05-29-2021, 06:11 AM
User Info
Over the years, I've tried numerous boar brush models from various manufacturers.  I've recently been given an opportunity to try a boar brush from a manufacturer in Spain I was not familiar with.  That manufacturer is Danidom.  It is located in Barcelona, Catalonia, and was founded in 1955.  In addition to making boar shaving brushes, Danidom also makes paint brushes and hair brushes.  In this regard, it reminds me of Omega, which also makes different types of brushes.

Danidom boar brushes are handmade in-house.  The particular model I'm trying is called the Endurance.  It's named after Ernest Shackleton's ship and his epic 1914 Antartic expedition.  The Endurance features an ash handle and an aluminum ferrule.  The ferrule, which holds the knot, is removable from the handle.  Here is a photo of the Endurance from the Danidom site: 

[Image: iX2k4sw.png]

The brush arrives in simple packaging.  The knot has a diameter of 22mm at the top of the handle, and a loft of 52mm.  The ash handle has a glossy finish which is very evenly applied.  The top of the handle has a hard plastic threaded ring, allowing for the ferrule to easily screw on and off the handle.   

[Image: 7qU2apK.jpg] 

[Image: rYn8iLz.jpg] 

[Image: gOLJ4VV.jpg]

I've used the brush three times, and we all know boar brushes have a long break-in period.  So far, my brush shows good backbone and no scritch whatsoever.  The tips began splitting after the first shave, and every indication so far is that this knot will get softer.  I don't know how the knot will splay after it's fully broken in, but I expect a splay pattern similar to a Semogue.  Overall, it's a nice looking brush with good ergonomics, and performance typical of the better boar brushes.

The removeable ferrule has a practical value.  I rinse boar and badger brushes thoroughly under a lot of running water.  Removing the ferrule allows me to do that without exposing the wood handle to all that water.

This is a small brush.  That is not a criticism, but rather an expression of my preference for larger brushes.  This brush would be more to my liking with with a 24 or 26mm knot.  However, this 22mm knot has very good performance will be just right for some guys.

[Image: Q4ImI2X.jpg]

I don't know what these sell for, but I expect them to be moderately priced.  At that price point, this brush represents an excellent value.

60 11,279
 05-29-2021, 06:03 PM
User Info
(05-29-2021, 06:11 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Over the years, I've tried numerous boar brush models from various manufacturers.  I've recently been given an opportunity to try a boar brush from a manufacturer in Spain I was not familiar with.  That manufacturer is Danidom.  It is located in Barcelona, Catalonia, and was founded in 1955.  In addition to making boar shaving brushes, Danidom also makes paint brushes and hair brushes.  In this regard, it reminds me of Omega, which also makes different types of brushes.

Danidom boar brushes are handmade in-house.  The particular model I'm trying is called the Endurance.  It's named after Ernest Shackleton's ship and his epic 1914 Antartic expedition.  The Endurance features an ash handle and an aluminum ferrule.  The ferrule, which holds the knot, is removable from the handle.  Here is a photo of the Endurance from the Danidom site: 

[Image: iX2k4sw.png]

The brush arrives in simple packaging.  The knot has a diameter of 22mm at the top of the handle, and a loft of 52mm.  The ash handle has a glossy finish which is very evenly applied.  The top of the handle has a hard plastic threaded ring, allowing for the ferrule to easily screw on and off the handle.   

[Image: 7qU2apK.jpg] 

[Image: rYn8iLz.jpg] 

[Image: gOLJ4VV.jpg]

I've used the brush three times, and we all know boar brushes have a long break-in period.  So far, my brush shows good backbone and no scritch whatsoever.  The tips began splitting after the first shave, and every indication so far is that this knot will get softer.  I don't know how the knot will splay after it's fully broken in, but I expect a splay pattern similar to a Semogue.  Overall, it's a nice looking brush with good ergonomics, and performance typical of the better boar brushes.

The removeable ferrule has a practical value.  I rinse boar and badger brushes thoroughly under a lot of running water.  Removing the ferrule allows me to do that without exposing the wood handle to all that water.

This is a small brush.  That is not a criticism, but rather an expression of my preference for larger brushes.  This brush would be more to my liking with with a 24 or 26mm knot.  However, this 22mm knot has very good performance will be just right for some guys.

[Image: Q4ImI2X.jpg]

I don't know what these sell for, but I expect them to be moderately priced.  At that price point, this brush represents an excellent value.

€19,50. Very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 182
 05-30-2021, 07:03 PM
User Info
(05-29-2021, 06:03 PM)Noveskeshepherd Wrote: €19,50. Very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, very reasonable.  It's a nice brush for its moderate cost.

60 11,279
 05-31-2021, 07:47 AM
User Info
Someone has pointed out that this Danidom brush looks identical to the Vielong Cachurro.  Here is the Cachurro:

[Image: YoBru6t.jpg]

Does anyone know if the Vielong Cachurro has a removeable ferrule?

60 11,279
 05-31-2021, 08:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-31-2021, 07:47 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Someone has pointed out that this Danidom brush looks identical to the Vielong Cachurro.  Here is the Cachurro:

[Image: YoBru6t.jpg]

Does anyone know if the Vielong Cachurro has a removeable ferrule?

It does not.

