06-27-2021, 05:05 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Being a small business owner, my wife and I don't get to do much overnighter travel any more.  But I've still been giving thought to how I would pack certain items in my DOP Kit.  Like DE blades in particular.  I know they're inexpensive, but I like to get at least a few shaves/blade rather than do a one and done.  Well, we are managing to get to sneak away for an overnight trip in a couple of weeks, and this idea just came to mind.  If you have a soap container at least the size of a Cella, and have some head room between the soap and lid, you can stash a pack of blades in the soap container, screw on the lid and all safe and sound.  After the shave you can put the blade back in it's wrapper, put it back in the box and use it again, or take it home to dispose of in your blade bank.  

What are sone of your travel hacks?
[Image: 5Tbvj6b.jpg]

0 495
 06-27-2021, 06:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Life’s too short to use a dull blade
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I don’t know, Ron. It seems like you’re unnecessarily introducing and locking in moisture to the blades’ storage environment. It might be wiser to stash the tuck in a sandwich baggie.

19 5,245
 06-27-2021, 06:43 PM
User Info
I share Charlie's concern about putting the blades into a container of wet soap.  

I  use each blade once and throw it out, whether at home or traveling.  Blades are so inexpensive that I've never seen a need to get more than one shave from each one.  

When traveling, I just put the blades in a baggie and put that into the dopp kit.

60 11,103
 06-28-2021, 01:54 AM
User Info
For my travels, I use such a Chinese case. Although not very pretty, it is very functional. In use for three years. Sold on Aliexpress, very cheap
[Image: 11.jpg]

0 13
 06-28-2021, 02:34 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(06-27-2021, 06:32 PM)chazt Wrote: I don’t know, Ron. It seems like you’re unnecessarily introducing and locking in moisture to the blades’ storage environment. It might be wiser to stash the tuck in a sandwich baggie.

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that.

0 495
 06-28-2021, 03:41 AM
User Info
Invest in a Khaki Kit. Or a modern recreation, like the one sold by Spearhead Shaving. They don't cost much, and keep your razor and blades safe.

3 7,567
 06-28-2021, 04:12 AM
User Info
I guess I was misunderstanding what you were trying to do after reading your post but before I saw the pictures.  I'm not worried about blades still in the tuck; my concern is the blade still in the razor so I can use it more than once.  I know they make razor head covers and I have one to try in a few weeks so will report back how it works.

My other concern is the amount of room the soap, brush, etc. will take.  I used to use a clear shave gel so a brush was not necessary but I have to reapply it on each shave pass.  I don't want to use "lather in a can" so I have ordered some Barbasol 1919 which per the YouTube video I saw on it is brushless, super slick, and leaves enough residue after the 1st pass that all the guy did in the video was rewet his face and did a 2nd pass.  When done he reported he had to really rinse his face to finally get it all off.  I'll try it also and report back.

0 72
 06-28-2021, 05:50 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
(06-28-2021, 04:12 AM)Chappy Wrote: I guess I was misunderstanding what you were trying to do after reading your post but before I saw the pictures.  I'm not worried about blades still in the tuck; my concern is the blade still in the razor so I can use it more than once.  I know they make razor head covers and I have one to try in a few weeks so will report back how it works.

My other concern is the amount of room the soap, brush, etc. will take.  I used to use a clear shave gel so a brush was not necessary but I have to reapply it on each shave pass.  I don't want to use "lather in a can" so I have ordered some Barbasol 1919 which per the YouTube video I saw on it is brushless, super slick, and leaves enough residue after the 1st pass that all the guy did in the video was rewet his face and did a 2nd pass.  When done he reported he had to really rinse his face to finally get it all off.  I'll try it also and report back.

My idea was having a way to reuse a blade for more than one shave, but not risk it getting dinged up while still in the razor.  So I'm thinking remove the blade after the shave, dry it and blotting the soap dry, put the blade back in the wrapper then stash that back in the soap container so the blade doesn't get damaged.  I know I'm being cheap by not just tossing it after a single use.  But I get 3 or 4 good shaves each blade.  And I see no reason to change the way I do things.  It's just a thought.  I'll have a better idea of it in a few weeks after I've tried it out on our trip.

