07-02-2021, 03:24 PM
User Info
I don't always need to take a macro photo, but when I do I like to be able to push in.  So I shoot through a lens backwards.
You need a lens, I used a Canon EFS 18-55.  I have a 'reversing ring' which is a bayonet mount that has threads to screw into the front filter threads.  Now it mounts to the camera 'backwards'.   For the rear, I use an adapter and a filter to create 'front glass'

[Image: ysADZca.jpg]

Then I found that my 'ring light' was too far forward, so I machined an aluminum ring with tiny set screws to draw the front edge of the lamp back.  This was important because with this type of set-up the depth of field is really pretty shallow.   I'm still learning 'photo stacking' but sometimes for more artistic reasons, it's nice to have some out of focus foreground or background.

[Image: IEQvQDF.jpg]

[Image: XE9ZvtR.jpg]

Then I wanted to have an Arca Swiss mount fine adjustment rail.  So I took some 5/8 6061 aluminum, used some hardened rails with linear bearings.  I used a acme threaded rod, so it will stay where I leave it in vertical.  It may not sound that hard ... but one of the hardest parts was figuring out my spacing for an adjustment knob with ten holes on a manual mill.

[Image: YS3SYdg.jpg]

And here it is all together

[Image: lYYuTLH.jpg]

[Image: dpCleCW.jpg]

It works really well for an in-home studio, but may not work as well outdoors with things like butterflies or bees - focusing can be a little much of a challenge, and it should go without saying, but since you mount the lens backwards, you lose all auto focus and can't really use any 'program mode' on the camera and the f-stop can't be auto-adjusted.  So you will have to use the meter to get your exposure right.

Hope you enjoyed it.

8 249
 07-02-2021, 03:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
What else do you photograph besides shave gear? It’s interesting what people enjoy shooting. My friend enjoys photographing his annual Christmas Village. I’m often drawn to closeups of plants. My Dad was a huge camera buff and he would have loved to have read your post. Some guys just have the technical and mechanical know-how to accomplish what you’ve done. That’s very cool. Thanks for sharing.

19 5,217
 07-02-2021, 04:18 PM
User Info
(07-02-2021, 03:43 PM)chazt Wrote: What else do you photograph besides shave gear? It’s interesting what people enjoy shooting. My friend enjoys photographing his annual Christmas Village. I’m often drawn to closeups of plants. My Dad was a huge camera buff and he would have loved to have read your post. Some guys just have the technical and mechanical know-how to accomplish what you’ve done. That’s very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I was on a macro kick many years ago. This was in Cape May, N.J. Mostly I shoot live music, water, fountains, things like that. I just got a new macro for my full frame, I upgraded rom a crop sensor. [Image: nKnYobn.jpg]

4 620
 07-02-2021, 04:56 PM
User Info
(07-02-2021, 03:43 PM)chazt Wrote: What else do you photograph besides shave gear? It’s interesting what people enjoy shooting. My friend enjoys photographing his annual Christmas Village. I’m often drawn to closeups of plants. My Dad was a huge camera buff and he would have loved to have read your post. Some guys just have the technical and mechanical know-how to accomplish what you’ve done. That’s very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Charlie ... I'm a Charlie too.   

WATCHES! .... I like watch photography a lot.

[Image: rdHZ13e.jpg]

This is a photo of a Sellita movement in a micro-brand named Collins Watches that I have in a fun summer color.

[Image: 8X4wgv7.jpg]

[Image: MRvO4KR.jpg]

This one really shows what I was talking about with the shallow depth of field.

8 249
 07-02-2021, 07:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
That’s great photography Charlie. You’re good for a career in commercial photography if you ask me Wink

19 5,217