06-17-2021, 05:55 PM
User Info
I've got an auction razor on the way.  It's vintage.  No idea how many faces it's been on over the last 60 years.  How do I sterilize this thing before I use it?   I did this once before (with my first DE razor), but didn't really know what I was doing.  I soaked it overnight in rubbing alcohol.  The next day, I soaked it for a while in boiling water.  I figured alcohol kills stuff and so does boiling water, so I did both.  I'm not dead (yet) so either my strategy worked or I was just lucky. 

How DO you sterilize a used vintage DE razor before shaving with it?  Do you do it differently if it's stainless?  Gold plated?  Nickel plated?  Chrome?  Rusty?  And how do you get rid of the residual imaginary germs that outlast every possible sterilization effort?

Thanks,
- Bax

0 174
 06-17-2021, 06:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Some folks swear by Barbicide. I haven’t tried that as yet. What I do with nickel plated razors is soak them for a while in hot, not boiling, soapy water - people like to recommend Dawn dishwashing liquid. I use whatever my wife bought last. Then a thorough, gentle cleaning with an ultrasoft bristle toothbrush. Repeat if necessary. Rinse with fresh water. Pour a little rubbing alcohol in a shallow dish, place the razor in the dish and gently swirl for about 30 seconds. Don’t do this with gold plate. Stainless steel can handle a longer soak. Dry and buff with an eyeglass cleaning cloth.

19 5,217
 06-17-2021, 06:28 PM
User Info
I clean it thoroughly with dish soap and warm water.  You can gently use a soft child's toothbrush, if necessary.  Then I spray alcohol on it.

60 11,096
 06-17-2021, 06:35 PM
User Info
Nice to know my alcohol and boiling hot water methods weren't off-base!  Sounds like I was more aggressive than I needed to be.  I'll be more careful next time.
Thanks for the tips, Gents!
- Bax

0 174
 06-17-2021, 09:10 PM
User Info
Warm water, dish soap, ultrasonic cleaner, and a toothbrush if it's a bit grubby.

A UV light should help too, if you want to make sure.

3 7,561
 06-18-2021, 03:48 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Thoroughly clean it with soap and water, then boil it for at least 15 minutes.

9 1,196
 06-18-2021, 05:13 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I soak them in a Barbacide solution for 15 minutes.

And, like you, I haven't suffered any ill effects. Smile

69 2,020
 06-19-2021, 04:29 PM
User Info
I went with the most reliable method possible, which was a mélange of methods suggested.  It was ultimately a 5-step process:  (1) soak in boiling water, (2) scrub with dish soap, (3) give it a BETTER scrubbing with toothpaste and toothbrush, (4) and let it soak a while in alcohol, and (5) enjoy two fingers of cold bourbon (or a quality sippin' scotch) while you wait for it to soak. If you finish your bourbon too quickly, pour yourself another one.  Voila!  Soon the razor is clean -- and even if it isn't, you don't care quite so much anyway.. so it's ready for use!  This tried-and-true, old time, ancient method that was handed down for generations is one I just made up, of course, based on all of your inputs.  I don't think anyone suggested the toothpaste, but it sounded like a good idea at the time, so I added it.  After devising this ultimate method of sterilizing a razor, I modified it before revealing this DE Razor secret... originally the bourbon step was #1.  Maybe that's why toothpaste seemed so brilliant at the  time...
:-)
Thanks, fellas!
- Bax

0 174
 06-19-2021, 04:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Go easy on the toothpaste Bax. Depending on what you’re using, it might be too abrasive.

19 5,217
 06-20-2021, 04:02 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Hmm, no one mentioned a soak in H2O2 Hydrogen peroxide. as for the rusty razors, there is the vinegar soak to remove rust but so many not rusty razors of all ages that I would use the rusty ones in a collage or metal sculpture.

0 528