05-22-2021, 10:47 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I'm not a collector but thought it would be cool to have certain vintage Gillette razors to shave with on occasion.  I wanted one older than I am (1940s Gillette Tech Gold Tone), one the same year I was born (1955 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip), and one adjustable (1972 Gillette Slim Adjustable because Fatboys are much more expensive or very neglected).  Because I like very mild razors with sharp blades my daily razor is a Rockwell 6c Gunmetal using Plate #3.  Never a nick or irritation with it (knock on wood).

Received the Gillette adjustable from eBay at about 1/3 the cost what it would have cost from a reputable vintage reseller.  Used the razor the first time and oh my goodness was it aggressive even on setting 1.  Did some research and found the blade gap for setting 1 should have been 0.015".  Measured mine and it was between 0.20" to 0.25" so it was probably dropped multiple times.

Today I got the time to work on the razor.  Because I like very mild razors I put setting 1 at 0.10" since I will only use it myself.  WOW what a difference it made!  My beast razor is now a pussycat razor.  I started on setting 4, adjusted it up and then down, and ended up on setting 3.  Finished up with a BBS shave and wonderful "new" razor I can enjoy.  Happy Days!!

0 156
 05-22-2021, 07:01 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
That’s so cool that you know how to fine tune the adjustments. I’m with you re: mild razors. Occasionally I do like a little blade feel, but not every shave.

19 5,550
 05-23-2021, 03:13 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I mostly learned how to do it from an old post on this forum.  They referenced a "butter knife" but I used a small flat screwdriver.  Couldn't use the razor "as is" so thought no big loss if I screw it up.

0 156