10-05-2012, 06:04 PM
User Info
A recent post of Tieste's about his changing preference for softer brushes got me thinking about my small badger brush collection, particularly those that I use to bowl lather creams.

Tieste articulated as did many of the commenters in that thread that our tastes change over time. As you may have noticed from my participation on this forum that I'm primarily a boar brush user,mostly Semogue boars, with an occasional Omega or TGN finest switch. My discovery of boar brushes allowed me to save a great deal of tiem by face lathering a shave stick or a puck of shave soap.

However, occasionally I found that I like to whip up a nice cream lather wither with C.O. Bigelow, Arko cream or Real Shave Company shave cream I've been lucky enough to pick up some nice brushes on BST (thanks Bob Farvour and Vocalist Bob) to add to my existing Frank Shave Richmond.

As always is the way in wet shaving, YMMV, but I've realilized that I too prefer tipped brushes. For soaps and sticks, I love a really broken in boar brush, but for creams it's these three bad boys.

[Image: av9vxswo3]

[attachment=6816]
[Image: 8058108725]

(Left to Right: Frank Shave Richmond silvertip 24mm, Truefitt & Hill 3/2 silvertip; Vulfix 377 Super.

I realize that hair quality can vary even from the same manufacturer, but these three brushes are all incredibly soft. I use them only for bowl lathering, preferring boars or TGN Finest for soap/face lathering

The Frank Shave Richmond is what I would characterize as a medium density brush, it's great for what I use it for. At a 52mm loft it's a bit on the, let's say undense, the plus side is that it has excellent flow-through. It has an incredible face feel - a shave cream, puffed pillow on my face.

The Truefitt & Hill 3/2 also 24mm but with a 48 mm loft that is a much denser brush than the Frank Richmond, tends to hold onto lather more than the Frank (solution to use a tad more product) yet being a denser, shorter lofted brush it has an equal great soft face feel.

Finally the Vulflix 377 super is an enormous brush, 26mm . I purchased this from Vocalist Bob, who claimed that it was almost as soft as Vulflix sivertip. I've never used a Vulfix silvertip, but I can't imagine a brush being any softer than this one.

At first I was a bit alarmed at the sheer size of this brush. Wearing a goatee and mustache, perhaps this brush is too big for me, but it's a sheer pleasure to use - again face feel. Density wise it's denser the the Frank Richmond, but not as dense as teh Truefitt & Hill brush. Being such a large brush, I absolutely need to add more cream to it to build a lather, but it's a lather dynamo.

I still love my boars (and use them primarily) but have to admit when it comes time to wander into the cream universe, these brushes are treats.

Apparently I seem to be having problems getting the photo to show either as a flickr image or as an attachemtn.

Any suggestions?

3 452
 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
3_Soft_Silvertips<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

9 2,988
 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM
User Info
The Truefitt & Hill 3/2 is a tremendous brush. I bought it on BST on another forum. I've often read that T&H has Rooney constuct it's silvertip brushes.

It can be purchased from Truefitt & Hill:

http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00290__19.html

3 452
 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Robert : Im heading the same direction , my friend , and the Rooney brushes are very good indeed.The next one would be a silverip 1/2 (under Truefitt and Hill) and maybe , a 3/2 like yours , both in horn.
The Vulfix is another excellent performer.I have the 374 , which I like better than expected , but the same happened to me with the 2234 when I got it.Excellent brushes for shaving creams (and triple milled soaps ) and priced right.
I cant comment about the FS brush , never tried their silvertip.Maybe time also to change that.

86 7,123
 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
(10-05-2012, 06:24 PM)redrako Wrote: The Truefitt & Hill 3/2 is a tremendous brush. I bought it on BST on another forum. I've often read that T&H has Rooney construct it's silvertip brushes.

Mark says someone else makes it. I'd wager on Vulfix.

9 2,988
 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
User Info
Nice brushes, Robert!