0 495
 06-28-2021, 06:55 AM
User Info
I have a vintage travel kit that has been around the world a number of times and its still going strong.

[Image: il_794xN.3124759448_de5s.jpg]

It's similar to the above kit. Razor and a couple of chrome holders with bakelite inserts, 1 has my brush in it and the other has a shaving stick. there is an additional place for a tuck of blades in mine which the above does not have. They can be had off the bay at a very reasonable price.

0 46
 06-28-2021, 07:08 AM
User Info
(06-28-2021, 06:55 AM)ebonysw45 Wrote: I have a vintage travel kit that has been around the world a number of times and its still going strong.

[Image: il_794xN.3124759448_de5s.jpg]

It's similar to the above kit. Razor and a couple of chrome holders with bakelite inserts, 1 has my brush in it and the other has a shaving stick. there is an additional place for a tuck of blades in mine which the above does not have. They can be had off the bay at a very reasonable price.

Very beautiful and stylish thing!

0 13
 06-28-2021, 08:52 AM
User Info
The Heritage is a neat modern version of the old travel razor:
[Image: H2Ii5if.jpg]

I think they sell for the princely sum of $34.   It'd let you carry a razor and tuck of blades in a hard-case travel container.

Or the old-school Traveler razors are around (you can find them in the $10 price range):
[Image: NUAEGlS.jpg]

These came in a variety of hard AND soft cases, but are a cheap option.

Both are great ways to safely carry a razor and tuck of blades on a short trip, unless you're a "brillo beard" and go through blades like crazyman (I can get a LOT of shaves out of a single tuck of blades).  It might be cheaper to buy a razor kit like one of those than it woudl be to buy a naked travel case for your existing razor and blades.  Just a thought.  Your mileage may vary!  :-)

- Bax

0 195
 06-28-2021, 12:53 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
The tiny handled Gillette travel tech razor can be found with a leather or metal case. The case is designed to hold the razor and blades. It is really tiny. The razors are mostly new old stock as they were probably gifts for the man who has everything that ended up in the back of the den drawer. The razor looks curious but the handle is well balanced to the head and the tech razor invented smooth and efficient (according to Gillette anyway)

0 529
 06-28-2021, 02:37 PM
User Info
Not my original idea, so I can't take credit (dunno where it came from -- a forum somewhere); I went to my local pharmacy with a shaving stick and my Proraso mini travel brush and asked if they had any pill bottles that size.  The kindly matron behind the counter eyeballed my brush and soap over the top of her bifocal glasses, and (with a smile) commented that using the soap and brush these days was "quaint" (although she didn't SAY it, I could HEAR her thinking "Bless your heart..." in a pitiful, condolatory sort of way).  Some folks don't understand why we don't just want to grab a can of Foamy and call it good, I guess.  She reached back on a shelf where all the goofy pills were kept, and produced two perfect-sized containers.  They will make carrying my brush and soap pretty easy.  All I need to do is drill a few ventilation holes in 'em.  She gave them to me free of charge.  And now she has a story she can re-tell other customers for the rest of the week!  And they'll all undoubtedly *ALL* be puzzled why a strapping young lad (like me) would want travel containers for old-fashioned shaving tools like soap and a brush![Image: dNvjI7i.jpg]
IMHO the "local pharmacy" solution gets two thumbs up!
...AND it was fun!
  :-)
- Bax

0 195
 06-28-2021, 03:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Life’s too short to use a dull blade
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, shopping at local small businesses is always a good idea. Even online specialty small businesses, also a good idea. Independent retailers are the backbone of product knowledge and experience. It’s a shame mass Etailing has made it so difficult for so many small, independent shops to thrive and survive.

19 5,245
 06-28-2021, 03:31 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Wow, I wish I had thought of that! instead, I spent $10 on a case for my Simpson Trafalgar T1. Well, it does say Simpson, the case material matches the handle and it came with drainage holes. No room for soap tho. 

Hmmm, pluses and minuses to everything.

0 529
 06-29-2021, 07:31 AM
User Info
Said I would give feedback about Barbasol 1919 so did a SOTD post and included the back of the tube for ingredients.  Included the name so you could search for it by name.  This is now my new travel and don't have time for pampering shave times.  It is also super slick!  WOW!

[Image: YzoCOt5.jpg]

0 72