06-28-2021, 10:52 PM
User Info
For the past few days, in our region we have been experiencing a truly historic heat wave that has broken multiple records. Temperatures have been in the high 30s and low to mid 40s. Nobody I know has ever experienced this kind of heat in this region. I have only felt this kind of heat in the tropics. I thought it would be appropriate to talk about the impact such heat has on our shaving gear and its appropriate storage. Like most people in this region, I do not have air conditioning, as we hardly ever need it. All of my gear is stored indoors in drawers or on shelves, shaded from the sun. Here are my observations:

Soaps: The 2 soaps in my rotation seem to be just fine, stored as is.
Creams: My musgo real creams seem to be a little thinner coming out of the tube, but perform as usual.
SV illipe butter preshave: Definitely lost viscosity with a thin layer of transparent liquid on top. I am assuming the top is separating oils/butter. I have placed this in the refrigerator.
Proraso preshave: Is softer than usual, but performance is unchanged.
Alcoholic after shave splashes: I only have 3 of them and they seem to be just fine. 
After shave balms / salve: I primarily use balms and hence have several of these. Most of them are coming out thinner than usual, with some better off than others. I have placed most of them in the refrigerator. 
Blades and razors: Assuming that they will remain unaffected if stored properly.
Brushes: I use only badger and synthetic brushes and they seem unaffected. I am inclined to say that the products used to install the knots are probably resistant to water at a much higher temperature than our weather and so, there is no risk of them deteriorating.

Would love to hear from others, especially makers of software and what they recommend. I noticed that several of the products that I have did not have any instructions on what temperature to store them in.

0 183
 06-29-2021, 01:15 AM
User Info
My corner of Norway is predicted to hot about 30°C this weekend... it may not sound much to some, but it's a lot when you're living in a place where houses are insulated for winter and not cooled for summer... I predict that I'll be breaking out the menthol soaps and aftershaves Tongue

3 7,567
 06-29-2021, 05:43 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Proraso only gets used this time of the year. Love the cooling affect of alcohol aftershaves in the heat. LOL

0 697
 06-29-2021, 06:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Life’s too short to use a dull blade
  • Queens, NY
User Info
We have central AC. Our indoor environment is pretty well taken care of. Two summers ago however, it broke down for several days during a heat wave. I didn’t notice any product degradation.

And yes, lots of menthol is definitely in order!

19 5,245
 06-29-2021, 10:51 AM
User Info
Colorado, in the USA, goes through extreme temperature swings each year (it’s common to have a 30F swing each day here) and it’s a non-issue for shaving gear. We just went through two weeks of mid 40’s C / over 100F - all shaving gear works fine. The greater concern for me is the drift between extremely-dry and humid - but even that hasn’t caused problems.

36 2,224
 06-29-2021, 04:09 PM
User Info
Got a soap delivery today from FedEx and I ran out to get that soap indoors fast. All good.

69 2,155
 06-29-2021, 06:17 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Here in PA it was mid 90sF yesterday and 98F & humid today.  We have central air, but the roof top exhaust fan crapped out on us 2 days ago.  And the new one won't be in till next week.  So all that heat that normally gets removed, is just being recirculated along with the cooler air from the AC.  Not particularly comfortable at the moment.  But all my shave gear is performing the same.  Although the organic coconut oil I use as a post shave balm is liquified.  But it still works as always.

0 495