06-22-2021, 01:00 PM
User Info
Not sure where to put this because it's a topic that includes razors, cream, blades, hygiene, and all!  I was given a "Buddy Kit" shaving kit.  It was represented to be military issue during the Korean War era.  That's all I know about it.  There are lots of OTHER kits like this I found online from WWI and WWII, but none that looked quite like this one.  I found some history of military issue kits, but not about this specific kit.  The only identical ones I've seen have been on auction sites, so the history and provenance of this piece is quite a mystery.   
Does anyone besides me have one of these, or know anything about it?
[Image: LLQAuun.jpg]  
The kit itself is in a vinyl case that's very fragile.  The snaps have torn almost all the way out of the vinyl material.  It's stiff.  I am SURE there was a comb in there, too, but it's gone.  No idea what happened to it.  The "Shaving Powder" is chunky, and the "Tooth Powder" is powdery (and tastes like Baking Soda)... after I stirred them with a toothpick.  Originally they looked packed solid, but loosened up easily.  
[Image: Xt8YdfX.jpg]
The "New Blu Strike Blades" smacks of false advertising.  I opened the box and there were only 4 blades in there... they did NOT look "new" by any means!   ;-)  I suspect this was perhaps used once under exigent circumstances, but otherwise left in a drawer somewhere and forgotten before it came to me.   The razor's cap looks problematic to me... with the goofy curves of the cap, I'm not sure how to handle this one.  The razor is made of a plastic, perhaps Bakelite, material.  It's too bad the metal "mirror" is rusty.  Even if it wasn't, though, the metal is pretty thin and dented up such that I doubt you could use it for shaving anyhow.  Here's a close-up of the wooden powder containers:
[Image: 7f3n2UM.jpg]
...and the "Swan" soap:
[Image: IMUbBYQ.jpg]
There's the kit, with some close-ups of the contents.  Though I was told it was military issue, I cannot confirm it.  It might be a civilian commercial thing, for all I know.  This was given to me by a relative many, many years ago.  He was military during the Korean War, so there's a bit of credence to the assertion that it's military issue.  But he wasn't exactly known for his veracity, so I'm not sure.  I'm not planning to sell it or get rid of it, so I don't care about "value."   I'd just like to know more about this goofy "Buddy Kit."  Anybody know anything about this oddity?

Thanks,
- Bax

Moderator - if this is posted in the wrong place, sorry... please move it wherever you think it'd be most appropriate.  Thank you!

0 173
 06-22-2021, 03:29 PM
User Info
I think @wegianwarrior will enjoy this very much

36 2,221
 06-22-2021, 05:36 PM
User Info
I was intrigued and so had a quick look. There is a leather one on eBay now and it reports to be WW2. There was also another older reference also from eBay (sold) reporting to be WW2. It’s odd that there would be so little information on an issued item since they would if issued have been done so in great numbers. Best of luck. I’m keeping an eye on the post because now id like to know how it goes.

0 46
 06-22-2021, 05:45 PM
User Info
I kept looking and found another one on Worthpoint and it says marine issue 41-42.
[Image: 51266012415_051d07dfcb_b.jpg]

0 46
 06-22-2021, 06:37 PM
User Info
Since I started trying to figure this out, I've seen a lot of those "World War II" style kits on different auction sites. And some different variations. But the one I've got (at the top of the thread) is configured differently. The goofy case that it's in folds in from the sides and then from the top and bottom. Mine is made with a vinyl material rather than canvas or cloth of any kind. Quite an odd setup! A month or so ago I saw one exactly like mine on ebay, but the seller clearly didn't know any more about it than I do. :-(
- Bax

0 173
 06-23-2021, 11:02 AM
User Info
(06-22-2021, 03:29 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I think @wegianwarrior will enjoy this very much

Ya think Biggrin ?

