05-18-2021, 08:37 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
My current after shave routine consists of the following 2 parts.

Part 1: After shaving I do a cold water rinse, alum block, and witch hazel.  After the alum and witch hazel has been on a few minutes I do another cold water rinse to remove them.

Part 2: While face is still wet I apply a pinto bean size dollop of an aftershave balm and us the wet face to help distribute the balm evenly.  Balm is either of the same aroma as the shave soap or if I don't have one that matches I use Nivea.  I try to wait some for the balm to work well but do eventually finish off with an aftershave or cologne depending what I 'm doing that day or evening.

I know it appears I use a lot of after shave product but this seems to work for me to keep neck irritation at a minimum.  When putting on the aftershave or cologne am I killing the affect of the balm?

0 156
 05-18-2021, 10:08 AM
User Info
Chappy, I am not a dermatologist nor a cosmetics chemist and I don't even play one on TV, but my opinion and experience regarding post-shave products are:

1.  I can't imagine a final application of aftershave or a scent product would do anything to block the absorption of a previously applied balm-type product.  However I usually wait a few minutes after using a balm to allow it to be fully absorbed before applying a scent product.

2.  For a long time I applied an alum block to my freshly rinsed face at the end of every shave - based on an old school Italian barber's admonition to do so - and believe daily use of it was helpful before I became a more skilled pogonomist.  But don't apply the alum block as often these days.  And I am a (Thayers) witch hazel fan.   But I wouldn't apply witch hazel over a coating of alum since I imagine the alum would block absorption of the hazel.  After letting the alum sit on my face while I clean my brush I then rinse the alum off completely before using any other post-shave product.

3. I too used a complex suite of post shave products routinely but now rarely do so.  For whatever reason - and I like to think my years of post shaving "self care" have rejuvenated my ancient, much abused facial epidermis - my current shaves tend to be what I call "three pointers": the only software in such a shave being a prep-scrub with a MRGLO or comparable facial soap, a properly developed shaving lather with lots of moisture and lubrication in it and a single post-shave lotion typically with alcohol plus one or more efficacious ingredients.  Period.

Just these three items plus gentle, careful use of a truly excellent razor and blade consistently yield highly satisfactory BBS results.  I took me about six years of practice to get to this level: elevation of goals, simplification of means.

YMMV and good luck.

0 81
 05-18-2021, 11:09 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Mazama,

Very good points and have me thinking somewhat along the same lines.  K.I.S.S., keep it simple stupid.   Biggrin

0 156
 05-19-2021, 03:26 PM
User Info
I’d just swap the order of aftershave and balm.

36 2,251
 05-20-2021, 02:28 AM
User Info
1) Cold Water rinse
2) Thayer's Witch Hazel
3) Unscented After Shave Balm
4) Fragrance (I have eliminated 99% of the Aftershaves from my den in favor of perfumes, if I do end up choosing an after shave, I eliminate the balm)

100 7,166
 05-20-2021, 05:25 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Thank you everyone!  I realize now I have been doing some duplication so am experimenting with different routines to see what works for me and make it simpler.

0 156
 05-20-2021, 07:40 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Rinse with warm or cold water, dry and then apply a liberal amount of an alcohol-based aftershave splash; if it has a touch of menthol so much the better

9 1,204
 05-20-2021, 10:49 AM
User Info
Years ago I stopped using Alum, as I didn't see any benefit to it.

I rinse with cold water.  If I'm going to apply a cologne, I use Witch Hazel.  If I'm not going to apply a cologne, I use an alcohol based aftershave splash. 

I have oily skin and don't need to apply any balms.

60 11,279