07-08-2021, 04:54 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I thought I'd try a boar brush, since all I've ever used is badger.  So I picked up a Semogue 1438, mostly because I liked the look of it.  The paint job was cool.  Kinda reminded me of a 1955 Chevy Bel Air hardtop with two-tone paint.  The Semogue had a 21mm knot with 50mm loft -- about the same size as my favorite badger brush.  I cracked open a tub of TOBS and "had at it" like I  always did with my badger brush.  I added water, but it looked over-watered, so I added more product, then stirred and whipped for an eternity, but I could NOT manage to get any decent lather.  I added more water and elbow grease, but no luck.  Now short on time, I had to use what I'd made and called it good.  Lousy shave.  After work tonight I tried again, not planning to shave, but determined to make this darned brush work!  Same result.  I could NOT get this doggone brush to make me any lather!  Since I'd wasted the product anyway, I figure I'd go ahead and keep adding water, just as an experiment.  I added more water than seemed reasonable.  Meh.  I added even more.  Meh.  Frustrated, I decided to FLOOD it!   I was ready to wash it all down the drain anyway, so what did I have to lose?  I overloaded it with water... and whipped away like Martha Stewart making a lemon meringue.  Unexpectedly, it started generating copious amounts of foam!  Wonderful peaks and valleys!  I kept whipping it up and it kept generating more and more foam!  I couldn't stop it; it filled the room and drowned me!  Ok, I made that last sentence up.  But it DID generate an impressive amount of awesome lather after I added WAAAAY to much water.  I would have taken some pics, but I was too busy jumping up and down with giddy joy.  I cracked the code!  Use more water than anyone would *ever* think is necessary, and the boar brush works like magic!  Who knew???  (Probably everyone in the Nook but me.)  Live and learn.  I expect I'll get a better shave with it tomorrow.  Looking forward to Shave #2 with my '55 Bel Air... er... I mean my two-tone Semogue 1438.
- Slow Learner Bax

0 328
 07-08-2021, 06:03 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Glad you got it to work for you.  All about experimenting to see what clicks. 

Just dry those nice painted wooden handles when you're done and you're good to go. 

I have a 1305 that is now (after many uses) comparable to badger in softness when wet, but the backbone really lets it excel in bowls.
Similar in price to yours, the investment is in the time to break in the knot.

Boar needs more soak time than badger before starting, gets softer with use, and the tips will eventually split. 

I remember watching an interview with an old Italian barber years ago.  He said 'The brush you want is the one made from the hair of the pig'. 
Always kept me coming back to boars even as I built a stable of badgers.

18 220
 07-08-2021, 06:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’m re-exploring boar brushes for the first time in a few years. Agreed, they seem to need way more water than badger to generate equal amounts of lather. But,, my brushes aren’t fully broken in yet, so that may change. We shall see. I’m also seeing that the boar bristle seem to soak up lather, to the point where I’ve had to reload for the second pass if I didn’t load heavily enough the first time. Have fun Bax!

19 5,472
 07-11-2021, 06:04 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
A new boar brush will not hold much water. a broken in boar will not hold much water when compared to a badger. a ridiculous amount of water is still a relative term. was it 10 drops, an ounce, a quart of water? 

actually, I haven't used an animal hair brush much since Xmas 2020 when I gifted myself a Simpson Trafalgar T3. for me the T3 easily creates a bowl full of lather first time every time, doesn't shed at all, dries in a few hours, costs under US$30, and looks like a Simpson.

if it matters, no animals were killed so that I can whip up a lather.

0 553
 07-11-2021, 11:34 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I'm torn on the relative "goodness" of each type of brush.  Badger hair pretty much all comes from China now.  Boar hair seems like it's not "cruel" because they are an invasive species and we eat them anyway, although I really don't know what boar hair gets used for brushes... does it come from the criminal animals that need to be eradicated because of the damage they're doing to farms and other wildlife, are they innocent livestock raised for that purpose then murdered for their hair when it grows long enough, or are they hunted down in their peaceful little hog villages where they're not hurting anybody... and slaughtered while having tea with the hogs next door?  I have no idea.  And synthetic brushes are made with petroleum products (a non-renewable resource that generates massive pollution in the manufacturing process, typically from factories in 3rd world nations where human rights violations abound).  So which is best, least harmful to the environment, and doesn't support inhumane Commie regimes?  I think I'll look into horse hair brushes.  Maybe I could even find someone who'd take mane and tail clippings from OUR OWN horses and turn them into shaving brushes for me.  That'd be kinda cool.
- Bax

0 328
 07-11-2021, 12:51 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
I'll probably get in trouble for this but I did my own research concerning sources for hair used in shave brushes.  Here's the real story I found.

Badger and Boar hair are used for shave brushes.  However, unlike what has been blown out of proportion by PETA and other groups, badger is considered a food source in some places around the world.  Fact is, many countries who eat badger also have feed lots for them just like they do for beef and pork.  Meat is eaten, skins are used in clothing, hair is used in shave brushes, etc. just like they do with beef and pork.  Some badgers are taken from the wild as they are considered a nuisance to farmers just like feral hogs.  Many news stories will not tell you the whole story - only the part they want to exploit.  Sound familiar?

Horse hair is also used for shave brushes and yes it can be taken from the animal without killing them.  Horse hair used to be quite popular for shaving brushes but hasn't been used much for about 100 years due to an anthrax scare around World War 1.  They are now becoming quite popular again.

Now if someone doesn't want to use badger or boar shave brushes because the hair is harvested I feel that is their right to decide.  Personally, thinking of how much I like pork chops, leather wallets, glue, etc., I'm going back to using my badger shave brushes.

Just had a thought!  If you don't want to use your old badger brushes any more just send them to me.   Angel

0 130
 07-11-2021, 02:57 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I've got badger and boar. Still need to try horse and synthetic. Who knows? Maybe I'll like one of those better! That's one good thing about being a newbie... everything is still exciting! :-)
- Bax

0 328