75 20,883
 10-06-2012, 01:39 AM
User Info
(10-05-2012, 06:42 PM)Teiste Wrote: Robert : Im heading the same direction , my friend , and the Rooney brushes are very good indeed.The next one would be a silverip 1/2 (under Truefitt and Hill) and maybe , a 3/2 like yours , both in horn.
The Vulfix is another excellent performer.I have the 374 , which I like better than expected , but the same happened to me with the 2234 when I got it.Excellent brushes for shaving creams (and triple milled soaps ) and priced right.
I cant comment about the FS brush , never tried their silvertip.Maybe time also to change that.

Tieste, we are sypatico. I"ve had my eye on the Truefitt & Hill 1/2, but ended up picking up the 3/2 due to a great offer on BST on B&B from Bob Farvour (sp) and was surprisingly pleased with the handle. I've also had my eye on a Vulfix 2235 in super, but. now that I know how large the 377 blooms, I may bump the Vuflix down to the 2234, however I have three very soft silvertips that I enjoy so would newer brushes would be a fairly low priority.

(10-05-2012, 07:33 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(10-05-2012, 06:24 PM)redrako Wrote: The Truefitt & Hill 3/2 is a tremendous brush. I bought it on BST on another forum. I've often read that T&H has Rooney construct it's silvertip brushes.

Regarding the Frank Shave brush, they were a tremendous value, if you happened to pick up one of the good ones Smile (like old Packard Bell computers or AMC cars). I realize that all brush manufacturers have a variance in hair quality, with this brush I was lucky. I understand that other folks have had different experiences.

Mark says someone else makes it. I'd wager on Vulfix.

Interesting, you may be right. I'm probably citing some conventional wisdom that I've picked up over the years. My understanding was the Vulflix provided the super and pure grades of T&H brushes and Rooney the silvertip grade. The handle shapes in the photos seemed to confirm this, so really it's pure speculation on my part.

3 452
 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 01:39 AM)redrako Wrote: Interesting, you may be right. I'm probably citing some conventional wisdom that I've picked up over the years. My understanding was the Vulflix provided the super and pure grades of T&H brushes and Rooney the silvertip grade. The handle shapes in the photos seemed to confirm this, so really it's pure speculation on my part.

Just going to use logic here, but if Vulfix provides 2/3 grades, would it not make sense to stick with Vulfix for the silvertip grade?

As a vendor it would have several advantages. Assuming the manufacturer could provide what you want. Lower cost. You know who you are dealing with. History of the relationship. Etc.

Again, I don't know 100%, but I have it from a very good source.

9 2,988
 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
I began using boars, then tried a badger. OK, now I use both and have more badgers than I have boars. But I don't match up any particular brush with any particular soap or cream. Maybe I'm weird, but so far I find that a good brush does a great job with any decent product.

32 6,309
 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
  • Rod_Neep
  • Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
It is a fact of life that a softer brush with a slightly higher loft will tend to produce a much creamier lather when the lather is created in a bowl. There is, however, a great following for lower loft brushes with a stiffer backbone for face lathering.

I must admit that I really do prefer a softer brush and bowl lathering, but it is not everyone's taste. For me, the object of the exercise is to create a super creamy lather that will :
a) lubricate better when shaving.
b) hold the moisture against the skin better.

Rod

2 42
 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM
User Info
I just received my Truefitt & Hill 3/2 silvertip. I have owned a number of Vulfixes and Rooneys and based primarily on the high knot density, as well as the shape of the knot, I'm guessing it's a Rooney.

66 692
 03-01-2013, 10:26 PM
User Info
(10-08-2012, 04:33 AM)vocalistbob Wrote: I just received my Truefitt & Hill 3/2 silvertip. I have owned a number of Vulfixes and Rooneys and based primarily on the high knot density, as well as the shape of the knot, I'm guessing it's a Rooney.

How soft do you say the tips were on this T&H brush? Compered to others you have tried?

5 413
 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
User Info
I actually sold that brush and recently replaced it with a Truefitt & Hill Style 1 in Large. The tips are just about the softest I have encountered - Kimson's are a tad ofter, but not by much, and the T & H has higher density.

66 692