04-24-2021, 06:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have been working with a mechanical engineer to update and refine the Asylum Rx. The original Rx was a fairly aggressive shaver that was was probably not ideally suited as an everyday shaver. While we may re-release the aggressive model at some point, we are currently working on a model that should be a little less aggressive and smoother. There are a few cosmetic changes as well as a slight reduction in blade exposure. Production of this model is still a ways off but, we have received the drawings as well as a 3D CAD model.  We hope to receive prototypes soon and then, we will shop it to a few machine shops in the area. In any case, I thought I'd share the 3D model with you. If you click the link, you will be able to spin the razor in all directions with your mouse (or finger if you have a touch screen).

https://autode.sk/3vaiLDL

54 22,373
 04-24-2021, 08:39 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

1 364
 04-24-2021, 09:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-24-2021, 08:39 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

Thank you. Our next step is to make functional prototypes and then its off to production. The tricky thing is the design is hard to machine -it requires some specialized CNC machines that most small shops are not going to have (5 Axis and possible EDM). At the larger shops that do have these machines, I have to compete for machine time with Aerospace and other large contracts. As a result, we get low priority. Its a SLOW process.

54 22,373
 04-24-2021, 12:23 PM
User Info
(04-24-2021, 09:44 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 08:39 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

Thank you. Our next step is to make functional prototypes and then its off to production. The tricky thing is the design is hard to machine -it requires some specialized CNC machines that most small shops are not going to have (5 Axis and possible EDM). At the larger shops that do have these machines, I have to compete for machine time with Aerospace and other large contracts. As a result, we get low priority. Its a SLOW process.

Understood Phil!! This one will be well worth the wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 1,622
 04-26-2021, 01:21 AM
User Info
 04-26-2021, 06:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2021, 01:21 AM)nongillette Wrote: What happend to this one? 

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=58384

Rocnel was unable to make it. It’s a challenging design to machine that requires both a 5 axis machine and a customized apparatus for the CNC machine. After making a few prototypes, they determined that it would be too costly for them to produce.

54 22,373
 04-26-2021, 08:08 AM
User Info
(04-24-2021, 06:51 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I have been working with a mechanical engineer to update and refine the Asylum Rx. The original Rx was a fairly aggressive shaver that was was probably not ideally suited as an everyday shaver. While we may re-release the aggressive model at some point, we are currently working on a model that should be a little less aggressive and smoother. There are a few cosmetic changes as well as a slight reduction in blade exposure. Production of this model is still a ways off but, we have received the drawings as well as a 3D CAD model.  We hope to receive prototypes soon and then, we will shop it to a few machine shops in the area. In any case, I thought I'd share the 3D model with you. If you click the link, you will be able to spin the razor in all directions with your mouse (or finger if you have a touch screen).

https://autode.sk/3vaiLDL

Phil,

I use my Asylum RX quite a bit and generally get excellent results.

What do you expect the "Version II" will provide shavers that the original does not?

TIA

0 81
 06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
User Info
I find the Asylum RX to be quite a smooth shaver.  It may be my favorite.

1 170
 07-06-2021, 07:10 PM
User Info
I thought my desire for new razors was more or less satiated ... and then I saw this thread. I'm actually more excited about this as opposed to a Rocnel collaboration. The first Asylum Rx looked amazing whereas (for me) Rocnel designs are a bit hit-or-miss -- always innovative but more commonly not my preferred style. So if this is a revision of one of the best looking SE-AC razors that looked phenomenal with innovative design, that is better news IMO.

Looking forward to hearing more.

If possible, it would be cool to see pictures of the Asylum-Rocnel prototype that will never be, assuming confidentiality agreements allow.

EDIT: The posting of the 3D image of the prototype in the first thread has expired. Possible to re-post?

3 76
 09-12-2021, 11:26 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
We are working with a factory on the east coast to produce a new run of Asylum Rx razors in 316L stainless steel. We are still in the prototype phase but, things are looking promising. More information should be forthcoming soon.

