05-03-2021, 10:35 AM
User Info
Been DE shaving since October 2020  and find I like mild razors with sharp blades.  My everyday razor is the Rockwell 6c using plates #2 and #3.  While looking for another mild modern razor a friend suggested I check out vintage Gillette razors as they are generally pretty mild.  So I did and got the 2 razors below.  I am not a collector but thought as long as they are mild it would be cool to have a couple of vintage Gillette razors to rotate with.  Don't know if I got the pictures inserted correctly but the links go to my Google Docs site and are not "spam".

1940s Gillette Gold Tech Razor
1940s Gillette Gold Tech

1955 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed Razor
1955 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed

I have tried both of them now and find the Tech a hair milder than the Super Speed.  My question is for all of you savvy people out there whether or not the Gillette Tech razors are generally same or even more mild than their counterparts the Super Speeds?

TIA,
Chappy

0 42
 05-03-2021, 11:32 AM
User Info
I don't have a Tech to compare my TV Special (Superspeed variation) with, but I know that my Gillette Old types are milder than the TV Special.

3 7,501
 05-03-2021, 05:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
If mild equates to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves, my preference is for Techs over Super Speeds. I find Techs to be more nimble and maneuverable. Techs also seem to hold the blade more rigidly. For me, those two factors lead to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves. Therefore, imo Techs provide a milder shave than do Super Speeds.

19 5,034
 05-03-2021, 07:36 PM
User Info
(05-03-2021, 05:30 PM)chazt Wrote: If mild equates to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves, my preference is for Techs over Super Speeds. I find Techs to be more nimble and maneuverable. Techs also seem to hold the blade more rigidly. For me, those two factors lead to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves. Therefore, imo Techs provide a milder shave than do Super Speeds.

That is the way I'm feeling but wanted to see if others agreed.  Just out of curiosity, how would a Gillette Slim Adjustable fit in here?  I'm guessing I would get similar results as the Tech with a low setting like 2-4?

0 42
 05-03-2021, 08:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-03-2021, 07:36 PM)Chappy Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 05:30 PM)chazt Wrote: If mild equates to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves, my preference is for Techs over Super Speeds. I find Techs to be more nimble and maneuverable. Techs also seem to hold the blade more rigidly. For me, those two factors lead to smooth, hassle-free, no irritation shaves. Therefore, imo Techs provide a milder shave than do Super Speeds.

That is the way I'm feeling but wanted to see if others agreed.  Just out of curiosity, how would a Gillette Slim Adjustable fit in here?  I'm guessing I would get similar results as the Tech with a low setting like 2-4?

Never used a Slim. But I have in the past owned two short handled Super Adjustables, and presently have a long handle version. While I prefer the look of the shorter handle, the longer handle model strangely seems to work better for me. But that doesn’t answer your question... to me they are different creatures. Razors with silo doors (regardless of model) have a different profile from 3 piece razors (and even then, different TTO versions will have different profiles). This difference affects my technique in such a way that consistently gives the edge to Techs. I arrived at this conclusion after an extended love affair with Red Tips. At one point I’d collected a half dozen Red Tips, now down to one. Lately when I do reach for a TTO it’s an E1 Flair Tip. For me, Tech shaves vastly outnumber Super Speed shaves. And as they say, ymmv.

19 5,034
 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM
User Info
My favorite mild razor is the Gillette Pre-war tech.  So much so, that I don't even bother with any newer made mild razors from artisans.  I only have aggressive razors from those artisans like Charcoal Goods and Wolfman.

1 663
 05-04-2021, 06:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-04-2021, 01:41 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: My favorite mild razor is the Gillette Pre-war tech.  So much so, that I don't even bother with any newer made mild razors from artisans.  I only have aggressive razors from those artisans like Charcoal Goods and Wolfman.

So many times I’ve said to myself that the prewar Tech could be the only razor I’d ever need. But then I wake up.

19 5,034
 05-05-2021, 12:27 PM
User Info
(05-04-2021, 01:41 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: My favorite mild razor is the Gillette Pre-war tech.  So much so, that I don't even bother with any newer made mild razors from artisans.  I only have aggressive razors from those artisans like Charcoal Goods and Wolfman.

After having these 2 vintage Gillette razors I'm wondering why even bother with any new mild modern razors at all.  Besides, the new razor usually costs more too.  My Rockwell 6c did and it is considered cheap!  It is also fun to realize I'm shaving with a 66 year old and about 75 year old razor.   Biggrin

Thanks again for everyone's input and if you would like to post more please do as I'm learning.  Let's see, Google pre-war Gillette razor.......

