05-05-2021, 01:15 PM
User Info
I just received the cap and base plate. I wanted to post about this while it was still fresh since I just used it. I used a PolSilver Super Iridium blade. The main thing I will say is: AGGRESSIVE!!! I Will say I have used many what would be considered aggressive razors and this was the most aggressive. I have used open combs, adjustable wide open, etc. I almost never nick myself. If I do it is a rare, very minor one and in consistent areas. Ever finish a shave and notice, crap I got nicked? Yep, me too. You almost never felt them when they happen. With this setup I literally felt it every time I got nicked or cut, whichever it would be considered. And it happened a lot. My post shave towel looked like it was lifted from a crime scene. There appears to be significant blade exposure with this setup and you really feel the blade when shaving. I generally do not mind this, but I will say it is highly likely I will not even try this setup again. It was a bit much for me. Beautiful pieces, make no mistake. Simply doesn't seem like it is working for me. I never got nicked this much when I first used a DE. This may be more than I have been nicked since I have been using a DE. Perhaps a slight exaggeration for effect, but not far off, if not accurate. Otherwise a close, great shave minus the injuries. Aggressive razors and blood thinners don't mix kids. 

[Image: zlPO2iW.jpg]
[Image: JW0sM3y.jpg]

5 784
 05-05-2021, 01:53 PM
User Info
It seems that Timeless is very aware.  Their page says AGGRESSIVE a lot.  Did you note the comments about "don't press" and getting the angle right?

Thanks for the hands-on...  Definitely not the razor for me.

0 20
 05-05-2021, 02:58 PM
User Info
(05-05-2021, 01:53 PM)rmongiovi Wrote: It seems that Timeless is very aware.  Their page says AGGRESSIVE a lot.  Did you note the comments about "don't press" and getting the angle right?

Thanks for the hands-on...  Definitely not the razor for me.

Yes, I definitely saw that on the site. I actually bought it for the reason of aggressiveness. I have the0.95 which is supposed to be medium aggressive and I found it to be, for me personally, incredibly mild.

Obviously I don’t think I realize how aggressive it could actually be. With the first couple strokes I was actually loving it and then realized after my first pass I had a few little nicks which got worse by the time I was done with both passes.

I generally don’t press with any my razors, even if they are mild ones. I would like to try this again and definitely pay a little bit more attention to the touch if I was going to hard, and the angle as well as speed.

5 784
 05-05-2021, 03:27 PM
User Info
It is really so strange in a way. This goes to prove everybody's experience is different. I just shaved with the Ti Slim SB and the Ti .95 scalloped and found very little difference. Both smooth and very efficient. No cuts or weepers at all. Ti Slim was slightly more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

32 1,044
 05-05-2021, 03:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Mike, thanks for your initial impressions. I understand how a razor can be just “too much” for a person’s skin and beard. Generally speaking I walk on the mild side. Less drama. OTOH, maybe give this one a fair trial and see how it goes. You might like it after all... Enjoy your shaves Smile

20 5,588
 05-05-2021, 08:04 PM
User Info
(05-05-2021, 03:27 PM)rawfox1 Wrote: It is really so strange in a way. This goes to prove everybody's experience is different. I just shaved with the Ti Slim SB and the Ti .95 scalloped and found very little difference. Both smooth and very efficient. No cuts or weepers at all. Ti Slim was slightly more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
It really is. For me the 0.95 was almost like I was shaving without a blade in it. It does show the only results that you can count on to indicate performance is your own. I have never had an experience like with the Slim so far. Could very well be user error, I will try again as I really want to like the product. I was really liking it out of the gate, the noticed some nicks. The worst was after my ATG pass. I do think I will need to give it a few tries and really pay attention. I never really think about any special techniques as what I have been doing has seems to work fine on a variety of razors and blades. Clearly with this setup, I do.

5 784
 05-05-2021, 08:07 PM
User Info
(05-05-2021, 03:51 PM)chazt Wrote: Mike, thanks for your initial impressions. I understand how a razor can be just “too much” for a person’s skin and beard. Generally speaking I walk on the mild side. Less drama. OTOH, maybe give this one a fair trial and see how it goes. You might like it after all... Enjoy your shaves  Smile

I do know you like it mild! I don't mind mild, the 0.95 just feels odd to me so far. Great shaver, though. I am going to carefully spend more time with the Slim. One try really isn't fair to come to a conclusion. So far my jam is the 0.38 Bronze. It feels more aggressive then the 0.95 does to me, but I can handle it fine. It seems to have just the right amount of blade feel for me where the 0.95 seems to have none, and the Slim seems extreme. We shall see.

5 784
 05-06-2021, 12:52 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Maybe it just felt "too" comfortable after the first couple of strokes, so you didn't pay enough attention the rest of the shave.  I'm saying that because I've done that before myself.  I typically use a steeper angle than usual, to get some protection from the safety bar, when a razor has more exposure.  Maybe try 2 WTG passes and skip the ATG until you get used to it.

3 742
 05-06-2021, 01:37 PM
User Info
(05-06-2021, 12:52 PM)DayMan Wrote: Maybe it just felt "too" comfortable after the first couple of strokes, so you didn't pay enough attention the rest of the shave.  I'm saying that because I've done that before myself.  I typically use a steeper angle than usual, to get some protection from the safety bar, when a razor has more exposure.  Maybe try 2 WTG passes and skip the ATG until you get used to it.

