07-18-2021, 10:18 AM
User Info
I recently decided to shave with Mystic Water. Once again, I was amazed at the quality of the soap and its effect on my skin. Mystic Water very confidently pushed my favorite company from such soaps as: Sebum, GD, T&S, ETHOS.

What do YOU think of using Mystic Water today and comparing it to other premium soaps?

P.S. I may well be biased. I like MW.

P.P.S. and I like Sebum, GD, T&S, ETHOS )

5 200
 07-18-2021, 11:26 AM
User Info
Mystic Water is not a premium soap in price, but it can be a premium soap in performance.  Some guys have issues lathering it in hard water, but if you don't have that problem it's an excellent soap.  

I also like that Michelle has been making shaving soap since long before everyone and their cousin started doing it.  Mystic Water doesn't get the hype of the "latest and greatest" fad soaps of the moment, but it has survived the test of time.

60 11,096
 07-18-2021, 11:48 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-18-2021, 11:26 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Mystic Water is not a premium soap in price, but it can be a premium soap in performance.  Some guys have issues lathering it in hard water, but if you don't have that problem it's an excellent soap.  

I also like that Michelle has been making shaving soap since long before everyone and their cousin started doing it.  Mystic Water doesn't get the hype of the "latest and greatest" fad soaps of the moment, but it has survived the test of time.

Signs011

19 5,217
 07-18-2021, 04:26 PM
User Info
I took a few years off from wet shaving and after coming back I went through all my soaps and creams. I had to throw out some creams and most soaps lost their scent except my Mystic Water soaps. I was impressed.

0 31
 07-18-2021, 07:23 PM
User Info
It’s a premium soap in my estimation.  Great stuff

6 577
 07-18-2021, 08:57 PM
User Info
I'm not a fan of Mystic Waters shave soaps. There are many other artisans who's base I prefer more (Gentlemans Nod, CRSW, Noble Otter,e tc) and of the scents I have tried from MW they've been very artificial/synthetic smelling.

1 42
 07-18-2021, 09:09 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I’m not a fan of the product, the artisan is a lovely person. I’ve tried three samples, two made me tingle, none lathered very well and I’ve been at this ten years.

If she made a brick of ABC, I’d be all over it.

9 866
 07-18-2021, 11:30 PM
User Info
Mystic water is different to work than many other soaps. Generally the best way for me is to not come at it with much water at first. But just work up in the bowl the little water in the brush and the soap I've loaded up.

I work that for a while in the bowl until it's well blended, not adding more water until then. Then just add water slowly and you're good.

I think too many people have pushed water into it too quickly and ended up with something that is very inferior. And so they end up with the wrong impression about it.

But I get lathers that are amazing in sickness and creaminess.

I think using the term "premium" puts the focus on price, and so I don't really use that. I mostly say "top tier" , with a focus on performance.

I've definitely seen expensive soaps that don't perform nearly as well as the value-priced Stirling!

Anyway, in terms of performance, I say that mystic water competes with pretty much the top out there. There may be some more soaps with a more moisturizing element to them, as is popular lately, but I kind of disregard that and focus on the performance in terms of the sickness and protection that the soap offers ... and the luxurious/creamy feel.

I bought 8 or so samples from her, and the only gripe I had is that the scents were on the lighter side in strength.

Very underrated base imo.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

0 35
 07-19-2021, 05:06 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good post @sgrddy

19 5,217
 07-19-2021, 06:02 AM
User Info
On YouTube there is a useful video by Justin called "How I Lather Mystic Waters Shaving Soap."  Those who have issues lathering Mystic Water may want to take a look at the video.

60 11,096
 07-19-2021, 08:13 AM
User Info
"...the only gripe I had is that the scents were on the lighter side in strength."

That sounds GREAT!  My biggest gripe about shaving products in general is that they are all far TOO STRONG and the smell seems to linger far too long as well.  Often I've gone back an hour after shaving just to wash the smell off of my face (sometimes it takes a few additional scrubs to make it go away); that's the least fun part of wet shaving.  And my bride wrinkles her cute little button nose with almost every scented wet shaving product I've tried.  Most of it makes me smell like a cowboy who just came out of a local cathouse... all day long!  If this Mystic Water soap is light on fragrance, I'm going to order some samples right away!  It might be the answer to the "cowboy and the cathouse" smell.  ;-)
- Bax

0 173
 07-19-2021, 09:20 AM
  • Nero
User Info
The scents never did it for me. I once ordered 20+ samples. They all smelled too sweet for my liking.

99 4,193
 07-19-2021, 05:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-19-2021, 09:20 AM)Nero Wrote: The scents never did it for me. I once ordered 20+ samples. They all smelled too sweet for my liking.

I tried two or three scents. Sweet is a good adjective. To be fair, Michelle’s unscented is top notch!

19 5,217
 07-19-2021, 06:11 PM
User Info
Maybe Michelle is trying to get you curmudgeons to sweeten up!
   Sisi1 
- Wise Guy Bax

0 173
 07-19-2021, 06:17 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(07-19-2021, 06:11 PM)Bax Wrote: Maybe Michelle is trying to get you curmudgeons to sweeten up!
   Sisi1 
- Wise Guy Bax

Ouch!  I'm too often grouchy, occasionally cantankerous, even difficult, but seldom ill-tempered.  Does that make me "kinda curmudgeonly?"  ?

69 2,020
 07-19-2021, 07:28 PM
User Info
I started using Mystic Water years and years ago and when you get the loading and lathering right, it is a top notch soap. I just never get consistent lather or results and I think that the formula makes it harder to lather for someone first starting. As mentioned before, you have to start with less water and incorporate slowly while loading and lathering. Although I know how to do it, it never has been a soap I can get consistent results with. I still enjoy using it here and there but it isn't my favorite to lather. I think the fact that you have to start with a drier brush makes me a bit iffy as I think it's a bit hard on natural hair brushes. I do enjoy many of Michelle's scents and use lots of her products outside of the shave soaps.

87 1,818
 07-19-2021, 07:33 PM
User Info
(07-19-2021, 09:20 AM)Nero Wrote: The scents never did it for me. I once ordered 20+ samples. They all smelled too sweet for my liking.
This^

I think i have tried most all of her scents. I love only 4:
Bay Rum
Marrakesh
Frankenscence & Myrhh
White Tea & Ginger

Great post - hydrate very slowly - load heavy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0 518
 07-20-2021, 05:01 AM
User Info
(07-19-2021, 06:17 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 06:11 PM)Bax Wrote: Maybe Michelle is trying to get you curmudgeons to sweeten up!
   Sisi1 
- Wise Guy Bax

Ouch!  I'm too often grouchy, occasionally cantankerous, even difficult, but seldom ill-tempered.  Does that make me "kinda curmudgeonly?"  ?

Gee, I dunno.  I thought a curmudgeon was a muffin, scone or biscotti... something that'd go well with coffee or tea.  Guess I shoulda looked it up before using it...
  :-)
- Bax

0 173
 07-21-2021, 10:30 AM
User Info
Six samples of shaving soap from Mystic arrived just a couple of minutes ago!   :-)
And I just finished shaving a half hour ago!  :-(
I'm eager to try one tomorrow.  
C'mon... grow whiskers... GROW!!!
- Bax

0 173
 07-21-2021, 07:11 PM
User Info
I’ve tried a few Mystic Water samples and like them a lot. I’m still looking for a scent that I really like.

0 68