05-10-2021, 12:58 PM
User Info
This is completely random, how I came to be the owner of CH3 brushes that is.  My first Simpsons brush was a PJ2 Super - I liked it but it was missing the scrubbiness I was after so I pulled the trigger on a Rover Manchurian, it was all that and a bag of chips, I wanted it to be perfect but I also wanted more in the handle and I didn't know if I wanted more in the knot - I just didn't know.  I researched and read reviews and read posted opinions and decided on the CH2... a CH2 in Manchurian... and while I was looking at what was available I decided I wanted at least three of them, so there's time for the knots to completely dry between uses... I'm a shave every single day kind of guy, sometimes twice a day.
And soooooo, I'm looking at the brushes and I couldn't find three CH2 with Manchurian knots that I wanted... I settled on snapping up what was left of the CH3 brushes... one blue, one gree, and of the remaining yellows.  I only unwrapped these a few minutes ago - and WOWY WOW WOW WOW!  The knot is exactly what I wanted it to be, the handle, I wish I had the words to describe how comfortable it is to hold, it's perfect! I have a fourth one on order already - should be arriving in a few days - I came up with this little equation to help qualify any questions my wife might have about why I need so many brushes... (days to dry) + 1 = minimum number for a nice rotation of dry brushes.  Is that crazy?  I'm counting on it working for me, but I'm already digging these brushes so hard, I may have to get one for each day of the week.

[Image: AQj1Ahn.jpg]

0 24
 05-10-2021, 01:05 PM
  • NJDJ
  • California
User Info
Very nice!  I have a CH2 Manchurian that I really like but I have been wondering if I would like a bigger handle even more.

37 1,190
 05-10-2021, 01:35 PM
User Info
Congratulations on your great acquisitions, Havery.  CH3 Manchurians are superb brushes.

60 11,279
 05-10-2021, 01:39 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
You do things top shelf. Very nice indeed.

0 711
 05-10-2021, 01:42 PM
User Info
Very nice. IMO, Manchurian hair from Simpson is the only one worth getting these days.
[Image: hODEaG6.jpg]

[Image: hyvcJru.jpg]

100 7,167
 05-10-2021, 01:45 PM
User Info
SBAD enabled, thanks a ton.

69 2,188
 05-10-2021, 01:48 PM
User Info
(05-10-2021, 01:05 PM)NJDJ Wrote: Very nice!  I have a CH2 Manchurian that I really like but I have been wondering if I would like a bigger handle even more.

I was so nervous these brushes would arrive and end up being these enormous impractical things that were hard to hold.  I aim to use one of them later tonight for a three pass shave, totally expecting all of them to perform how the Chubby is always talked about as performance goes - I'm a tall-ish guy (6'3"), my hands are average size maybe even a little below average - my only concern was the handle and holding them, and just holding them I am very pleased with how comfortable they are.  Can't wait to get them soaped up.

0 24
 05-10-2021, 02:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-10-2021, 01:45 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: SBAD enabled, thanks a ton.

+ 33 1/3 Babeando

19 5,550
 05-10-2021, 03:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-10-2021, 01:48 PM)Havery Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 01:05 PM)NJDJ Wrote: Very nice!  I have a CH2 Manchurian that I really like but I have been wondering if I would like a bigger handle even more.

I was so nervous these brushes would arrive and end up being these enormous impractical things that were hard to hold.  I aim to use one of them later tonight for a three pass shave, totally expecting all of them to perform how the Chubby is always talked about as performance goes - I'm a tall-ish guy (6'3"), my hands are average size maybe even a little below average - my only concern was the handle and holding them, and just holding them I am very pleased with how comfortable they are.  Can't wait to get them soaped up.

Congratulations on your sweet new acquisitions!

You’re in for an ergonomically pleasurable shave. The CH3 is surprisingly comfortable. It feels “right.” That and the 58 are my two favorite Simpson handles. Granted, there are more I haven’t tried than have, but damn! for such a massive knot the handle just makes sense. The difference in ergonomic perception CH2/CH3 is more subtle to my brain than the 58/59. Apologies, Havery, for the hijack.

Looking forward to your impressions!

19 5,550
 05-10-2021, 04:54 PM
  • Wayjr
  • Dallas, GA
User Info
Congratulations! Those are nice acquisitions.

0 96
 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM
User Info
Already using the second brush... last night, I whipped up some TOBS grapefruit - I noticed some excess water in the brush while I was lathering up and today I went in for the Pereira water blossom soap - no surprises that it's taking twice the amount to load as it does with my Rover manchurian, and there was still some excess water even after I thought I'd emptied enough for loading - I'm going to have fun figuring out all the soaps and creams again - and dialing everything in to get the water right.  I love these brushes!  It handled brilliantly when lathering, no problems at all working the brush and never once even felt like I was having problems holding it - it's surprisingly perfect as ergonomics go for how I was gripping it for loading, whipping, and lathering. I gotta dial my routine in for how these monsters hold water - yikes, they hold an INSANE amount of water - but that'll be easy enough to figure out after a few uses.

[Image: LmGhrv4.jpg]

0 24
 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
In this day of admittedly great US artisans, the classic Brit brushes such as Simpson aren't getting the respect deserved.  Also, differ re Simpson hair, while Manchurian is outstanding (if acquiring a good batch), SilverTip is equally outstanding and more consistent these days to my experience.

10 806
 05-11-2021, 10:05 AM
User Info
Lovely brushes  Heart

3 7,672
 05-11-2021, 10:20 AM
  • Wayjr
  • Dallas, GA
User Info
Harvey- If the CH3 manchurian is like the CH 2 manchurian, it holds a TON of water. My CH 2 manchurian only needs to soak about 60-90 seconds.

0 96
 05-11-2021, 10:33 AM
User Info
(05-11-2021, 10:20 AM)Wayjr Wrote: Harvey- If the CH3 manchurian is like the CH 2 manchurian, it holds a TON of water. My CH 2 manchurian only needs to soak about 60-90 seconds.

I'll definitely time how long it sits tomorrow - start with 60 seconds and go from there... I'm so used to just letting the brush "sit" for a while... lol, that's not going to work anymore.

0 24
 05-11-2021, 12:05 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
With a brush like this you need to load soap like you hate it.  The brush holds a ton of lather.

Fantastic looking brushes, I hope you enjoy them!

13 2,501
 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM
User Info
^^^ exactly. Load ‘em heavy, add water slowly. Great brushes.

36 2,251
 05-13-2021, 03:33 AM
User Info
I’m curious, why does a brush have to be completely dry before you use it again? That’s not something I ever worry about.

0 72
 05-13-2021, 04:18 AM
User Info
(05-13-2021, 03:33 AM)FenderMan Wrote: I’m curious, why does a brush have to be completely dry before you use it again?  That’s not something I ever worry about.

For me, I want to start from dry; I put the brush being dry before a shave in the same category as wanting a fresh towel after a shower.  There's also the the olfactory experience, a properly rinsed and dried brush is palate cleanser in a way.  That and it just tickles me to no end having a little row of these brushes on my counter - I gotta lot of years of speed shaving with a disposable razor in the shower to make up for.

0 24
 05-13-2021, 05:55 AM
User Info
Understood, but the first thing you’re gonna to do with that dry brush is wet it.

0 72