You may be right. First off I felt like I had no issue using it. They do recommend a light feel and different angle. I'm guessing the angle could have been part of the problem. I have time Sunday, so I am going to try again and go slow and really pay attention. I'm thinking there may very well be a learning curve on this one. I'm used to using a light touch, my first razor was a Merkur 38C which has some weight to it. I had seen their recommendation of a different angle, but forgot and really didn't even think of it when using it. We'll see how it goes.

5 784
 05-07-2021, 07:22 PM
User Info
Can anyone compare the aggression of the timeless slim to the ATT classic H1 head ?

Sent from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

1 87
 05-08-2021, 10:50 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(05-07-2021, 07:22 PM)luv2shave Wrote: Can anyone compare the aggression of the timeless  slim to the ATT classic H1 head ?

It's not even in the same league as the H1 head. Several reviewers were disappointed with how mild the Slim was when it came out. I personally find it mild/mid and a step below in aggressiveness when compared to the .95. I do find it a more aggressive than the H&S N075. The closest thing I can say that would be similar in my den is the GC .84, and even then I don't find it that aggressive. I can nick myself with the .84 when not careful, but with the Slim I would be hard pressed to nick myself, let alone have any weepers after a 3.5 pass shave. YMMV I guess.

74 822
 05-08-2021, 02:27 PM
User Info
(05-08-2021, 10:50 AM)ddk13 Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 07:22 PM)luv2shave Wrote: Can anyone compare the aggression of the timeless  slim to the ATT classic H1 head ?

It's not even in the same league as the H1 head. Several reviewers were disappointed with how mild the Slim was when it came out. I personally find it mild/mid and a step below in aggressiveness when compared to the .95. I do find it a more aggressive than the H&S N075. The closest thing I can say that would be similar in my den is the GC .84, and even then I don't find it that aggressive. I can nick myself with the .84 when not careful, but with the Slim I would be hard pressed to nick myself, let alone have any weepers after a 3.5 pass shave. YMMV I guess.
YMMV really is the norm. My experience with the Slim and 0.95 are completely different. With the 0.95 I wasn't even sure I was shaving anything, it literally felt like I was practicing without a blade something. With the Slim, my face looked like a crime scene afterwards. I really thought the 0.95 would be aggressive and I didn't find it to be at all.

5 784
 05-08-2021, 10:32 PM
User Info
Thank you gents.

Two diverse feedbacks - wow !

I love my timeless razors. I guess I'll post a WTB to get a slim plate or head. YMMV must be measured!

1 87
 05-10-2021, 08:36 PM
User Info
Ok, second shot under my belt. I perhaps should have waited. Complete 180 from my first. I did try to slightly change the angle and was extra careful. Not a cut, weeper, scratch, nick, slash etc. Nary a sight of blood anywhere. I did a few more touch ups than usual but I was paying more attention to angle and touch. It would have either been user error, or it could have been the angle and/or touch. Not sure. At this point I should know better than to judge any product with only 1 use, but it was so extreme first time out. My face looked like a crime scene. Very unusual. I will definitely spend some more time with his and I would like to do a side by side with the 0.95 which I have use several times and have found it to be consistently mild.

5 784
 05-11-2021, 09:03 AM
User Info
Very encouraging !

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

1 87
 05-12-2021, 04:06 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(05-10-2021, 08:36 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: Ok, second shot under my belt. I perhaps should have waited. Complete 180 from my first. I did try to slightly change the angle and was extra careful. Not a cut, weeper, scratch, nick, slash etc. Nary a sight of blood anywhere. I did a few more touch ups than usual but I was paying more attention to angle and touch. It would have either been user error, or it could have been the angle and/or touch. Not sure. At this point I should know better than to judge any product with only 1 use, but it was so extreme first time out. My face looked like a crime scene. Very unusual. I will definitely spend some more time with his and I would like to do a side by side with the 0.95 which I have use several times and have found it to be consistently mild.

I usually use a new product for at least a week before evaluating the item. I can understand your shock after the first shave but some razors require an experimental phase to dial in the angle. I am wondering if your need for an aggressive shave has led you to the straight razor rabbit hole?

0 554
 05-12-2021, 02:04 PM
User Info
(05-12-2021, 04:06 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 08:36 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: Ok, second shot under my belt. I perhaps should have waited. Complete 180 from my first. I did try to slightly change the angle and was extra careful. Not a cut, weeper, scratch, nick, slash etc. Nary a sight of blood anywhere. I did a few more touch ups than usual but I was paying more attention to angle and touch. It would have either been user error, or it could have been the angle and/or touch. Not sure. At this point I should know better than to judge any product with only 1 use, but it was so extreme first time out. My face looked like a crime scene. Very unusual. I will definitely spend some more time with his and I would like to do a side by side with the 0.95 which I have use several times and have found it to be consistently mild.

I usually use a new product for at least a week before evaluating the item. I can understand your shock after the first shave but some razors require an experimental phase to dial in the angle. I am wondering if your need for an aggressive shave has led you to the straight razor rabbit hole?
It really was the initial shock, no doubt. I had an interest in starlight razors and that is what got me to DE razors. Straight razors seemed like there was a lot involved. I did try a shavette and that didn't go too well either. I shave with just my dominant hand due to arthritis fusing my opposite wrist, so my crossover technique is odd. I manage fine with the DE, but a straight would really be a steep learning curve for me. I would either have to really figure out my crossover or get down to really trying to use left hand.

5 784