05-11-2021, 08:44 PM
User Info
Hello folks,

I have very sensitive skin and thought it would be a good idea to share and talk about our experiences with soaps and creams that work or don't work with our sensitive skin. Here are my thoughts. Looking forward to reading other posts. 

Starting with ones that don't work
  • Proraso soap or cream
  • Most mass market supermarket stuff
  • Triumph and Disaster shave cream (Was all disaster no triumph)
Not Bad but wouldn't buy again
  • Barrister and Mann Waves, Seville
  • Hawkins and Brimble shave cream
  • Castle Forbes shaving cream
  • Captains Choice shaving cream
  • GFT shaving cream
  • Dr Jon's shaving soap
  • Pre de provence 63 shaving soap
  • TOBS shaving cream
  • Rockwell shaving cream
Skin had a bad reaction
  • Body shop maca root shaving cream
  • Highland spring soap company 
  • Crown shaving company shave cream
  • Stirling soap company shave soap
Worked really well and would consider buying again (no particular order)
  • Declaration Grooming Bon Vivant shaving soap
  • Wholly Kaw shaving soap (I have only tried the donkey milk soaps)
  • Nobel Otter orbit shaving soap
  • Musgo real shaving creams

Are there any others that I must try? Or avoid?

0 186
 05-11-2021, 11:03 PM
User Info
It might be worth trying soaps which are unscented to get a better idea if the fragrance or essence oils are causing the issues.

From my own experience, I can strongly recommend the following as they have zero essence or fragrance oils added
Mike's unscented
Stirling naked and smooth
Stirling unscented with beeswax
Stirling sheep
Esbjerg Unscented

I have never used it but Wholly Kaw is highly recommended and has a version called Bare Naked.

Of these, I like Stirling the best as it is easiest to lather and performance is always consistent.

46 461
 05-12-2021, 05:58 AM
User Info
Zingari unscented
Maggards unscented

69 2,188
 05-12-2021, 06:03 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I second hillbillyreverend’s thoughts about going unscented. I can’t comment on Sterling soaps because of no experience with it. However, +1 to Mike’s. It’s excellent. Also just as excellent is Shannon’s Nil - outstanding post-shave! I’ve also used Mystic Waters unscented which is another top artisan soap. Try one of each and let us know which you prefer. Have fun and enjoy your shaves Smile

19 5,550
 05-12-2021, 09:08 AM
User Info
Mike's unscented is excellent, and a bargain at $12.50.  However, it does have lanolin, which is a problem for some guys.

60 11,279
 05-12-2021, 09:34 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Just out of curiosity what razor(s) and blade(s) are you using?

Not doubting that you are having problems, agree this is a good thread to discuss this subject, and even think there are some ingredients in our products that could by all means irritate us.  But remembering my sensitive skin experiences stating out DE shaving and all the different products I tried thinking they were what was irritating me; I finally realized it was the razor and blades I was actually using that started my issues.

You can tell me I'm off my rocker and we would still be friends.  ?

0 156
 05-12-2021, 12:47 PM
User Info
That must be so frustrating, to have tried such a variety of stuff, and had so many bad reactions. I feel for you.

Three products I would wholeheartedly recommend:

Ach Brito Mogno - almost identical to Musgo Real, just cheaper.
Cella Extra Extra Bio (in a tub)
Spieck (in a tube)

I have been wetshaving for over a decade. Similar to you, I have sensitive skin, and thus had a bear of a time finding products that worked. My current favorite is hands-down the Speick cream - it's that good.

0 178
 05-12-2021, 10:44 PM
User Info
(05-12-2021, 09:34 AM)Chappy Wrote: Just out of curiosity what razor(s) and blade(s) are you using?

Not doubting that you are having problems, agree this is a good thread to discuss this subject, and even think there are some ingredients in our products that could by all means irritate us.  But remembering my sensitive skin experiences stating out DE shaving and all the different products I tried thinking they were what was irritating me; I finally realized it was the razor and blades I was actually using that started my issues.

I fully agree with you that razor and blade are very important factors, as is technique. I have been shaving this way now for 5+ years and when I started, my choice of razor, blade and poor technique definitely factored in poor shaves. I have tried several razors, vintage and modern, and also any blades I could get my hands on. I now use only a feather asd2 with either permsharp of polsilver SI blades.

0 186
 05-13-2021, 04:44 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(05-12-2021, 10:44 PM)meshave Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 09:34 AM)Chappy Wrote: Just out of curiosity what razor(s) and blade(s) are you using?

I fully agree with you that razor and blade are very important factors, as is technique. I have been shaving this way now for 5+ years and when I started, my choice of razor, blade and poor technique definitely factored in poor shaves. I have tried several razors, vintage and modern, and also any blades I could get my hands on. I now use only a feather asd2 with either permsharp of polsilver SI blades.

Without a doubt you are an experienced wet shaver so no need to consider equipment.  Have you checked ingredients on those that bother you the most and found the same ingredient?  Someone mentioned some people are sensitive to lanolin for example.

0 156
 05-13-2021, 02:44 PM
User Info
(05-13-2021, 04:44 AM)Chappy Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 10:44 PM)meshave Wrote:

Without a doubt you are an experienced wet shaver so no need to consider equipment.  Have you checked ingredients on those that bother you the most and found the same ingredient?  Someone mentioned some people are sensitive to lanolin for example.

At your suggestion, I took a look at the ingredients of the soaps that my skin reacted to and nothing in particular stands out. I have used products with essential oils (example castle forbes), and not had a reaction. I don't think lanolin is an issue because musgo real creams that have lanolin work well for me. I am guessing that maybe certain items in a higher concentration are the issue. I will have to do some more research on ingredients like Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, .....etc

0 186
 05-14-2021, 08:09 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Certain times of year seem to bring sensitive skin out for me - not always, but occasionally. 

