle is extremely long.

The next morning saw this razor's first use, and while I'm not too keen on razors at present, I would go out on a limb and say this is a fairly aggressive razor. One pass WTG was equivalent to two passes with a few touch-ups on my 33C. For my skin/hair type (very thick, coarse, fast-growing), this razor is a dream. The open comb head would probably not be a good fit for someone with lighter or more sparse growth, but they also have a safety bar head available.

It has taken a few days to really get used to the weight and length, but I have had no blood loss and very little irritation, that being just on the first day. The past few days with this razor have seen fantastic shaves. It is a very efficient cutting machine that does not mess around at all, which means that you must also take some extra care when using it.

I can't comment on the other pieces from this brand, but if I can at all make a judgment based on this one razor, I would say there is no reason that anyone shouldn't have one. They seem to be well-built and are very reasonably priced pieces.

2 362
 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
Thank you for the great review Seth.

4 365
 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Great review. Have a tp-26 oc myself. A great razor that provides a incredible close shave. And as you say, it does make much anything else looking very small in comparison. My NEW looks like a toy. Biggrin

0 284
 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Cadet line is a pleasant surprise to many who thought that razors made in India would be sub-par. Well worth the price that is charged by vendors and now it appears Italian Barber is selling them under his own brand label.

100 12,439
 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
I wasn't aware Joe was selling them too. Looks like he doesn't have any open combs yet, but it's very nice to see an affordable option with such good quality.

2 362
 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
User Info
Seth, thanks for the review and enjoy the razor.

75 20,883
 10-05-2012, 04:11 AM
User Info
I too am a pleasantly surprised fan of the TP-26 Cadet open comb razor. I purchased this razor after reading a thread started by MichiganLover reviewing this razor on B&B.

For me this is an aggressive razor, but not over the top like the Muhle R41 (2011). The solid handle adds some serious heft which along with the geometry of the head allows for a very nice shaver for my face.

I've tried it with a few different blades (Personna Red, Astra Stainless, Voskhod and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and it seems to work equally well with all of them.

I've wondered if these aren't customized Parker razors as they seem very similar to a Parker 91R which was my original razor (a nice aggressive shaver, but not a good choice as a learning razor).

Assuming that the new Razorock razors are the same razors. Italian Barber describes their new razors as "The Twist-to-Open models are chrome over a brass frame, the way it should be! The Three-Piece models sport a chrome over brass handle with a chrome over zinc alloy head". I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch, but assume that these razors will last much longer than my thinly-chromed POT metal Merkur razors.

As much as I enjoy reading all of the reviews on the Nook, the newer stainless razors are simply beyond my budget. These new offerings give the budget minded shaver some very good options. Time to sell some of my unused vintage Gillettes and explore more of these new offerings.

3 452
 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
I have a TP-26 OC coming in tomorrow and I'm very excited. I'm kind of backwards with this but I am a straight razor user falling in love with DE safety razors. After getting a Merkur 34c HD to speed up the morning process of shaving my head and face and I love it. The DE razor allows me to go against the grain on the back of my head easilly(hard to do with a straight)but I need a little more aggressivness than my Merkur 34c HD. I was going back and forth between the Fatip Piccolo and the TP-26 before I pulled the trigger on the TP-26. From the reviews I have read, this razor should be right on time.

0 6
 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-05-2012, 04:11 AM)redrako Wrote: I've wondered if these aren't customized Parker razors as they seem very similar to a Parker 91R which was my original razor

Nope...these are made by a completely different factory. Cool

45 16,298
 10-05-2012, 04:07 PM
User Info
(10-05-2012, 01:54 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-05-2012, 04:11 AM)redrako Wrote: I've wondered if these aren't customized Parker razors as they seem very similar to a Parker 91R which was my original razor

Nope...these are made by a completely different factory. Cool

Thanks, that's interesting.

3 452
 10-06-2012, 01:07 AM
User Info
Great review Seth. Being that we talk much more on Google + than on here, I have known for a few days that you have been enjoying the shaves ith it.

It really has become my favorite open comb, as it just removes so much hair in one pass. So far the Sharks and the Med Preps have worked the best for me when paired with it.

5 833
 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
(10-06-2012, 01:07 AM)Azarius Wrote: Great review Seth. Being that we talk much more on Google + than on here, I have known for a few days that you have been enjoying the shaves ith it.

It really has become my favorite open comb, as it just removes so much hair in one pass. So far the Sharks and the Med Preps have worked the best for me when paired with it.

Yes Shark (i gues where talking about ss here) works very fine for me to.

However i got a less pleasent shave with a new Rapira ss a moment ago. Got rashes and some tiny weepers on my neck. Have a area where the sin is not completly smooth. I think i did everything right.

Imo, The Rapira ss is a very good blade but maybe not a good combination with the Cadet oc. Ymmv i know, so others may have a different view ofcourse.

0 284
 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Nice looking razor. Thanks for the review. I will have to check them out.

1 265
 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
User Info
I have a TP-01, which uses the same head asfar as I can tell. Shaves very well with a Wilkinson Sword, and well enough with a Derby blade. Might try with a Shark next - they perform well in my Merkur Open Combs.

3 3,560
 10-06-2012, 11:48 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Can someone please compare it to any other, more known OC razors?

88 4,233
 10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
User Info
Again assuming that the head of the TP-26 is the same as on the TP-01 - and it certainly looks the same - what I said in my review of the TP-01 should hold true:
Quote:The shave I get from the TP-01 is a bit more aggressive and less mild than I get from my other open combs - since the blade angle of the Cadet and my Merkur OCs is virtually the same as far as I can tell, it must be down to blade exposure and blade gap
My other Open Combs are the Merkur 25C and 985CL, both of which has the same head as the Merkur 41C (aka '1904').

Hope that helps Smile

3 3,560
 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
User Info
My TP-27 came in today from BullGoose(thanks Phil)and it is just what I was looking for in a DE razor. Haven't got a full head and face shave yet but I gave it a little try on my neck and I was blown-away how comfortable an close the shave was. Can't wait to give it the full go tomorrow morning.

0 6