07-17-2021, 05:54 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Don’t you just love our hobby?

Don’t you just love hearing hobbyists discuss and debate their hobbies?

A friend of mine just retired, and proudly showed off his retirement gift to himself. A Leica Q2 Mono camera. It only takes pictures in black & white. No colour. (something about the special sensor) He explained that he’s a purest, and a true artiste (OK, my word, not his) and “obviously has no interest in colour photography.“ He said he’s been waiting for this moment for years.

A buddy is a watch collector. He has at close to 2 dozen by my count. And, not one of them is self-winding. They’re all mechanical. He wouldn’t consider having one of those “silly automatic watches.” He winds them by hand.

Another buddy is also a watch collector. All of his watches are automatic as far as I know. And, he has 3 great big automatic watch winding machines that each holds many watches. They’re things with motors that simulate your wrist movement and keep the timepieces running correctly. All the watches are set to UTC (Universal Time Co-ordinated), and he checks their accuracy every Saturday morning.

I have quite a few fountain pens. I don’t think I own a ballpoint. I only write with fountain pens. And, I have at least half a dozen bottles of different inks.

My dad only wrote with soft lead pencils. Had many boxes of them on hand at all times so he didn't run out. He wouldn’t touch a hard lead pencil. Had to be 3B, 4B or 5B as I recall.

Now, there’s OUR hobby. Wet shaving. Hey, think back about some of the passionate debates we’re had about (what we consider to be) monumental matters. No need for specifics here, I bet you can recall a few of them.

During our working hours, we usually have to deal with fairly serious matters. We usually have to be accountable, and efficient. Well, the word efficient doesn’t enter my mind when it comes to shaving. I’m as inefficient as I can be. I take 15, 20, sometimes 25 minutes to shave. I do stuff that I probably don’t need to do—like witch hazel before my AF, hot towels— just because I enjoy it. And, I don’t require any other reason other than I enjoy it. I am not accountable for what I do and how I do it. (well, I am sort-of accountable for another matter, I believe the symbol is $, but’s that’s another conversation.)

There’s nothing quite like a hobby.

1 701
 07-17-2021, 06:26 AM
User Info
If there is a spectrum that runs from Neanderthal to Elite Gentleman, I'm on the end that uses sticks to build fires and I eat raw meat with my hands.  Adopting a sudden interest in old Gillette razors and the whole "wet shaving" routine has my wife utterly baffled.  ("Sandalwood, lavender, vetiver, and odd tubes of scented creams with labels in Italian?  Pre-shave oils?  After-shave?  WHO ARE YOU???)  But she is thrilled that my manly, square jaw is smooth as a baby's butt every day and she's not nagging me to shave any more.  Not sure I'm going to tell any of my knuckle-dragging friends that another fun vintage Gillette arrived in the mail and I'm happy as a wiggly puppy to try it out... or that I'm eager for my new razor blades to arrive (made in Russia, India, and Turkey)... or that I just ordered some refreshing aftershave splash in a couple of exciting new scents...  

Shhh!  Don't tell anybody that I've become an old razor fan and a closet gentleman with this crazy new hobby!  I'd be thrown out of the Cave Man Club!  Ugh.  Me go make fire now. 
- Neanderthal Bax

0 173
 07-17-2021, 06:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great post David! It is an interesting hobby and one that is nearly impossible to explain to the uninitiated.

54 22,023
 07-17-2021, 07:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-17-2021, 06:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Great post David! It is an interesting hobby and one that is nearly impossible to explain to the uninitiated.

True. The Uninitiated in any hobby don’t get the why of it. If you think about it, perhaps the hobbyist, regardless of hobby, is also on some level unable to put the allure into words. Often we can; we try and often succeed with linguistic expression, but the gestalt of it may be like ground water. It just kind of seeps in.

19 5,217
 07-17-2021, 03:41 PM
User Info
Great Post but shaving isn’t a hobby!  It’s deadly serious and the very thing that holds the fabric of society together.  Ah, never mind.  It’s a hobby……and I enjoy it.  (Triple milled is my black and white).

6 577