07-13-2021, 09:42 AM
User Info
Here's a pic of a Gillette razor case.  
It struck me as odd that this case contains a Super-Speed. 
I thought that case was used for Flare Tips.  Wrong razor in the case, perhaps? 
Anyone got a legit Super-Speed in a case like this? 
Does anyone know of a "Gillette Case" resource out there (my Old Guy Googles didn't come up with anything useful)?  
Perhaps there is a Vintage Gillette Case Expert here in the Shave Nook?

[Image: oK3zCIu.jpg]
Thx,
- Bax

0 173
 07-13-2021, 02:13 PM
User Info
Mr Razor have a couple of photos of that style of box with Super Speeds in them. I trust him as a source, so the style of case was most likely used.

Also; isn't the Flare Tip "just" a variation of the Super Speed, just like the TV Special?

3 7,560
 07-13-2021, 05:06 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I see the razor Bax posted as a 48 or 49 no date code SS https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi...-Speed.JPG - their cases were different, the holy white case pictured goes with a much later model razor, as Hans has posted

82 797
 07-13-2021, 05:45 PM
User Info
That's what I thought, too, Gary! I have a 48ish no date Super-Speed and it's original Red box. So I figured this razor probably doesn't belong to this white box. Unless they did something goofy at Christmas one year. I don't know if the super speeds and flare tips overlapped in production. If they did, then they probably stuffed any razor they had coming off the line into the white case at the time. I'll have to verify whether there is a date code on this razor... when it arrives.
:-)
-Bax

0 173
 07-14-2021, 05:30 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've been under  the impression that a Flare Tip was a subset of the Super Speed -

82 797
 07-14-2021, 06:26 AM
User Info
Look what I found!
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=30004
...with thanks to Alexander for posting it back in 2015!

The Super-Speed (40s style like was shown in the pic) overlapped with the Flare Tip for a year (1954).  So if that specific case (photo in the original post) was used in the 1967-1968 timeframe (per Weiganwarrior's research), and the 40's SS was long out-of-production, then it's pretty clear that the venerable Super-Speed (40s style) in the pic is in the wrong case.  The case would have held a Black Beauty or Knack. (I had to look up what a "knack" was... a tapered, long, black handle.)  So this '40s SS is packaged in a MUCH later box.

Mystery solved!

Thank you, gentlemen!
  :-)
- Bax

0 173