05-30-2021, 03:12 PM
User Info
I learned this lesson today. I was shaving with my Blackland Dart and a Gillette Nacet blade. I've never had this happen before or maybe I never noticed. The shave was incredibly rough, even scratchy perhaps. I was thinking to myself I don't remember this combination being so aggressive. I should have checked the razor out instead of just finishing the shave. Quite a few nicks and a nice slice under the nose. I loaded a new blade prior to shaving, so maybe I just didn't screw it together right enough because when I did check, the gap was huge and the cape and base were loose. Learn from my mistake, check your handles!!!

5 734
 05-30-2021, 03:27 PM
User Info
This is good advice, Mike.  Also, when using a TTO, make sure the doors are  properly tightened.

60 11,238
 05-30-2021, 03:33 PM
User Info
(05-30-2021, 03:27 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This is good advice, Mike.  Also, when using a TTO, make sure the doors are  properly tightened.

That is a good addendum, no doubt. I use my TTO occasionally, but I will be more aware now. Still always learning.

5 734
 05-30-2021, 03:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-30-2021, 03:12 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
I learned this lesson today. I was shaving with my Blackland Dart and a Gillette Nacet blade. I've never had this happen before or maybe I never noticed. The shave was incredibly rough, even scratchy perhaps. I was thinking to myself I don't remember this combination being so aggressive. I should have checked the razor out instead of just finishing the shave. Quite a few nicks and a nice slice under the nose. I loaded a new blade prior to shaving, so maybe I just didn't screw it together right enough because when I did check, the gap was huge and the cape and base were loose. Learn from my mistake, check your handles!!!
This exact same thing happened to me a week or so ago. The handle unscrewed during the shave and I sliced myself up pretty good.

54 22,073
 05-30-2021, 04:22 PM
User Info
(05-30-2021, 03:46 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 03:12 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
This exact same thing happened to me a week or so ago. The handle unscrewed during the shave and I sliced myself up pretty good.

Yep. I got a few minor nicks, sliced under my nose pretty good, and I think I got a small chunk on my right cheek. At least it looks like it.

5 734
 05-31-2021, 02:45 AM
User Info
I'll need to check but I also think mine loosens a little more easily. Possibly due to the short thread post?

Anyway, I try to be careful about this from other experiences, not so much with the Dart. Great razor, though.

3 70
 05-31-2021, 04:29 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Exactly why I always keep my razor loose and before every shave tighten it up. I started this habit after doing the same thing you folks have done with loose shavers.

0 711
 05-31-2021, 06:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes. Although I didn’t get sliced, I had the experience once of the head loosening from the handle... “Yikes!” Now I check it twice before the shave and again between passes.

19 5,483
 05-31-2021, 08:50 AM
User Info
I wonder if this happens with older razors? What type of razor is this more prevalent in? TTO or 3 piece? I have never had this issue. I fully dismantle my feather ASD2 and leave my slim open after every shave. The razors are also stored between shaves dismantled / open.

0 186
 05-31-2021, 12:27 PM
User Info
Probably more likely to occur in a three piece, but tightening everything down before shaving is a good habit in all cases.

3 7,656
 05-31-2021, 02:08 PM
User Info
(05-31-2021, 12:27 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Probably more likely to occur in a three piece, but tightening everything down before shaving is a good habit in all cases.

I always thought a 3 piece was more durable. Fewer moving parts.

0 186
 05-31-2021, 02:09 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Yep, I've been there...

[Image: ZvZjeei.png]

1 715
 05-31-2021, 03:53 PM
User Info
(05-31-2021, 02:45 AM)Zhang Doe Wrote: I'll need to check but I also think mine loosens a little more easily. Possibly due to the short thread post?

Anyway, I try to be careful about this from other experiences, not so much with the Dart. Great razor, though.

Yes, I love the Dart. This is the first time I had this happen with any razor. I have shaved with the Dart many times. Definitely user error on my part.

5 734
 05-31-2021, 03:59 PM
User Info
(05-31-2021, 02:09 PM)David Wrote: Yep, I've been there...

[Image: ZvZjeei.png]
This sounds frighteningly familiar. The scraping. I couldn't figure out why. I didn't remember the razor being that aggressive at all. I used a new blade, did my usual prep, I did use a new soap but still. I noticed when I was done and picked up the razor and saw the blade exposure and noticed the base plate and cap moving. Lots of nicks, a small chunk on my cheek and a nice slice underneath my nose. My face was irritated and burning most of the day. I did the same thing, washed my face and applied more balm and aftershave.

5 734
 05-31-2021, 08:22 PM
User Info
(05-31-2021, 02:08 PM)meshave Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 12:27 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Probably more likely to occur in a three piece, but tightening everything down before shaving is a good habit in all cases.

I always thought a 3 piece was more durable. Fewer moving parts.

Short version is that the mechanical interaction between all the parts of a Twist To Open provides an advantage against things coming loose. In a three piece it's just the friction between the screw threads holding things closed.

3 7,656