07-01-2021, 10:10 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Perhaps a dedicated section seems moot. Results of the poll notwithstanding, I’m going to try it out just for the hell of it. Thanks for clicking on my post. I’m not going to impose any particular constraints on this “journal” nor will I intentionally attempt to dilute content elsewhere. It’s likely that over time posts may appear inconsistently or they may come in flurries. I’ve been known to engage in stream of consciousness opining here and there so please forgive me in advance for any idiocy that is bound to appear at some point.

Here goes..

As most on TSN likely know by now (not that anyone really cares, I’m sure) I’m not a huge scent guy. Most seem too complex for my pedestrian olfaction. That said I’ve been trying to expand my horizons for the last two or three years, where prior to that I went unscented probably about 95% of the time.

For a while now I’ve been thinking about giving shave creams another go around. For quite some time now I’ve been solely a face latherer, soaps only. My previous experience with creams was mostly with those in tubes; Proraso Red, Green/C.O. Bigelow and Blue, and also Palmolive Green and Red. I used to love (ga-ga!) the scent of P-Red pre/post, soap and cream, however the only Red product I currently use is the aftershave splash. It easily satisfies my jones for Proraso sandalwood. It’s lighter than the others. The P-Green was very enjoyable as was the Bigelow branded stuff. I wasn’t so crazy about the Blue. Fwiw, I enjoyed the Proraso Red and Green more than the Palmolive Red and Green. Other creams I have tried but wasn’t scentifically (note the neologism) enthusiastic about include a particular tobacco scented cream and also a charcoal infused cream. To the best of my recollection that is the extent of my experience with shave creams.

Yesterday I received this assortment of creams from BullGoose. Straight up UK!
[Image: Mes6yhd.jpg]

It was 97 Fahrenheit yesterday and the package sat on the front stoop for a half hour until my neighbor graciously took the box in for me. After a sit in front of the AC vent all seemed good.

Today’s shave was a pleasure. I skipped yesterday so my skin would be ready to rock. This was it..
[Image: yt6nnX8.jpg]

The Asylum English Collection Aloe smells great. It’s mild and mellow like me. There’s an enjoyable citrus thing going on, which is what I was looking for. I loaded my brush more than was necessary, but I suppose that will come with more experience. Cushion and glide was highly shave worthy. As usual the Evolution/Lab Blue combo was smooth and close. Paired with Swiss Pitralon, the resulting shave was highly enjoyable.

Thanks for reading this far. To be continued. Or not. Probably.

chaz

19 5,217
 07-10-2021, 06:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
In the last two months or so I’ve been on a little brush acquisition binge. My plan was to use a short rotation of about half dozen or so of my most recent additions starting with the middle of May right on through to the end of August. I’m weak.

[Image: cKB7MpH.jpg]

19 5,217
 07-10-2021, 06:23 PM
User Info
Weak.  Ha!  I share the feeling.
I am constantly beguiled by the seductive charms of vintage Gillette razors.
I hope I am not similarly seduced by brushes, blades, creams, lotions, and potions!
- Bax

0 174
 07-11-2021, 05:22 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(07-10-2021, 06:23 PM)Bax Wrote: Weak.  Ha!  I share the feeling.
I hope I am not similarly seduced by brushes, blades, creams, lotions, and potions!
- Bax

24 Piggy_214 Badger Firedevil Facepalm Smiley_1140 Laughing1 Thumbup

0 528
 07-11-2021, 06:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-10-2021, 06:23 PM)Bax Wrote: Weak.  Ha!  I share the feeling.
- Bax

It’s too late for you, Bax.
[Image: J9ShoFL.jpg]

19 5,217
 07-11-2021, 05:11 PM
User Info
I knew about the Razor Borg.... there's a Brush Borg, too???
Yikes!
- Bax

0 174
 07-12-2021, 07:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
One shave per blade. I’m getting there.. Ricardo may be right after all A6

19 5,217
 07-14-2021, 01:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Didn’t shave until 4PM today. It was a baseball-centric shave what with the B&M Diamond software and a Star razor. I posted over in SOTD, but figured this was important to post here. No offense to CHI fans, but the real All Star here is definitely Marilyn! Where was Joe D?
[Image: gw3dqny.jpg]

19 5,217
 07-16-2021, 03:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-12-2021, 07:59 PM)chazt Wrote: One shave per blade. I’m getting there.. Ricardo may be right after all A6

Crystals and Labs, one and done. IPs and Med Preps I can use twice, maaaybe three times but that’s stretching it.

It’s odd. Crystals and IPs were made in the same factory, as are the Preps and Labs. Why the disparity? After countless trials, with many different razor and software combinations. Generally, the same results. IPs and Preps give me a second smooth and comfortable shave that their factory counterparts do not. Weird.

19 5,217
 07-20-2021, 06:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Every so often I use a blade for the first time in a long time. Most recently it was Polsilver. I still have a tuck or two of them stashed away. I probably haven’t used one in five years. Yesterday’s shave was my best shave in weeks; bbs for hours. Polsilver in a sixties English Tech. My shave was Hyper close, smooth as hell, Zero irritation anywhere. Just to check myself I used an alum block and then a healthy splash of snake bite. It was remarkable, really.

Today I used the same blade in my Canadian Tech. It was a good shave, not great. Not as smooth or close, not by a long shot. There was no irritation, no sting. But I was not bbs everywhere. Definitely not as good a shave as the previous. I don’t think this blade will see a third shave.

