04-24-2021, 06:51 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have been working with a mechanical engineer to update and refine the Asylum Rx. The original Rx was a fairly aggressive shaver that was was probably not ideally suited as an everyday shaver. While we may re-release the aggressive model at some point, we are currently working on a model that should be a little less aggressive and smoother. There are a few cosmetic changes as well as a slight reduction in blade exposure. Production of this model is still a ways off but, we have received the drawings as well as a 3D CAD model.  We hope to receive prototypes soon and then, we will shop it to a few machine shops in the area. In any case, I thought I'd share the 3D model with you. If you click the link, you will be able to spin the razor in all directions with your mouse (or finger if you have a touch screen).

https://autode.sk/3vaiLDL

54 21,983
 04-24-2021, 08:39 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

1 348
 04-24-2021, 09:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-24-2021, 08:39 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

Thank you. Our next step is to make functional prototypes and then its off to production. The tricky thing is the design is hard to machine -it requires some specialized CNC machines that most small shops are not going to have (5 Axis and possible EDM). At the larger shops that do have these machines, I have to compete for machine time with Aerospace and other large contracts. As a result, we get low priority. Its a SLOW process.

54 21,983
 04-24-2021, 12:23 PM
User Info
(04-24-2021, 09:44 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 08:39 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Looks good to me. Besides, The King of SE’s has been alone far too long. It needs a Queen to share the podium. Sisi Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in the near future and may the shave gods allow this endeavor to be problem free from start to finish.....  Thumbsup

Thank you. Our next step is to make functional prototypes and then its off to production. The tricky thing is the design is hard to machine -it requires some specialized CNC machines that most small shops are not going to have (5 Axis and possible EDM). At the larger shops that do have these machines, I have to compete for machine time with Aerospace and other large contracts. As a result, we get low priority. Its a SLOW process.

Understood Phil!! This one will be well worth the wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 1,611
 04-26-2021, 01:21 AM
User Info
 04-26-2021, 06:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2021, 01:21 AM)nongillette Wrote: What happend to this one? 

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=58384

Rocnel was unable to make it. It’s a challenging design to machine that requires both a 5 axis machine and a customized apparatus for the CNC machine. After making a few prototypes, they determined that it would be too costly for them to produce.

54 21,983
 04-26-2021, 08:08 AM
User Info
(04-24-2021, 06:51 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I have been working with a mechanical engineer to update and refine the Asylum Rx. The original Rx was a fairly aggressive shaver that was was probably not ideally suited as an everyday shaver. While we may re-release the aggressive model at some point, we are currently working on a model that should be a little less aggressive and smoother. There are a few cosmetic changes as well as a slight reduction in blade exposure. Production of this model is still a ways off but, we have received the drawings as well as a 3D CAD model.  We hope to receive prototypes soon and then, we will shop it to a few machine shops in the area. In any case, I thought I'd share the 3D model with you. If you click the link, you will be able to spin the razor in all directions with your mouse (or finger if you have a touch screen).

https://autode.sk/3vaiLDL

Phil,

I use my Asylum RX quite a bit and generally get excellent results.

What do you expect the "Version II" will provide shavers that the original does not?

TIA

0 71
 06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
User Info
I find the Asylum RX to be quite a smooth shaver.  It may be my favorite.

1 170