05-01-2021, 04:49 PM
User Info
One of the interesting things about traditional wet shaving is the number of factors that go into the shave. For some time--well more than a year--I have been using DR Harris lavender once a week. The other days I use one of the Proraso soaps. I have never noticed enough difference to justify paying more for the DR Harris. But today, using a Kent BK 2 badger brush, I face lathered the DR Harris, and it was like silk. Incredible. I am not sure if I had just the right amount of water or used more of the soap than usual, but it was close to perfect. Go figure.

0 153
 05-01-2021, 05:45 PM
User Info
I never tried DR Harris, but this thing happened to me quite a few time. Some time it seem like I hit the perfect sweet spot with the water/soap ratio and I get a tremendous shave. Sometimes with the same soap I get a good shave  but nothing as closed to when I hit that sweet spot! And some brand are trickier then other to hit that perfect ratio. 

Even if the soap can take it, I also found that adding too much water at the time to quickly resulted in a less creamy and dense lather then adding the same amount of water a little bit at a time.

0 340
 05-01-2021, 06:05 PM
User Info
(05-01-2021, 04:49 PM)Ilnones Wrote: ...But today, using a Kent BK 2 badger brush, I face lathered the DR Harris, and it was like silk. Incredible. I am not sure if I had just the right amount of water or used more of the soap than usual, but it was close to perfect. Go figure.

I find DR Harris hard soaps to be superb.  Among the venerable surviving five Georgian/Victorian shaving shops of London, DR Harris are the "last man standing" in keeping to their tallowate based shaving soap formula after all the others abandoned it.

However Harris' shaving creams are mediocre in my experience and I'd choose Proraso creams over any of the creams offered by the Georgian/Victorian shops with T&H's Authentic No. 10 shaving cream being an exception due to the exceptional ingredient list of efficacious oils.

0 71
 05-01-2021, 06:09 PM
User Info
(05-01-2021, 05:45 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: Even if the soap can take it, I also found that adding too much water at the time to quickly resulted in a less creamy and dense lather then adding the same amount of water a little bit at a time.

I now keep a small spoon like those used with espresso - just about a quarter-teaspoon size - to add a just a bit of warm water from the bowl in which I soak by brush to soap I prepare as I bowl lather.  It works great and bowl lathering has allowed be to produce "perfect" lather on a consistent basis.

0 71
 05-01-2021, 06:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
DR Harris are wonderful soaps. I’m especially fond of Arlington and Marlborough.

19 5,034
 05-04-2021, 10:05 AM
User Info
DRH soaps are the (lather) bomb!!
I love their scents and have all but Marlborough, which I had to sell as it didn't agree with me.

0 116
 05-04-2021, 01:42 PM
User Info
DRH triple milled are great soaps.  I face lather, so I load the brush in the DRH bowl.

60 11,031
 05-08-2021, 06:56 PM
  • TonyN
  • Buford, GA US
User Info
DRH Arlington, Marlborough and Windsor are all great scents with really good performance. I have a new puck of Lavender and a couple Windsor stashed away.

1 474
 05-15-2021, 03:39 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(05-01-2021, 06:09 PM)Mazama Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 05:45 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: Even if the soap can take it, I also found that adding too much water at the time to quickly resulted in a less creamy and dense lather then adding the same amount of water a little bit at a time.

I now keep a small spoon like those used with espresso - just about a quarter-teaspoon size - to add a just a bit of warm water from the bowl in which I soak by brush to soap I prepare as I bowl lather.  It works great and bowl lathering has allowed be to produce "perfect" lather on a consistent basis.

For myself, I now soak the brush in hot water; gently squeeze the knot; load the brush (Simpson T3 Trafalgar) allowing excess soapy water to drip into my bowl; then bowl lather. Perfect for me, YMMV.

0 518