[Image: gzbB7pY.jpg]

54 22,373
 09-12-2021, 12:22 PM
User Info
(09-12-2021, 11:26 AM)bullgoose Wrote: We are working with a factory on the east coast to produce a new run of Asylum Rx razors in 316L stainless steel. We are still in the prototype phase but, things are looking promising. More information should be forthcoming soon.

[Image: gzbB7pY.jpg]

Those prototypes look great, Phil.  I expect the return of the Rx will be well received.

60 11,785
 09-12-2021, 12:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you Ricardo. I'm looking forward to testing them out

54 22,373
 09-12-2021, 03:50 PM
User Info
Phil:

Question: How does the prospective Asylum RX compare to the original version you sold a few years ago.  I.e., since I already have the original RX what, if any, performance difference might I expect?

Comment: For those not familiar with the previous Asylum RX it is, in my experience, a superb shaving tool.  Using this razor with Feather ProGuard blades I can routinely obtain extremely close, irritation-free shaves.  In this regard it has proven superior to my Rocnel, Rex Envoy and Charcoal Goods razors.  My experience with the various blades that fit the Asylum RX varied considerably with the ProGuard working best for me.

If you haven't tried the Asylum RX then I suggest trying one when the new version becomes available.  I found the learning curve to be a short one with the caveat that a very light touch is mandatory.  While the Artist Club-style blades cost more than DE blades they are made of much thicker steel and in my experience produce smooth results for more shaves than the DEs.  Even the first shave with a new ProGuard is quite smooth. YMMV

0 81
 09-12-2021, 04:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-12-2021, 03:50 PM)Mazama Wrote: Phil:

Question: How does the prospective Asylum RX compare to the original version you sold a few years ago.  I.e., since I already have the original RX what, if any, performance difference might I expect?

Comment: For those not familiar with the previous Asylum RX it is, in my experience, a superb shaving tool.  Using this razor with Feather ProGuard blades I can routinely obtain extremely close, irritation-free shaves.  In this regard it has proven superior to my Rocnel, Rex Envoy and Charcoal Goods razors.  My experience with the various blades that fit the Asylum RX varied considerably with the ProGuard working best for me.

If you haven't tried the Asylum RX then I suggest trying one when the new version becomes available.  I found the learning curve to be a short one with the caveat that a very light touch is mandatory.  While the Artist Club-style blades cost more than DE blades they are made of much thicker steel and in my experience produce smooth results for more shaves than the DEs.  Even the first shave with a new ProGuard is quite smooth. YMMV
The new Rx should be very similar to the original. The new version will be made from 316L stainless rather than 303 stainless and, we will be using a different manufacturing process. The design is extremely difficult to machine so the first go around, we had to make some compromises so that it could be machined. This time, it will be made exactly as it was originally conceived.

54 22,373
 10-09-2021, 01:50 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I received the prototypes of the next generation Asylum Rx yesterday.  This version of the razor is still plenty aggressive and it still commands respect but, it is a bit smoother with slightly less blade feel. I took it for its maiden voyage today with a Schick Pro-line blade and enjoyed a two pass BBS shave.

[Image: wwW9plu.jpg]

54 22,373
 11-13-2021, 09:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Here are a few shots of the second prototype for the second generation Rx. We hope to have production razors by January.

[Image: dV4mUwu.jpg][Image: afqM5EN.jpg]

54 22,373
 11-13-2021, 09:25 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
 11-13-2021, 10:16 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Looks fantastic Phil.

10 2,717
 11-13-2021, 10:25 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-13-2021, 10:16 AM)clint64 Wrote: Looks fantastic Phil.

Thank you Clint!

54 22,373
 11-13-2021, 10:33 AM
User Info
Looking mighty slick Phil. I like how the logo on the bottom knob looks.

3 7,943