Poll: Do You Prefer Triple Milled or Artisan Soaps?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 05-08-2021, 02:56 PM
User Info
At one point in the past, triple milled soaps, particularly those from the U.K., dominated the market.  This was followed by the decline of the U.K. soaps and the rise of artisan soaps.  However, triple milled soaps have made a comeback.  Floris, Arran, D.H. Harris, and Captain Fawcett's have brought back the glory days of the U.K. soaps.  The new formulation of Czech & Speake may join this list.  Plus, we have the excellent triple milled soaps by Saponificio Varesino.

I find myself increasingly using triple milled soaps.  The reasons for that are best addressed in a separate thread.  I expect that I'll always have some artisan soaps in my rotation.  Right now, for example, I have three Jabonman scents.  However, I'll be focusing more on triple milled soaps in the foreseeable future.

If you had to express a preference between triple milled or artisan soaps, what would it be?  In this poll I purposely left out an option that says you like them both equally.  You will have to make a choice.  If you wish to explain the reasons for your choice, please do so in your post.

60 11,279
 05-08-2021, 03:26 PM
User Info
Triple-milled soaps completely dominate my shave den.

100 7,166
 05-08-2021, 06:11 PM
User Info
(05-08-2021, 02:56 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: ... Floris, Arran, D.H. Harris, and Captain Fawcett's have brought back the glory days of the U.K. soaps.... Plus, we have the excellent triple milled soaps by Saponificio Varesino.

Agreed.  They're all real and they're all spectacular!

0 81
 05-08-2021, 08:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I give the nod to triple milled. The first such soaps that made me say, ”Ooooohhh...” were the Valobra unscented pucks - that  lead me to seek out the AoS version. All told, I’m set with seven of those babies en stash. I’ve been fortunate to also acquire a puck each of AoS lemon and sandalwood. Honestly, the sandalwood was scented too strongly for my taste, so I grated it and a puck of Valobra unscented, resulting in two fabulous jars of less intensely scented sandalwood soap. The lemon is fabulous all by itself. Swiss Pitralon is a great complementary splash, btw.

D.R. Harris Arlington and Marlborough are two other scented soaps I actually enjoy a lot. The other hard soap I’m sweet on is the now defunct Fine’s Snake Bite. Big love for this one! I tried the Santal Absolut, but didn’t like it as much as my 50/50 AoS/Valobra mashup, so I PIFfed it to a pal.

I may try some other of the other triple milled soaps Ricardo mentioned in his OP. Being a minor scentaphobe I often struggle with some of the scent descriptions in the makers’/retailers’ copy. The scent descriptions often sound so busy. I’m not sophisticated enough to understand what I’m reading.

19 5,550
 05-08-2021, 08:38 PM
User Info
(05-08-2021, 02:56 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: At one point in the past, triple milled soaps, particularly those from the U.K., dominated the market.  This was followed by the decline of the U.K. soaps and the rise of artisan soaps.  However, triple milled soaps have made a comeback.  Floris, Arran, D.H. Harris, and Captain Fawcett's have brought back the glory days of the U.K. soaps.  The new formulation of Czech & Speake may join this list.  Plus, we have the excellent triple milled soaps by Saponificio Varesino.

I find myself increasingly using triple milled soaps.  The reasons for that are best addressed in a separate thread.  I expect that I'll always have some artisan soaps in my rotation.  Right now, for example, I have three Jabonman scents.  However, I'll be focusing more on triple milled soaps in the foreseeable future.

If you had to express a preference between triple milled or artisan soaps, what would it be?  In this poll I purposely left out an option that says you like them both equally.  You will have to make a choice.  If you wish to explain the reasons for your choice, please do so in your post.

Bath House is a way underrated milled soap! Great lather and two of the most pleasing scents I have in my den!!
Unfortunately I never see it mentioned Sad

More than half my rotation is made up of milled soaps!
I'm always on the lookout for more because once my artisan soaps are finished, I won't add more.

0 118
 05-09-2021, 03:57 AM
User Info
(05-08-2021, 08:38 PM)nav Wrote: Bath House is a way underrated milled soap! Great lather and two of the most pleasing scents I have in my den!!
Unfortunately I never see it mentioned Sad

More than half my rotation is made up of milled soaps!
I'm always on the lookout for more because once my artisan soaps are finished, I won't add more.

