06-15-2021, 08:24 AM
User Info
It's hard to find information about this razor.  The website says the handle is brass construction.  I wonder why they didn't specify what the head was made of?  And how "aggressive" is it?  Would it have killed them to list the blade gap?  Big difference between an old-school Gillette gap around .25mm and a 1.09mm gap of a Lord L6.  Does anyone know what the gap of a Parker 74R-SC happens to be?
Thx,
- BAX

0 195
 06-15-2021, 09:03 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
It's apparently a new model for 2021 - sharpologist has a quick review, but unfortunately they don't usually list details like what you're after.  Says its similar to other Parker models.

Parker does that - they use words like 'brass frame' in their marketing which is a bit confusing - how does Parker define 'Frame?'. 
It should mean everything but the blade, but I think they would simply say 'all brass construction' and leave it at that if it were true.

Being a TTO - the head may be brass, or some other 'flexible' alloy - Zamak (which is inflexible) is usually found in 2 or 3 piece models - I'm not familiar with any TTOs with zamak heads.  Someone here may know more.  There are new manufacturing techniques developed all the time, so maybe this uses one of those to create a zamak tto head. 

They seem to be marketing the 74R-SC as a daily driver for the masses - IMO their take on a Gillette Super Speed, which they have done before with the 96R which was apparently pretty popular. 

Really, for the price it would appear to be worth a try if you are interested in a non adjustable TTO.

17 209
 06-15-2021, 10:05 AM
User Info
(06-15-2021, 09:03 AM)norton Wrote: It's apparently a new model for 2021 - sharpologist has a quick review, but unfortunately they don't usually list details like what you're after.  Says its similar to other Parker models.

Parker does that - they use words like 'brass frame' in their marketing which is a bit confusing - how does Parker define 'Frame?'. 
It should mean everything but the blade, but I think they would simply say 'all brass construction' and leave it at that if it were true.

Being a TTO - the head may be brass, or some other 'flexible' alloy - Zamak (which is inflexible) is usually found in 2 or 3 piece models - I'm not familiar with any TTOs with zamak heads.  Someone here may know more.  There are new manufacturing techniques developed all the time, so maybe this uses one of those to create a zamak tto head. 

They seem to be marketing the 74R-SC as a daily driver for the masses - IMO their take on a Gillette Super Speed, which they have done before with the 96R which was apparently pretty popular. 

Really, for the price it would appear to be worth a try if you are interested in a non adjustable TTO.

I didn't know Zamac alloy stuff was not normal for a TTO head and is usually a 2/3-peice thang.  Good piece of trivia.  At least that means the Parker 74R is (probably) all brass.  Too bad they don't disclose the gap, though... or even make a comment about its aggressiveness.   I'd hate to take a chance on it and fillet my face!  Then again, if I give it a try and it *is* too aggressive, perhaps I could pair it up with a Derby or Astra blade to take some of the bite out of it (no Feather blades for me!).   Thx for the quick reply!
- BAX

0 195
 06-15-2021, 12:17 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Just to state what may not be obvious - Zamak is not necessarily 'bad'. 

Some of my best shavers have zamak heads - Merkurs, Muhles and Edwin Jaggers among them.   And I have several 'all brass' or 'all stainless' razors that shave well too. 

Makers use it to reduce costs, sure, and sometimes those savings are passed on to the consumer, or sometimes they allow the maker to use a higher-end finish
on the product while keeping the costs within a certain range.  Zamak is less expensive to process than stainless steel.  People will argue about different grades of
stainless, but there are also different grades of Zamak.

Build quality really depends on the manufacturer and how good their manufacturing and QA processes are. 

Shave forums aside, not everyone can or wants to spend triple digits on a razor - 100.00 is typically where the entry point is for stainless steel, and it escalates quickly from there.

17 209
 06-15-2021, 12:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The blade gap, in and of itself is meaningless. Many variables come into play to determine aggressiveness. Razor manufacturers do not omit blade gap as an oversight. They omit it because it is misleading. Comparing blade gap across different designs is an apples to oranges comparison.

