06-15-2021, 11:38 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've been reading old (very old) threads in this group about the number of passes folks do when shaving.  It seems most common for folks to do 2-3 passes plus "buffing" or touch-up.  Not me. 1 pass WTG with an old Super-Speed and I'm done.  Sometimes I need to carefully touch up under my nose or under my bottom lip if I was too Super-Speedy, but not usually.  Does anyone out there (besides me) just do ONE pass with a DE razor WTG in order to get a nice smooth shave?  (My wife says I'm weird... maybe she's right.)
- Bax

0 443
 06-15-2021, 12:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-15-2021, 11:38 AM)Bax Wrote: I've been reading old (very old) threads in this group about the number of passes folks do when shaving.  It seems most common for folks to do 2-3 passes plus "buffing" or touch-up.  Not me. 1 pass WTG with an old Super-Speed and I'm done.  Sometimes I need to carefully touch up under my nose or under my bottom lip if I was too Super-Speedy, but not usually.  Does anyone out there (besides me) just do ONE pass with a DE razor WTG in order to get a nice smooth shave?  (My wife says I'm weird... maybe she's right.)
- Bax
I'll sometimes do a one pass shave with a more aggressive artist club SE razor such as the Asylum Rx. If I'm using a super mild razor such as the super speed, I'll require a bare minimum of two passes plus touch up.

54 22,368
 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM
User Info
I have been shaving 1 pass WTG only for approx. 4 years. Gives me the best irritation free shaves. I don't get a BBS shave, but any attempts at getting a BBS lead to lots of irritation, ingrown hair and issues. There seem to be some unwritten rules I came across when I started wet shaving -- 2/3 pass, shower before shave, warm water prep of the face. After lots of experimentation, I determined that I get the best shave by breaking all these rules -- 1 pass WTG with mild buffing, shower after the shave and shave with tap cold water. Do what works for you.

0 192
 06-15-2021, 01:58 PM
User Info
Did a one pass shave with a near wedge Filarmonica two days ago on 5 days growth. Stubble today is still barely noticeable.

58 600
 06-15-2021, 05:25 PM
User Info
For several months now I've been going against the grain on my first pass, starting at the bottom of my neck and going up.  I work this very thoroughly like I've watched Italian barbers do with their straights.  This pass takes about ten minutes.  Then I re-lather and go mostly with the grain as well as anywhere my fingers tell me need extra attention for a second pass that is about five minutes.

I'm using an Asylum RX with Feather AC or Rocnel Elite M,  Charcoal Goods or Rex Envoy, all with Feather, Persona Med Prep or Balzano in the DEs

The result is a BBS with zero irritation and great post-shave feel every shave.  I don't have much visible stubble for three days but I usually shave every 36-48 hours.  I've come to think of this as maintaining my shave.  I have to confess it took me years of honing the craft to get to this point.

Yesterday I got so close to BBS on the first pass that I stopped and washed a lot of lather down the drain.

0 81
 06-15-2021, 09:59 PM
User Info
A one pass shave for me is a Socially Acceptable Shave, and something I do when travelling for work.

3 7,942
 06-15-2021, 11:14 PM
User Info
For me, a 2-pass shave is the minimum for a SAS. One pass leaves me looking like I haven’t quite got the hang of shaving just yet, or simply rushed it and missed a lot of spots.

36 2,308
 06-16-2021, 12:11 AM
User Info
(06-15-2021, 01:42 PM)meshave Wrote: I have been shaving 1 pass WTG only for approx. 4 years. Gives me the best irritation free shaves. I don't get a BBS shave, but any attempts at getting a BBS lead to lots of irritation, ingrown hair and issues. There seem to be some unwritten rules I came across when I started wet shaving -- 2/3 pass, shower before shave, warm water prep of the face. After lots of experimentation, I determined that I get the best shave by breaking all these rules -- 1 pass WTG with mild buffing, shower after the shave and shave with tap cold water. Do what works for you.

