07-09-2021, 07:25 PM
User Info
I think I have a unique 1960 Fat Boy.  The two sides have DIFFERENT gaps.  Set on #9, for example, the side with the setting indicator above the little number has a gap of .032.  The "blank" side has a gap of .035.  On setting #8, the "notch" side has a gap of .030 and the "blank" side has a gap of .032.  In other words, one side of the razor on 9 is like the other side of the razor on 8!  Weird!  

Then it dawned on me: maybe it's a unique prototype of the incredibly rare (and undocumented) Dual Aggressiveness Fat Boy model!  Maybe it went home surreptitiously stowed away in a Gillette factory worker's lunchbox!  Imagine the possibilities!  Maybe it's worth MILLIONS as a collectible one-of-a-kind!  Either that, or one of my safety bars got bent when some chucklehead doofus dropped it sometime over the last 60 years. I like the ridiculous fantasy provenance of an experimental razor better than the more likely dropped razor theory; because it's more whimsical and fun.  ;-)

I don't think I'll try to realign it.  I'll just go ahead and shave with it on the milder of the two sides, and if I want a little "more blade" to take down a trouble area, I'll spin it around and use the more aggressive side.  That's even quicker than loosening the missile doors, resetting the adjustment knob, and tightening the missile doors again.  This might be a great razor for a lazy guy like me (so long as I don't forget which side is more aggressive and which is less aggressive.  The difference is pretty minimal anyway, so this technical difference might not make much difference in practice.  We'll see.

Does anyone else have one of these incredibly rare Dual Aggressiveness Fat Boy models?  There may even be some examples of the rare and highly sought-after Dual Aggressiveness Slims out there, too!   Did you re-bend the safety bar, use it as-is, or retire it?

- Bax

P.S.  Fat Boy is supposed to range from .022 to .045.  Mine ranges from .010 to .035.  Maybe BOTH of my safety bars are bent!

0 173
 07-10-2021, 03:45 AM
User Info
You are a character and always humorous to read your posts.  Biggrin 

You always check the blade gap of a razor at setting 1.  Unfortunately checking several charts for blade gaps on the Fatboy will get you several answers such as 0.011", 0.015", and 0.022".  I would go with a blade gap of 0.015" as this the same as the Slim and would be more mild than the 0.022" I found.  Also, the Fatboy is reported by "expert users" to be a tad milder than the Slim but I think it is due to the difference in head geometry not blade gap.  I also think the Fatboy is a bit milder than the Slim for this reason.

I sent my Fatboy in to Razor Emporium for a tune-up due to needing mechanical repair also.  Part of this service included resetting the blade gap to 0.015" at setting 1 per their website.  There are other vendors available and some are slightly cheaper too.

0 71
 07-10-2021, 05:41 AM
User Info
Great INTEL, Chappy! I didn't realize there were multiple blade gap charts that all gave different measurements! I just surfed until I found one, then quit looking. I figured they wouldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't accurate! Who knew?!? Thanks for the reply!
- Bax

0 173