06-18-2021, 08:52 AM
User Info
I purchased a shirt recently - one of those lightweight, wicking, button-up shirts that are comfortable, stylish, and work well in hot/cold climates. As soon as I got it I knew I’d wear it a ton - and immediately set out to purchase any other colors that I liked.

I don’t like to shop. So - when I find something that works well, I’m ok with having multiple versions in different colors. If I find a shirt I really like, I’ll buy it in 4 different colors. Same with jeans (which are a pain to find what fits).

Does anyone else do this? Forego “this years style trend” for comfortable and stylish-enough… even if I have fewer styles in the closet?

36 2,221
 06-18-2021, 10:13 AM
User Info
A major benefit of working where I do is that I never have to think about what to wear for work Tongue

As for my off work outfits... yeah, I've worn the same style (or lack thereof) for twenty thirty years now. Dress for comfort, I say Smile

3 7,560
 06-18-2021, 12:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-18-2021, 08:52 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I purchased a shirt recently - one of those lightweight, wicking, button-up shirts that are comfortable, stylish, and work well in hot/cold climates. As soon as I got it I knew I’d wear it a ton - and immediately set out to purchase any other colors that I liked.

I don’t like to shop. So - when I find something that works well, I’m ok with having multiple versions in different colors. If I find a shirt I really like, I’ll buy it in 4 different colors. Same with jeans (which are a pain to find what fits).

Does anyone else do this? Forego “this years style trend” for comfortable and stylish-enough… even if I have fewer styles in the closet?
Yes, I do the same thing. Right now, my shirts of choice are the Arctic Cool cooling polo shirts. They are so much more comfortable than cotton. A few years ago, I never thought I'd say that.

54 22,023
 06-18-2021, 02:44 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I buy bulk when I find what works. When it comes to things like socks, underwear, and so on, the additional advantage is never having to sort them. They always match Smile

0 2,375
 06-18-2021, 05:10 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've done it forever - once bought four (4) identical suits from a local tailor in different somber shades.  These days if something fits & lasts I go back & purchase whatever  is still available in different colors

82 797
 06-18-2021, 07:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I buy t-shirts, underwear, and socks in bulk.  I usually buy regular button up shirt one or two at a time.  Depends on time of year.  I wear long sleeves year round due to possible skin cancer from direct sun.  The benefit of abusing my body when I was young during the summer months in Texas.  Pants, I buy 4 pair at a time.  Three dark gray and one dark blue, 5:11 Tactical.  I wear Birkenstock closed toe shoes and buy one pair at a time, about every 5 to 7 years.  I own one dark gray suit, two white dress shirts, and 4 ties.  That's it.  They can send me out of this world the same way I arrived, butt naked.

189 26,345
 06-19-2021, 04:38 AM
User Info
(06-18-2021, 10:13 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: A major benefit of working where I do is that I never have to think about what to wear for work Tongue

As for my off work outfits... yeah, I've worn the same style (or lack thereof) for twenty thirty years now. Dress for comfort, I say Smile

If only I worked in a nudist colony...

69 2,153
 06-19-2021, 12:11 PM
User Info
(06-19-2021, 04:38 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 10:13 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: A major benefit of working where I do is that I never have to think about what to wear for work Tongue

If only I worked in a nudist colony...

That would have been even easier, yes.

As it is, fatigues. All day, every day, unless it's a parade and I call in sick Tongue

3 7,560
 06-22-2021, 01:13 PM
User Info
I suspect more people do it than you think!  Shoes and boots are VERY difficult for me to find.  When I find a boot or shoe that fits, I ALWAYS buy two (pairs).  I wear one pair and the other goes under the bed.  When the first pair wears out, I start wearing the spare ones... and immediately start shopping for my NEXT two.  I have until Pair #2 wears out to find their successors.
- Bax

0 173