0 42
 05-05-2021, 01:49 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
The Techs are indeed very mild. superspeeds except for maybe the black tip flare are a bit less mild however it is important to remember that these razors were designed for thicker blades and many gents find that shimming the blade is the way to go to get the best of mild and efficient. Personally, I have not had success with using a shim.

0 518
 05-06-2021, 02:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-05-2021, 01:49 PM)RyznRio Wrote: The Techs are indeed very mild. superspeeds except for maybe the black tip flare are a bit less mild however it is important to remember that these razors were designed for thicker blades and many gents find that shimming the blade is the way to go to get the best of mild and efficient. Personally, I have not had success with using a shim.

I’m a convert. It’s close to shave nirvana if you ask me.

19 5,034
 05-06-2021, 05:22 PM
User Info
Looked up shimming and understand to make a razor more aggressive you put the shim between the blade and the base.  To make a razor more mild you put the shim between the blade and the top cap.  Used  a set of "shop scissors" and made a couple of shims from old blades by trimming just the cutter portion of the blade on both sides.  Played with them today but got dismal results as I couldn't really tell any difference.

0 42
 05-06-2021, 06:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-06-2021, 05:22 PM)Chappy Wrote: Looked up shimming and understand to make a razor more aggressive you put the shim between the blade and the base.  To make a razor more mild you put the shim between the blade and the top cap.  Used  a set of "shop scissors" and made a couple of shims from old blades by trimming just the cutter portion of the blade on both sides.  Played with them today but got dismal results as I couldn't really tell any difference.

That’s unfortunate. What razor did you try shimming? Maybe try a different razor. I’ve found that some razors work better shimmed than others. Try again... seems a waste to waste perfectly good shims.

19 5,034
 05-06-2021, 06:40 PM
User Info
(05-06-2021, 06:32 PM)chazt Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 05:22 PM)Chappy Wrote: Looked up shimming and understand to make a razor more aggressive you put the shim between the blade and the base.  To make a razor more mild you put the shim between the blade and the top cap.  Used  a set of "shop scissors" and made a couple of shims from old blades by trimming just the cutter portion of the blade on both sides.  Played with them today but got dismal results as I couldn't really tell any difference.

That’s unfortunate. What razor did you try shimming? Maybe try a different razor. I’ve found that some razors work better shimmed than others. Try again... seems a waste to waste perfectly good shims.

Will try it on a Gillette Tech tomorrow.

0 42
 05-07-2021, 10:18 AM
User Info
Success!!  What I was doing wrong is not using enough shims.  Picture below shows what I used.  Weishi 9306-F is considered a mild razor but it is even milder for me with 2 shims between the top cap and blade.  This was the 3rd shave with this razor and 5th 3-pass shave with the Voskhod blade.  Blade felt smooth enough today I will use it again tomorrow and then trash the blade which is my normal usage with these blades.

Weishi 9306-F & 2 Shims

0 42
 05-07-2021, 10:39 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-07-2021, 10:18 AM)Chappy Wrote: Success!!  What I was doing wrong is not using enough shims.  Picture below shows what I used.  Weishi 9306-F is considered a mild razor but it is even milder for me with 2 shims between the top cap and blade.  This was the 3rd shave with this razor and 5th 3-pass shave with the Voskhod blade.  Blade felt smooth enough today I will use it again tomorrow and then trash the blade which is my normal usage with these blades.

Weishi 9306-F & 2 Shims

Isn’t it Fab when you find the Gear?

[Image: 9a9iTz6.jpg]

19 5,034
 05-07-2021, 11:47 AM
User Info
(05-07-2021, 10:39 AM)chazt Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 10:18 AM)Chappy Wrote: Success!!  What I was doing wrong is not using enough shims.  Picture below shows what I used.  Weishi 9306-F is considered a mild razor but it is even milder for me with 2 shims between the top cap and blade.  This was the 3rd shave with this razor and 5th 3-pass shave with the Voskhod blade.  Blade felt smooth enough today I will use it again tomorrow and then trash the blade which is my normal usage with these blades.

Weishi 9306-F & 2 Shims

Isn’t it Fab when you find the Gear?

[Image: 9a9iTz6.jpg]

Yep!  And even learned something new and how to do it!  ?

0 42