19 5,217
 07-23-2021, 07:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For the last few months I’ve enjoyed a new and fun blade dispensing activity. I took a Med Prep box and filled it with a variety of blades from my stash. I purposely loaded the box all willy-nilly with nary a rhyme nor a reason. Before every shave I present the box to Mrs. chazt who closes her eyes and selects the blade of the day. Then, based upon her choice I choose the matching razor. It’s been a load of fun. G always asks, “Did I choose a good one?” and I always reply, “It’s one of my favorites.” Of all the shaves that started this way, only two or three were rough and uninspired. Clearly operator error.

Today we added a new element to the game. The brush. When I called Mrs. chazt in to the den to make her inaugural brush selection, she happened to be speaking on the phone with our youngest child. Amazing but true, G arbitrarily picked the T3 that our daughter (the one on the phone!) bought me for Father’s Day last year. It was karma! And a good shave, too Biggrin

19 5,217
 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM
User Info
Fun!
I bet there's a back-story on that razor, too...
  ;-)
- Bax

0 174
 07-23-2021, 07:58 AM
User Info
(07-23-2021, 07:42 AM)chazt Wrote: For the last few months I’ve enjoyed a new and fun blade dispensing activity. I took a Med Prep box and filled it with a variety of blades from my stash. I purposely loaded the box all willy-nilly with nary a rhyme nor a reason. Before every shave I present the box to Mrs. chazt who closes her eyes and selects the blade of the day. Then, based upon her choice I choose the matching razor. It’s been a load of fun. G always asks, “Did I choose a good one?” and I always reply, “It’s one of my favorites.” Of all the shaves that started this way, only two or three were rough and uninspired. Clearly operator error.

Today we added a new element to the game. The brush. When I called Mrs. chazt in to the den to make her inaugural brush selection, she happened to be speaking on the phone with our youngest child. Amazing but true, G arbitrarily picked the T3 that our daughter (the one on the phone!) bought me for Father’s Day last year. It was karma! And a good shave, too Biggrin

I went a bit rogue yesterday. I tried a blade I had never used in a razor I had just gotten. Perhaps not the best idea. Most likely some user error as it was the PAA DOC adjustable. The shave was fine, but when I did adjust the razor to slightly more aggressive, I got bit. My first use so I need to spend more time with the razor. As it was set mild, it was great. It is also aluminum, so it is much, much lighter than I am used to. So I have to adjust the pressure properly. You are braver than I am, I usually know what blade I am using in which razor. My first run with Perma-Sharps so we will see in other razors I'm familiar with.

4 620
 07-23-2021, 08:32 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-23-2021, 07:49 AM)Bax Wrote: Fun!
I bet there's a back-story on that razor, too...
  ;-)
- Bax

Sorry to disappoint, but honestly no back story on my end, other than I picked it up for a mere $18 with shipping. That said, I often wonder who used my vintage razors before they came to me. Because my Contract Tech head is gold plated, I’m guessing purely arbitrarily that an officer was issued this piece initially, but I have no way to know for sure. I should do a little research into Contract Techs to see if there was any pattern to gold vs. nickel plated razor distribution.

19 5,217
 07-23-2021, 08:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-23-2021, 07:58 AM)Mike Distress Wrote: I went a bit rogue yesterday. I tried a blade I had never used in a razor I had just gotten. Perhaps not the best idea. Most likely some user error as it was the PAA DOC adjustable. The shave was fine, but when I did adjust the razor to slightly more aggressive, I got bit. My first use so I need to spend more time with the razor. As it was set mild, it was great. It is also aluminum, so it is much, much lighter than I am used to. So I have to adjust the pressure properly. You are braver than I am, I usually know what blade I am using in which razor. My first run with Perma-Sharps so we will see in other razors I'm familiar with.

Perma Sharps are good blades. Not my fave, but they’re a solid choice.

19 5,217
 07-24-2021, 06:32 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(07-12-2021, 07:59 PM)chazt Wrote: One shave per blade. I’m getting there.. Ricardo may be right after all A6

Hmm.  That's a little too aggressive for me.  I'm patting myself on the back for stopping at four shave per.

69 2,020
 07-24-2021, 07:32 PM
User Info
I change mine every Sunday, whether they need it or not. Unless I get a crummy shave and can't figure out why. Then I pitch the blade early.
:-)
- Bax

0 174
 07-24-2021, 07:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-24-2021, 06:32 PM)MaxP Wrote: Hmm.  That's a little too aggressive for me.  I'm patting myself on the back for stopping at four shave per.

Hi Max. How are you?

I’ve never used vintage blades. I understand they’re an altogether different grade of quality compared to the various modern Personnas I enjoy. I seem to recall you’re a vintage blades aficionado. Is that right?

Before I retired I went on a blade buying frenzy. In about three years I probably tripled my blade stash. At the moment I’m sitting on close to two thousand blades. I figure at my current rate of shaves and blades used, I’m using about ~200 blades per year, maybe less. Even if I never buy another blade I’m shaving well into my seventies with this current stash.

Life’s too short to use a dull razor blade Wink

19 5,217
 07-24-2021, 07:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-24-2021, 07:32 PM)Bax Wrote: I change mine every Sunday, whether they need it or not.  Unless I get a crummy shave and can't figure out why. Then I pitch the blade early.
:-)
- Bax

What kind of blades are you using, Bax?

19 5,217