54 22,086
 06-10-2021, 09:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
They say in a city of eight million people there are just as many stories. Here’s mine. It’s probably been at least five years since I gave up on the personally misunderstood and imo, generally often under-appreciated boar bristle brush format. Around that same time, about 2-3 years into the hobby, I developed an exclusive preference for face-lathering over bowl lathering. Inexperienced in general, and easily drawn to the relative luxury of top quality badger brushes, I found that boar bristle no longer satisfied me. Lather suddenly disappeared between passes! When I bowl lathered, I apparently (in retrospect) made a greater volume of lather than when face lathering. I was unaware that boar knots actually feed on shave cream. This phenomenon didn’t and still doesn’t happen when face lathering with badger knots. Btw. My only experience with boar brushes was from one manufacturer. Within that maker’s line I bought at least 6 different models of different handle shape and bristle grade. Eventually I found the uncontrolled splay to be an annoyance, and suddenly (especially compared to silvertip badger hair) boar knots felt like I was lathering with a rope mop. One other brush I used at the time was the previously mentioned Vie-Long horse/boar combo. That particular brush was straight out of Scritchville. Finally and fully committed to badger, I gave away all my boar brushes and never looked back.

Fast forward to few months ago, I began to consider giving boar brushes another go and entertained myself by surfing on the pages at BullGoose. The Semogue Torga caught my eye. The knot’s specs seemed to be what I was looking for. A premium quality bristle set at a relatively low loft (which would theoretically at least, help to tame the cursed uncontrolled splay) in an ergonomic handle. I explained my rationale to Phil, and he agreed that the Torga would be a good re-entry point for my new boar adventure. A little while later, aware of my renewed interest in bristle brushes, Phil asked me to offer some impressions of (you guessed it) a little known brush line from Spain he was considering taking on. Oh by the way, it has a removable ferrule/knot assembly. Sure, why not? It sounds pretty whacky, but like it’s been said before, I’ll try most anything once. Especially a shave brush. A few days later a Danidom Endeavor boar bristle shave brush appeared, ready for me to get to know.

Here are my first impressions upon opening the Endeavor’s box (cool name - sounds Star Treky). Well, Hello! This brush has some serious old school vibey eye appeal thing going on. While more compact, it’s a dead ringer for my old Vie-Long. I’d forgotten how stiff boar bristles are when new. It will be interesting to see how the knot breaks in. The ferrule seems substantial. It looks cast/plated (I learned later it’s made from aluminum). And sonofascritch, the dag thing unscrews! It’s just plain screwy, I tellya. Anywhoandfwiw, dry and unused there seems to be something of a slight glue bump. Hmm.. perhaps that will help to prevent the wildly splayed knot to which I’d become previously unaccustomed.

I dig the wood and steel look. Initially I thought the handle was oak or olivewood. Ricardo pointed out it’s ash. Makes sense. The engraving on the handle is a nice touch. The artisan’s initials look especially well executed. I think the company name below the initials looks cheesy. Imo, the brush would look classier without that. There’s a logo also engraved in the base. It looks more appropriate there. It took me a half second to process the handmade date, “07–05-2021.” It’s from the future! (Note: this was May the 26th) You know what? They might have spent a bit more attention to final sanding and polishing. But to be fair maybe that was just a knee jerk reaction/comparison to the custom made artisan brushes I’ve grown fond of using.

It’s now in the wee hours of June 11th. I’ve used the Endeavor brush for four shaves. The Torga, three shaves. It’s on deck for my next shave, btw. Since this thread is about the Danidom brush I will focus on it’s relative strengths and weaknesses. The Danidom Endeavor is leading in the short series. Of the two, the tips are showing evidence of hooking, and are perceptibly softer. The stiff bristle backbone has mellowed and already feels more like a 2 band badger knot than a boar bristle knot. The knot on the Semogue looks “prettier” but really, it’s a knot’s feel that makes it or breaks it, am I right? So far, the Endeavor has the preferred face feel. That said, I think I prefer the balance of the Torga, as the Endeavor feels a bit top heavy.

I don’t see much use for the removable ferrule/knot assembly. Sure, there’s the argument that it will help to preserve the integrity of the wood handle. But is it really necessary? I already take care to not let my wood handled brushes become saturated with use. This ain’t no Jackson Browne record! Sorry, here’s the reference.
[Image: WD3QsyU.jpg]
That said, I did remove the assembly a few times and let the parts dry separately. I couldn’t resist.
[Image: pQId3VQ.jpg]

I know. Long winded and glib. I get that way sometimes. Forgive me. I’ve got a lot on my mind. Stream of consciousness writing de-stresses me. Btw, the Danidom Endeavor doesn’t eat my lather. That and the actually pleasant feeling knot will help to make this unscrewy brush a valued addition to my rotation. I like it.

Will take some pictures of brushes during daylight tomorrow.

Good night Shave Nook Smile

19 5,550
 06-11-2021, 11:41 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM
User Info
Charlie, the handle on mine does not have the engraving on the side.  On the bottom, mine has the same engraving as yours, minus the date.

It looks to me like you have a larger version.  What is the knot diameter on yours?

60 11,279
 06-11-2021, 04:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-11-2021, 11:54 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Charlie, the handle on mine does not have the engraving on the side.  On the bottom, mine has the same engraving as yours, minus the date.

It looks to me like you have a larger version.  What is the knot diameter on yours?

These are interesting differences you point out, Ricardo. I’ll measure the knot as best I can during the daylight tomorrow with my rudimentary, low tech ruler Biggrin

19 5,550
 06-16-2021, 10:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I did the best could with a cm ruler. It’s approximately 22-23 mm where it exits the ferrule. The loft is ~55-56 mm.

I’m pleased to report that this Danidom Endeavor knot has exceeded my expectations. It is quite comfortable feeling, and from all indications should continue to break in beautifully. It is a totally different feel compared to the Semogue knot I’m breaking in concurrently. The Semogue feels much like the SOC I had at one time, just smaller. This Danidom knot feels more like a two band badger knot. It’s the best way for me to describe the difference between these two boars.

19 5,550
 08-12-2021, 02:06 AM
User Info
Love this brushes ,I am using one for quite a wile.

0 2