I saw Proraso at the top of your list of did not work - but there are different kinds of Proraso - the White and Blue creams I find good for sensitive skin with a slight preference to the White.  The white ASB is soothing as well.  Don't be stingy with it, and bowl lather with a boar for fun. 

Simpson's unscented SC is another I've had good luck with, as is La Savonniere du Moulin soap. 

The Speick cream I have not tried in some time, but remember it fondly - with or without a brush - and it's quite economical. 
Another that I had success with was MEM olive oil SC, but I believe that's either discontinued or otherwise unobtainable at this point.

18 224
 05-14-2021, 08:52 AM
User Info
(05-14-2021, 08:09 AM)norton Wrote: Certain times of year seem to bring sensitive skin out for me - not always, but occasionally. 

I saw Proraso at the top of your list of did not work - but there are different kinds of Proraso - the White and Blue creams I find good for sensitive skin with a slight preference to the White.  The white ASB is soothing as well. 

My skin reacts to quite a lot of shaving soaps and creams. Proraso White cream, tub soap, and ASB don’t bother me, but the blue cream lights my face up like a Christmas tree, and not in a good way. I haven’t tried any of the other Proraso products.

I attempted to figure out what ingredients irritate my skin but eventually gave up and now I just purchase based on the recommendations of other shavers who are highly sensitive to various products.

SV and B&M Soft Heart base soaps are my current go to soaps for non-irritating shaves. For creams I can use TOBS Jermyn Sensitive or ultra comfort Unscented, speick regular and Activ, I think Esbjerg is ok too, but I’m undecided on the scents, and the proraso white.

12 86
 05-16-2021, 05:08 AM
User Info
You might want to try mystic waters sensitive and wsp. Unscented is a must for me.

9 1,626
 05-16-2021, 07:36 AM
User Info
I can second Speick. In the stick form and with the aftershave balm.

0 50
 05-16-2021, 02:54 PM
User Info
(05-14-2021, 08:52 AM)Forged Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 08:09 AM)norton Wrote: Certain times of year seem to bring sensitive skin out for me - not always, but occasionally. 

I saw Proraso at the top of your list of did not work - but there are different kinds of Proraso - the White and Blue creams I find good for sensitive skin with a slight preference to the White.  The white ASB is soothing as well. 

My skin reacts to quite a lot of shaving soaps and creams. Proraso White cream,  tub soap, and ASB don’t bother me, but the blue cream lights my face up like a Christmas tree, and not in a good way. I haven’t tried any of the other Proraso products.

I attempted to figure out what ingredients irritate my skin but eventually gave up and now I just purchase based on the recommendations of other shavers who are highly sensitive to various products.

SV and B&M Soft Heart base soaps are my current go to soaps for non-irritating shaves. For creams I can use TOBS Jermyn Sensitive or ultra comfort Unscented, speick regular and Activ, I think Esbjerg is ok too, but I’m undecided on the scents, and the proraso white.

I should have been more specific about proraso. The blue is terrible for me too. Red - bad. Green - not bad. Have a white shaving cream, but did not try it.  I am going to give all my proraso stuff to my brother in law when we meet next. I have been hesitating on SV because of the high price upfront. I already have several things that my skin did not like and it feels so wasteful to have all this product unused.

0 186
 05-16-2021, 02:57 PM
User Info
(05-16-2021, 07:36 AM)ebonysw45 Wrote: I can second Speick. In the stick form and with the aftershave balm.

Speick is now at the top of my list of items to buy next.

0 186
 05-17-2021, 07:54 AM
User Info
Always thought Baume Be was a great choice for sensitive skin

20 743
 05-17-2021, 04:17 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
T&H Ultimate Comfort.

9 872
 05-17-2021, 06:43 PM
User Info
Are vegan / vegetal soaps better for sensitive skin? I don't have much experience with such soaps.

0 186
 05-18-2021, 08:12 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(05-17-2021, 06:43 PM)meshave Wrote: Are vegan / vegetal soaps better for sensitive skin? I don't have much experience with such soaps.

My advice would be to avoid heavily scented products.

I doubt that you would be sensitive to the type of fat, it’s usually the fragrances that are doing it. I’ve tried a hundred or more soaps/creams, and 4 gave me problems.

1. Mike’s Hungarian lavender - lit me up like a torch. No issues with any other Mike’s that I’ve tried.

2. CRSW Savon #1 (IIRC) made me tingle, also contains Hungarian lavender. Lovely scent too, but ‘no soap’ for me (pun intended).

So I definitely avoid Hungarian lavender but don’t seem to have an issue with other lavenders.

3. Mystic Waters rose/sandalwood, frankincense/rose (again IIRC). These were samples, they made me tingle. The lemon verbena that I tried at the same time was fine.

4. Brutalt Bra, a Norweigan soap IIRC, gave me a slight tingle. Very slight but I could tell that it was there.

The last ones in 3 and 4 contained woody fragrance components. I haven’t isolated the exact one, and I’m generally not allergic to these type scents, so it’s something very specific.

I’m also apparently allergic to aldehydes, the ‘metallic’ component in SV products, Cella Green, Creed Aventus, etc. My skin tolerates it fine but it makes me sneeze, not a good thing when shaving with a straight razor.

The one thing that most all of these have in common is that the are artisan products and tend to be more heavily scented than commercial products, satisfying a market segment that most commercial products do not.

9 872