I generally do 2 passes, one with the grain and one against the grain. I also do not shower before my shave. I wet my face down really good, use a Castile soap to wash it, and then I let that soak in while I load my brush. Then I rinse my face off with warm to hot water and face lather. Then I take my shower after I finish shaving. I apply my post shave if I’m using one, and my aftershave splash when I get out of the shower.

5 926
 06-16-2021, 06:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-16-2021, 12:11 AM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 01:42 PM)meshave Wrote: I have been shaving 1 pass WTG only for approx. 4 years. Gives me the best irritation free shaves. I don't get a BBS shave, but any attempts at getting a BBS lead to lots of irritation, ingrown hair and issues. There seem to be some unwritten rules I came across when I started wet shaving -- 2/3 pass, shower before shave, warm water prep of the face. After lots of experimentation, I determined that I get the best shave by breaking all these rules -- 1 pass WTG with mild buffing, shower after the shave and shave with tap cold water. Do what works for you.

I generally do 2 passes, one with the grain and one against the grain. I also do not shower before my shave. I wet my face down really good, use a Castile soap to wash it, and then I let that soak in while I load my brush. Then I rinse my face off with warm to hot water and face lather. Then I take my shower after I finish shaving. I apply my post shave if I’m using one, and my aftershave splash when I get out of the shower.

This is my routine as well. When I started out, I followed the advice of showering first and found that the blade kind of skips when I do that.  Showering after shaving results in a much better shave for me while also ensuring that I don't have lather remaining in my ears.  Tongue

54 22,368
 06-16-2021, 06:13 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Only while traveling will 1x be acceptable

0 719
 06-16-2021, 07:06 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-16-2021, 06:11 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 12:11 AM)Mike Distress Wrote:

This is my routine as well. When I started out, I followed the advice of showering first and found that the blade kind of skips when I do that.  Showering after shaving results in a much better shave for me while also ensuring that I don't have lather remaining in my ears.  Tongue

For some inexplicable reason I always find a little bit of lather has worked it’s way behind my right earlobe. Never the left, just the right. I keep a fresh shave towel at the ready for the daily swipe.

22 6,243
 06-16-2021, 09:24 AM
  • Wayjr
  • Dallas, GA
User Info
I always do at least 3 passes plus a touch-up. I don’t shave everyday. It looks like I haven’t learned to shave, like mike_the_kraken if I do less passes.
As far as irritation, I have found that using an adjustable and starting on a higher setting, then working to a lower setting with each pass doesn’t give me irritation.

0 96
 06-16-2021, 10:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Like most, I enjoy doing multiple passes. However regarding one pass shaves, for my beard and technique only a few razors stand out as one pass plus touchups shavers. The type I Schick injector can get me there, even if it’s a two day growth. The Rex Envoy was also one, but it was just too heavy and I couldn’t enjoy my shaves due to the weight on my arthritic thumb. I just finished today’s shave which confirmed my long-standing belief about the Asylum Evolution. As long as I am on point, this too gives me a dfs one pass shave. Just for fun though, I lathered up for the second pass as I’m still breaking in a new boar brush.

22 6,243
 06-17-2021, 09:25 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I have that happen on my LEFT earlobe, Charlie!  As a right-handed guy, I lather up the right side of my face by moving the brush counter-clockwise.  On the left side of my face, I move it clockwise.  When making that motion, my left earlobe always catches a little bit of shaving cream.   Sounds like what you're doing... only in reverse!  I'm going to guess you're left handed.   Did I guess right?  Did I win?
- Bax

0 443
 06-17-2021, 09:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-17-2021, 09:25 AM)Bax Wrote: I have that happen on my LEFT earlobe, Charlie!  As a right-handed guy, I lather up the right side of my face by moving the brush counter-clockwise.  On the left side of my face, I move it clockwise.  When making that motion, my left earlobe always catches a little bit of shaving cream.   Sounds like what you're doing... only in reverse!  I'm going to guess you're left handed.   Did I guess right?  Did I win?
- Bax

Signs011

22 6,243
 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Y’know I never considered that. Now it makes sense! Thanks Wink

22 6,243
 06-17-2021, 03:04 PM
User Info