Thank you for mentioning Bath House (U.K.) triple milled soaps.  These should not be confused with Bathhouse (USA) shaving soaps, which are not triple milled.

60 11,279
 05-09-2021, 06:13 AM
User Info
Artisan soaps, for me. 
Simpler (more natural) ingredients, unscented options, and, for the ones I use, less expensive.  Shy

93 21,373
 05-09-2021, 06:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I reduced my den to almost exclusively triple milled soaps. It was only until recently that I added an artisan. I love GFT Potassium Palmate pucks. DR Harris and Valobra are also excellent performers.

112 2,261
 05-09-2021, 07:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I've been on a real triple milled soap kick lately. The Arran and Floris soaps are excellent and, I really enjoy my vintage yardley, Penhaligon's, AOS and C&S. The cost per shave on these soaps is actually less than it is for Artisan soaps.

That said, I still have a few favorite artisans that will remain in rotation including Jabonman, Luna and Gentlemans Nod.

54 22,085
 05-09-2021, 07:24 AM
User Info
I like them and I have both but the quality artisans are superior and more natural.

11 2,261
 05-09-2021, 09:20 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
Triple Milled.

0 394
 05-09-2021, 09:56 AM
User Info
I have 4 flavors of MdC, 1 Arran and 3 SV that I enjoy.
I like my shaving soaps with a lot of scent.
Most 3X soaps are either too “cologne scented” or totally lacking in scent for me.
They can also be more drying and/or poor post shave.
All the other 3X soaps that I’ve had were either given away or sold.
I did not appreciate the C&S or DR Harris soaps even a little.

Most new soaps for me have been artisan made.
I think most artisan soaps offer more slickness and they’re considerably easier on the face.
YMMV <—   ;-)

9 276
 05-10-2021, 02:01 AM
User Info
(05-09-2021, 07:03 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I've been on a real triple milled soap kick lately. The Arran and Floris soaps are excellent and, I really enjoy my vintage yardley, Penhaligon's, AOS and C&S. The cost per shave on these soaps is actually less than it is for Artisan soaps.

That said, I still have a few favorite artisans that will remain in rotation including Jabonman, Luna and Gentlemans Nod.

If you try the two bath house soaps milled soaps from the UK, I'm confident you'll stock them in your store!

0 118
 05-10-2021, 04:41 PM
User Info
I enjoy both, but own more artisan soaps because I get better protection.

36 2,251
 05-10-2021, 04:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-10-2021, 02:01 AM)nav Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 07:03 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I've been on a real triple milled soap kick lately. The Arran and Floris soaps are excellent and, I really enjoy my vintage yardley, Penhaligon's, AOS and C&S. The cost per shave on these soaps is actually less than it is for Artisan soaps.

If you try the two bath house soaps milled soaps from the UK, I'm confident you'll stock them in your store!
Thanks for the tip! I'll give them a try.

54 22,085
 05-10-2021, 05:06 PM
User Info
(05-10-2021, 02:01 AM)nav Wrote:

The U.K. Bath House soaps have Sodium Palmate as a first ingredient.  Many guys report that triple milled soaps with Sodium Palmate as the first ingredient don't lather well.  Interestingly, you report getting good lather from this soap.

60 11,279
 05-11-2021, 05:26 AM
User Info
Triple milled all the way.

Tabac, Mitchell's wool fat, Williams, PdP, MDC, RR WTP, older fine stock,

I do love Croaps and perhaps have more Croaps, but a triple milled is my sweet spot!

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

1 87
 05-11-2021, 07:35 AM
User Info
My vote is for artisan soaps. I have very sensitive skin and find that the quality artisan soaps work best. Although, I did recently buy my first puck of Mitchell's wool fat to try.

0 186
 05-11-2021, 08:45 AM
User Info
I'll take something artisanal over factory produced any day.

4 414
 05-12-2021, 06:06 AM
User Info
I have to say that just because something is made in a factory, doesn't mean it's bad. Think vintage Williams, tallow AoS (Valobra), tallow Crabtree & Evelyn, MWF, Yardley, etc. and my soap today, another triple-milled, factory-produced product: Klar Kabinett.
[Image: urPuJnQ.jpg]

100 7,166