03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
User Info
I still trot out my Tweezerman brush, finding it's pure badger bristles to be great for a scritchy face lather. Although not luxurious or glamorous by any stretch, it's still a good Yeoman brush.

1. What was your first brush?
  2. Did you like it?
  3. Do you still like it?

3 452
 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
My first brush was a gift from my father. It's an Ever Ready 300PBT, probably around an 18mm knot. He had lightly used it in the past, then kept it stored away until I picked up wet shaving and he gifted it to me

While the treasure of having something that was my fathers is something wonderful, I admit I did not enjoy the brush all that much. It was thin and floppy and felt like it just swept up whatever lather it had already put down.

So, with his permission, I reknotted it in a slightly larger 20mm silvertip knot and not it is an absolute pleasure to use!

35 1,732
 03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Omega silvertip.It stayed with me for almost 10 years and Im still having the handle.Super soft tips and perfect for creams.It has a 19mm knot and 48mm loft,so it was perfect too for facelathering.I should get one like it one of these days.

86 7,123
 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
Yup, still have it, it wasn't that long ago. A VDH boar, you know the one, it comes in an inexpensive kit. It was a decent starter brush, heck, what did I know? It did work though and it got me going on this journey.

Still have it, don't use it. It sheds terribly, and was too large, so it got replaced fairly soon after I realized I would be blade shaving for life. It's in storage waiting for the right noob to need it, or for reknotting. But I think the noob will show up first. It doesn't eat anything, so I'm not in a hurry to decide it's fate.

32 6,309
 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mine is a no-name silver-tip badger that I purchased at the late lamented flagship store of Marshall-Field in Chicago's Loop. It was September 2005 and a friend and I were vacationing in Chicago. We went into M-F and I saw the men's shaving area with all of the brushes on display. I had been curious about wet shaving so purchased the brush on a whim. The rest, as they say, is history. I couldn't believe how wonderful it felt on my face after whipping up a lather (as compared to using my fingers and canned goo).

I still have that brush and though it's not in my regular rotation, it is near enough at hand that I occasionally still pull it out for the morning shave. Smile

2 11,211
 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info

1. Edwin Jagger Best Badger, Ivory Handle (Height: 98mm / Loft: 53mm / Base: 45mm / Knot: 21mm) bought about 6 years ago.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, about once every two or three weeks. When the time comes I plan to give it to my son.

23 1,872
 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
My first... brush was a noname prickly Pure badger 23/53 with a faux horn handle. I liked the handle so much I re-knotted it with TGN Silvertip knot. I try to keep it in rotation.

2 180
 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
My first brush was a large Edwin Jagger, made for Crabtree and Evelyn. I didn't like it at all, it was too floppy and didn't have enough backbone.

Actually, that's not true. My first brush was a gift from my mother, it was part of a matching set brush and mug. I was around 17 or 18. I still have it, along with the shaving mug. I have thought about getting it re-knotted and putting it back in rotation. I don't know anything about the brush and I wasn't much of a wet shaver in those days. My first brush when I made the jump to wet shaving was the Edwin Jagger.

7 1,018
 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My first new brush was an Ever Ready that my Dad gave me when I was 15-years old. That brush is long gone, setting in the bottom of the landfill in Dallas. If I had known then what I know now, I would still have it.

173 23,546
 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
My first brush is the VDH boar from the kit. The brush was the worst thing in the kit. The bowl houses my Provence Sante Green Tea soap perfectly & the VDH soap was much better than the Conk I was using. The brush, however, was horrible. I still have it but never use it. It sits on a shelf visible to remind me just how much better I have it now.

My first brush that I got & enjoy is my Frank Shaving Finest (24K / 52L). My mom purchased it for me when she saw my interest in shaving with safety razors as she remembered seeing her dad shave like that. I now have my Grandfather's Schick I1 Injector & his Gillette Tech.

31 7,914
 03-16-2012, 11:10 PM
User Info
my first brush was the burma-shave that you could buy at walmart. at the time, I didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing, so I never noticed much of a difference between using a brush and just applying cream to my face from a can. I eventually threw the brush out.

[Image: personna-burma-shave.jpg]

40 5,830
 03-17-2012, 03:15 AM
User Info
(03-16-2012, 12:22 PM)Tonality Wrote: My first brush was a gift from my father. It's an Ever Ready 300PBT, probably around an 18mm knot. He had lightly used it in the past, then kept it stored away until I picked up wet shaving and he gifted it to me

While the treasure of having something that was my fathers is something wonderful, I admit I did not enjoy the brush all that much. It was thin and floppy and felt like it just swept up whatever lather it had already put down.

So, with his permission, I reknotted it in a slightly larger 20mm silvertip knot and not it is an absolute pleasure to use!

There's something special about a family heirloom that you're able to move forward into your own life. Although my father used an electric razor (not an option for my beard), I was gifted an heirloom gold Gillette Tech and 56 SuperSpeed from my wife's family a few years ago, which I treasure.

(03-16-2012, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: ...My first brush that I got & enjoy is my Frank Shaving Finest (24K / 52L). My mom purchased it for me when she saw my interest in shaving with safety razors as she remembered seeing her dad shave like that. I now have my Grandfather's Schick I1 Injector & his Gillette Tech.

Glad you added the first brush that you enjoyed. I also use a Frank Shaving Finest, it's a fine brush that I enjoy. Equally great at face or bowl lathering with a good combination of backbone and softness.

3 452
 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
Burma Shave that I still have. It is no longer in use, but still there!

1 2,827
 03-18-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
My first brush was a Simpson Commodore X2 that I bought from Bullgoose a few years ago. It is a modest looking brush in my stable of brushes, but it remains a trustworthy versital brush that does a very good job with either soaps, or creams. I would recommend this brush to anyone as a good all round brush that is NOT a compromise.

6 230
 03-18-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
My first brush was a Semogue 730 silvertip. Let it go once i got their boars!
Nice overall brush, but their boars!!

75 20,883
 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
My first brush was a Rooney 3/1 Pure that came with a wetshaving starter set that I picked up when I first began wetshaving.

I did like it when I got it. Especially the ergonomics of the handle. It wasn't that scratchy and made good lather.

I did pick up a Rooney 3/1 Super a few months later that I loved (and still is my #1 brush). It is much more dense, holds more water and heat, and is much softer. I do like my original pure but don't use it as often. Mostly to change things up or if I use a particularly hard soap.

0 353
 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
1st ...Some EverReady that was cast off from my Dad. First brush I loved...a Kent that I received from my uncle in the late 70's. He had received it as a gift years before from a vendor, but no longer used a brush and passed it on to me. I can say that I wore that brush out.

2 697
 03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
User Info
(03-16-2012, 11:10 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: my first brush was the burma-shave that you could buy at walmart. at the time, I didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing, so I never noticed much of a difference between using a brush and just applying cream to my face from a can. I eventually threw the brush out.

[Image: personna-burma-shave.jpg]

Same, except I still have mine.

4 309
 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
1.What was your first brush?
-Omega 48
2.Did you like it?
-I almost instantly regretted not going for badger as I found lather making quite difficult. However, now I look back at it, my technique was terrible.
3.Do you still like it?
-I like it, it's big and can throw lather everywhere but I now find boar better for my tastes.

0 115
 03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
  • kasey
  • Utah
User Info
Tweezerman. It is actually still a great brush. It makes better lather than my silvertips, honestly. Now if I can just find a lather machine like a pure badger, but a little softer, that might be my holy grail. I'm thinking a "best" grade of hair.

0 33