07-04-2021, 05:17 AM
User Info
If pre-shave oil has a fancy scent, shaving cream has an exotic scent, and then the after-shave lotion, splash, or balm has a wonderful scent, then you add cologne that has a classic scent, too, how in blazes can you figure out what you'll smell like when you're done?  

Are you supposed to match the same scent all the way through on each product?  There are a lot of scents that I can't match from beginning do end, so that's not alwasy do-able.

Wouldn't it make sense to have unscented everything, then add a scented cologne at the end (or scented after-shave splash if you don't use cologne)?

...life was easier with a Norelco and a little bottle of Brut.  I have no idea how all these conflicting scents are supposed to work.  Is there a guide somewhere for the "scentsless shaver?"

- Bax

0 195
 07-05-2021, 06:48 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
 07-05-2021, 10:45 AM
User Info
Bax - I think your making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Soaps and pre-shave scents generally don’t last long beyond the shave - so the idea here is to create harmony during the event. It’s Summer - so if I use a citrus scented soap, I’ll use a citrus scented aftershave. And just like my grandad - what I smell like during the day is aftershave (assuming I shaved in the morning), and what I smell like in the evening as I go out is cologne (well past the time the aftershave has faded).

By the way - they DO make scentless products across the board - so even that’s not a problem.

If you want to keep it simple: use whatever scented soap you like, scentless witch-hazel afterwards - and you can choose a cologne (or not) once dry.

36 2,224
 07-05-2021, 11:33 AM
User Info
I am actually going to quasi-commiserate with your  plight. Here's the solution: just like Mike suggested, use witch hazel after your shave and 99.99% of the soap scent will be obliterated. Then do as I do, pick a luxurious cologne and smell like a million bucks.

99 7,048
 07-05-2021, 01:32 PM
User Info
I guess I am overthinking it. I've never messed much with men's aftershaves and colognes and whatnot. I was always happy to just smell like soap (instead of a stinky gym sock). Using your guidance above, I guess I can use whatever I like get every stage of the game, because the only one who will smell it is me. But the last thing I put on needs to be one my lovely bride likes, too, because that's the smell that's going to stick around a while! Makes sense, I guess.
Thanks,
- Bax

0 195
 07-05-2021, 05:39 PM
User Info
For me, it's simple.  If I'm going to wear cologne, I use Witch Hazel, with alcohol, as an aftershave.  If I'm not going to use cologne, I use whatever scented aftershave I feel like.  I don't match soaps and aftershaves.

60 11,103
 07-05-2021, 06:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Life’s too short to use a dull blade
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-05-2021, 01:32 PM)Bax Wrote: I guess I am overthinking it. I've never messed much with men's aftershaves and colognes and whatnot. I was always happy to just smell like soap (instead of a stinky gym sock).  Using your guidance above, I guess I can use whatever I like get every stage of the game, because the only one who will smell it is me.  But the last thing I put on needs to be one my lovely bride likes, too, because that's the smell that's going to stick around a while!  Makes sense, I guess.
Thanks,
- Bax

Good thinking. Practice judiciousness. Don’t become one of “those guys” you can smell long before you see him.

Unlike Ricardo, I now often try to match soaps and aftershaves. My collection is small enough to make that work within a few scent categories. I enjoy sandalwoods, fougeres, and citrus. And menthol goes with everything, imo..

For my first 3 or 4 years of traditional shaving, I used unscented soap, witch hazel and alum 95% of the time. Filled in the remainder with P-Red and one or two other scented soaps. I only recently (3-4 years) began to experiment with scented soaps and even more recently (~2 years) scented aftershaves. If your journey is similar to mine, you may not find something pleasing to your sensibilities with every purchase. If you find a scent category you like, experiment with one or two other soaps and or splashes. You may not appreciate everything you try. Maybe you will. By this point in my journey, most of my soap stash remains unscented, however I also now have a rotation of ~20 scented soaps and creams and 7 or 8 aftershaves. It took a while. Trial and error. Some stuff I’ve kept. Some I sold, some PIFfed. A few friends have been the gracious recipients of software that just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Start slowly and have fun Smile

19 5,245
 07-06-2021, 02:40 AM
User Info
(07-05-2021, 05:39 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: For me, it's simple.  If I'm going to wear cologne, I use Witch Hazel, with alcohol, as an aftershave.  If I'm not going to use cologne, I use whatever scented aftershave I feel like.  I don't match soaps and aftershaves.
Signs011

99 7,048
 07-08-2021, 06:38 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I find this to be a good thread.  And thanks Bax for posting what I had been ruminating on for a while now.  The alcohol/witch hazel thing is a good tip.  Kudos guys.

0 495