Thank you Bax, for including the patent number. That made it a lot easier to find this:

[Image: US2321807-drawings-page-1.png]
Patent application filed in 1941, granted in 1943. Main claims (ie: what the 'invention' was all about) was that this was:

Quote:A kit of the character disclosed including a single piece of flexible material adapted to be folded transversely on a medial line to form a back and cover, marginal edge flaps for the back and cover adapted to be connected by slide fasteners to form a closed receptacle, a plurality of pockets formed on the inner face of the cover, an article holding base of approximately the same size as the back detachably secured to the inner face of the same and having article retaining straps on its inner face, side aps on the back adapted to overlie the article holding base, detachable securing means on said flaps to connect the articles in place, and said article holding base being formed of relatively stiff material to prevent distortion of the flexible back and cover when the kit is closed.

The patent also lists the kit as suitable for, and I quote, "hunters, scouts, hikers, campers, soldiers, sailors, and others.". Further the kit was - allegedly - not bulky, but capable of being carried in a hip or breast pocket while holding many implements of use for toilet purposes.

There seem to have been at least two variations of the kit by the way - one with the fold over flaps like Bax posted, and one in a "pocket" like the one ebonysw posted a picture of.

Given the fairly low numbers I can find online, the lack of any markings beyond manufacturers marks, and the relative large amount of things in the kit leads me to believe this was not a standard issue set. Rather it may have been a substitute standard, or a set offered for sale in the commissary or post exchange.

3 7,560
 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM
User Info
Wow!  Awesome find!
You must be the resident lawyer in the forum!
Well done!
I'm impressed!
Thanks for the INTEL!
- Bax

0 173
 06-23-2021, 11:20 AM
User Info
(06-23-2021, 11:12 AM)Bax Wrote: You must be the resident lawyer in the forum!
That would be Ricardo, not me Smile

(06-23-2021, 11:12 AM)Bax Wrote: Thanks for the INTEL!
Okay, I'll accept that one - sub rosa Tongue

3 7,560
 06-23-2021, 12:31 PM
User Info
Under the roses? I've heard of Four Roses whiskey.
Now I'm even more impressed! You found it while "Sub Rosa," but I couldn't have found it even if I was stone cold sober! HUZZAH!!!
;-)
- Bax (Latin illiterate)

0 173
 06-23-2021, 04:37 PM
User Info
Interesting thread.  I'm always amazed at what historical information guys dig up about vintage items.  Hans must be the world's leading authority on old, shaving related patents.  We're fortunate to have him on TSN.

60 11,096
 06-23-2021, 04:51 PM
User Info
(06-23-2021, 04:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Interesting thread.  I'm always amazed at what historical information guys dig up about vintage items.  Hans must be the world's leading authority on old, shaving related patents.  We're fortunate to have him on TSN.

I agree. It is fascinating. I am still learning about the current stuff that's on the market now. There is so much to know. I also think Hans is the leading authority. He should get a special title on here like Master Wet Shaving Historian. Or something similar.  Sisi

4 620
 06-23-2021, 06:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-23-2021, 04:51 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(06-23-2021, 04:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Interesting thread.  I'm always amazed at what historical information guys dig up about vintage items.  Hans must be the world's leading authority on old, shaving related patents.  We're fortunate to have him on TSN.

I agree. It is fascinating. I am still learning about the current stuff that's on the market now. There is so much to know. I also think Hans is the leading authority. He should get a special title on here like Master Wet Shaving Historian. Or something similar.  Sisi

Hans M
Guardian of the Signet of Galilean Methodology
Dean of Research and History
Shave Nook University

19 5,217
 06-23-2021, 06:54 PM
User Info
(06-23-2021, 06:36 PM)chazt Wrote:
(06-23-2021, 04:51 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Hans M
Guardian of the Signet of Galilean Methodology
Dean of Research and History
Shave Nook University
We should have a virtual formal ceremony.

4 620
 06-23-2021, 07:32 PM
User Info
Oooo! "Dean of Research and History" -- sounds great! He's tenured, so why not? The allegations of an affinity for Four Roses whiskey was never substantiated. I vote for Hans! He rocks!
- Bax

0 173
 06-24-2021, 12:33 AM
User Info
Collector and disseminator of useless information Tongue ?

3 7,560