54 22,024
 06-15-2021, 12:37 PM
User Info
HA!  I doubt I'll ever be a "high end" kinda guy.  A good alloy can be better than a poor steel, for sure.  My Gillette Heritage travel razor has an alloy head (Muhle R89), and it's great!  Parker's "Made in USA" tagline caught my eye, but forum reports on Parker quality in general are pretty spotty; folks either love 'em or hate 'em.  Still, for the relatively modest price tag ($26.60), maybe I'll follow your suggestion and give it a shot... then post a review here!  ;-)
- Bax

0 195
 06-15-2021, 12:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-15-2021, 12:37 PM)Bax Wrote: HA!  I doubt I'll ever be a "high end" kinda guy.  A good alloy can be better than a poor steel, for sure.  My Gillette Heritage travel razor has an alloy head (Muhle R89), and it's great!  Parker's "Made in USA" tagline caught my eye, but forum reports on Parker quality in general are pretty spotty; folks either love 'em or hate 'em.  Still, for the relatively modest price tag ($24.95), maybe I'll follow your suggestion and give it a shot... then post a review here!  ;-)
- Bax

Unless something has changed recently, Parker razors are not made in the USA.

54 22,024
 06-15-2021, 12:43 PM
User Info
EGAD!  You're right... the Parker site says their STRAIGHT RAZORS are made in the USA!
I wonder where their DE razors are made...
Good catch, Phil!

Answered it myself.  India. 
Huh.  Who knew?
Thx,
- Bax

0 195
 06-15-2021, 12:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-15-2021, 12:43 PM)Bax Wrote: EGAD!  You're right... the Parker site says their STRAIGHT RAZORS are made in the USA!
Good catch, Phil!
- Bax
If memory serves me correctly, they are made in India

54 22,024
 06-15-2021, 12:54 PM
User Info
Doesn't look like there are very many made in the USA. 
Vintage Gillettes, Weber, Above The Tie.
Fewer still are the number of TTO "butterflies."
Bummer.
- Bax

0 195
 06-15-2021, 01:49 PM
User Info
(06-15-2021, 12:44 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 12:43 PM)Bax Wrote: EGAD!  You're right... the Parker site says their STRAIGHT RAZORS are made in the USA!
Good catch, Phil!
- Bax
If memory serves me correctly, they are made in India

Phil, you are correct. It is India.

4 631
 06-15-2021, 06:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Life’s too short to use a dull blade
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-15-2021, 12:54 PM)Bax Wrote: Doesn't look like there are very many made in the USA. 
Vintage Gillettes, Weber, Above The Tie.
Fewer still are the number of TTO "butterflies."
Bummer.
- Bax

Bax, there may be more niche manufacturing North American made razors than you think. Many are pretty reasonably priced as well! Have fun exploring Smile

19 5,245
 06-15-2021, 06:23 PM
User Info
Once I realized Parker was made in India, I gave up on Parker.  My objective was to buy a razor that was made in USA, with the right blade gap.  It's a frustrating search.  So I just ordered a  Rockwell 6s Adjustable stainless razor.  It's not a TTO, but the "blade gap" problem has been solved once and for all!   
Happy Father's Day to me.  :-)
-  Bax

0 195
 06-15-2021, 08:06 PM
User Info
(06-15-2021, 06:23 PM)Bax Wrote: Once I realized Parker was made in India, I gave up on Parker.  My objective was to buy a razor that was made in USA, with the right blade gap.  It's a frustrating search.  So I just ordered a  Rockwell 6s Adjustable stainless razor.  It's not a TTO, but the "blade gap" problem has been solved once and for all!   
Happy Father's Day to me.  :-)
-  Bax
Parker razors are still nice, I have owned 2. I also have the Rockwell 6C version. Fantastic for the money. It looks good, shaves good, and it very reasonably priced.

4 631