03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
In the past, I bought a pack of 5 NACET blades, which I did not know they were not produced any more. Result: A bad shave due to his age. Still today I see blades which I do not know if tey are "old" oy "new".

I presume that some of you may had the same problem, so, I have decided to start creating a list to all of us, with blades that no longer are produced.

So far, I only know one:

- NACET

0 106
 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
User Info
If I understand the question, Polsilver comes to mind that has been in and out of production more than once; and now are out again.

2 546
 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
User Info
Astra Keramiks and Super Iridiums are no longer in production. I try to use one or the other on my "Monday Mourning" shaves.

0 1,655
 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Gillette Swedes. I have a package that I have not yet opened and tried. I must remedy that soon.

2 11,211
 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Personna 74, Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Bleue Extra Blades, Wilkinson Light Brigade, Schick Chromium and the list goes on and on and on. I love the Schick Plus Platinum and Schick Chromium blades but they are sometimes hard to remove from their dispenser due to age. Once you do though...they are fantastic blades.

45 16,361
 03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
User Info
Tiger Superior Stainless

(03-16-2012, 01:40 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: If I understand the question, Polsilver comes to mind that has been in and out of production more than once; and now are out again.
I thought that the Polsilvers never went out of production, no? A vendor once told me that the distribution channels changed and he could no longer get the blades, but that they were still in production. This was at a time when everyone on the forums was stating they had been discontinued.

And Nacets are out of production? I bought some Nacet Platinums only a few months ago... The traditional wetshaving world certainly is dynamic.

0 303
 03-17-2012, 01:01 AM
User Info
(03-16-2012, 09:07 PM)Tbone Wrote: And Nacets are out of production? I bought some Nacet Platinums only a few months ago... The traditional wetshaving world certainly is dynamic.

The old Nacets, made in UK, are discontinued.
The more recent ones, made in S. Petersburg, are still in production.

2 5,532
 03-17-2012, 03:15 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
(03-16-2012, 07:52 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Personna 74, Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Bleue Extra Blades, Wilkinson Light Brigade, Schick Chromium and the list goes on and on and on. I love the Schick Plus Platinum and Schick Chromium blades but they are sometimes hard to remove from their dispenser due to age. Once you do though...they are fantastic blades.

One of this (in red) was the reason that I made this thread. I saw them in a street market. I was to buy, but my doubt if they were old - an therefore, not good to shave - or new made me decided to buy BIC blades. Those I know that are still in production.

0 106
 03-17-2012, 06:48 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Schick blades may be old but they are great to shave with. Many people consider the time they were produced to be the "Golden Age" for DE blades. They are sharp and smooth and best of all, they last for many more shaves than modern DE blades. The only issue is with the blade dispenser. There is a thin layer of oil between the blades that was meant to act as lubrication and make it easier to slide a blade out of the metal container. Over the years the oil has turned into more of a glue and getting the blades out can be a bit tricky.

45 16,361
 03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
User Info
(03-16-2012, 09:07 PM)Tbone Wrote: Tiger Superior Stainless

(03-16-2012, 01:40 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: If I understand the question, Polsilver comes to mind that has been in and out of production more than once; and now are out again.
I thought that the Polsilvers never went out of production, no? A vendor once told me that the distribution channels changed and he could no longer get the blades, but that they were still in production. This was at a time when everyone on the forums was stating they had been discontinued.

And Nacets are out of production? I bought some Nacet Platinums only a few months ago... The traditional wetshaving world certainly is dynamic.

Who can say for sure. Certainly supply has been interrupted more than once. If that's the case, they've changed distribution channels once again.

2 546
 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
(03-17-2012, 01:01 AM)oversaturn Wrote: The old Nacets, made in UK, are discontinued.
The more recent ones, made in St. Petersburg, are still in production.

I believe Nacet brand now comes out of Shanghai. The Russian ones I'd used and liked vanished and have resurfaced from China. Don't know if they're the same.

0 554
 03-20-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
China?! Uh, didn't know that. Thanks for the information, Michael.

2 5,532
 03-20-2012, 05:28 AM
User Info
Emanuel, that's why we gather here, isn't it?Cool

0 554