10-06-2012, 02:22 AM
User Info
Shaving time is - at least to me - a quiet, reflective moment. It's me-time; the time when I can close the door and just enjoy myself without a worry in the world. It's also a very manly time; if by manly you mean "waving a very sharp blade around millimeters from your jugular veins"... heck, spin that right and it sounds like you're cheating death every time you shave.

On a more serious tone, it is the time each morning I can 'let go' of everyday worries and simply enjoy the 'now' - a perfect moment caught between lather and blade as it were. It's a moment that flushes the system, in a manner of speaking, and lets me put things in perspective. I think that traditional wetshaving have helped making me a better man, as well as a better looking man.

I'm far from the first to notice this off course; a quick search on google will reveal a few hundred thousand hits on the subject. But even so it's something worth keeping in mind, especially when the cartridge-and-canned-goo brigade wonders why we prefers the old fashioned, traditional art of wetshaving.

Forget the 'better shave' spiel; they have heard it a million times before - every time one of the huge multinationals adds another blade they promise the consumers a better shave than ever before.

Forget the whole 'saving money' thing too; most of us succumbs to one or more ADs shortly after we pick up a decent brush and a safety razor.

You might want to quickly bypass the 'better for the enviroment' issue as well; yes, traditional shaving is greener and wastes less plastic, but most people honestly don't care as much about the environment as they claim to do.

But do tell them about that perfect moment caught between lather and blade - those precious minutes every time you shave that lets your worries and concerns simply drain away. The little breathing space where it's you, your razor and perfection.

3 3,580
 10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hans, very well written and my thoughts exactly.

I've had several folks ask me about my hobby and I laugh. I tell them it's not a hobby, it's a way of life, and has been for over 50 years.

173 23,548
 10-06-2012, 04:59 AM
User Info
Superb! Excellent points, and definitely the biggest reason that I enjoy this so much as I do. Namaste! Cool

2 362
 10-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
This is a great post. Wet Shaving has made the most mundane hated task something I look forward to every single day now. Imagine if other AD's could make cleaning the toilet fun or make vaccuming or washing the dishes fun. Can you imagine a Simpsons or Rooney Toilet or Dish Brush?

116 3,804
 10-06-2012, 05:51 AM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 02:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Shaving time is - at least to me - a quiet, reflective moment. It's me-time; the time when I can close the door and just enjoy myself without a worry in the world. It's also a very manly time; if by manly you mean "waving a very sharp blade around millimeters from your jugular veins"... heck, spin that right and it sounds like you're cheating death every time you shave.

On a more serious tone, it is the time each morning I can 'let go' of everyday worries and simply enjoy the 'now' - a perfect moment caught between lather and blade as it were. It's a moment that flushes the system, in a manner of speaking, and lets me put things in perspective. I think that traditional wetshaving have helped making me a better man, as well as a better looking man.

I'm far from the first to notice this off course; a quick search on google will reveal a few hundred thousand hits on the subject. But even so it's something worth keeping in mind, especially when the cartridge-and-canned-goo brigade wonders why we prefers the old fashioned, traditional art of wetshaving.

Forget the 'better shave' spiel; they have heard it a million times before - every time one of the huge multinationals adds another blade they promise the consumers a better shave than ever before.

Forget the whole 'saving money' thing too; most of us succumbs to one or more ADs shortly after we pick up a decent brush and a safety razor.

You might want to quickly bypass the 'better for the enviroment' issue as well; yes, traditional shaving is greener and wastes less plastic, but most people honestly don't care as much about the environment as they claim to do.

But do tell them about that perfect moment caught between lather and blade - those precious minutes every time you shave that lets your worries and concerns simply drain away. The little breathing space where it's you, your razor and perfection.

That's what it's all about. Ironically there's an article online called The Zen of Shaving that I randomly accessed and that was what led to my traditional wetshaving journey.

Your post captured my feelings yesterday morning during a leisurely shave before a hectic day. I walked out of the house feeling refreshed and confident.

0 282
 10-06-2012, 06:25 AM
User Info
Nice reminder. Even with wet shaving it's possible to rush. It's always good to remember what one of the biggest benefits to wet shaving is and to get back to taking that time to focus on something we do for ourselves.

0 98
 10-06-2012, 07:45 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Thank you Hans.

I often comment, "If you get a good shave in the morning, then the rest of day seems to go fine."

47 1,378
 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Hans, excellent write-up.
My sentiments exactly.
It is my time to tune out the world and enjoy a great shave.

1 3,507
 10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
User Info
Well said, Hans. The shave always is better, easier and more enjoyable, when I have that relaxed but concentrated focus.

184 12,003
 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
 10-06-2012, 11:47 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Well Said!!!

However, I do have a Bone to Pick with you.

I do not have any ADs. Never had one, Never will and I Don't see one coming.

How could anyone even get an AD is beyond me.

Now I may not have any more room for the 60 or 70 Straights that I have or the 20 or so SE Razors, or the 30 or 40 DEs and there are a couple of Schick Injectors somewhere. And I am not going to count the Travel Razors.

So what if I have 15 to 20 Shaving Creams most of them were Cheap I tell you and I am doing a rotation.

Yeah, I know I got 30 to 40 various Pucks of Soap but, those are a part of my plan of having a Hard Soap Rotation Plan one day.

Yeah, I do have 4 or 5 Shaving Sticks ... so what.

Shaving Brushes, I got a few ... Horse Hair, Boar, Badger and some mixed ones but, they are all different.

As for Razor Blades, Yeah I have a few of those too but, they do not count as they only last a couple of days and each one shaves a little differently.

1 819
 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
Off to home depot to buy locks for bathroom doors. No other way I can get zen lol

0 33
 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
User Info
Great write-up, Hans!

75 20,883
 10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
Thank you all, I'm glad y'all enjoyed my attempt at describing what shave-time means to me.

3 3,580
 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM
User Info
I totally know what you mean. It's exactly why I got into this hobby.

My other hobbies just took too much time and life changed. So this worked realt well as it just gives you that few minutes of 'me time'.

7 1,179
 10-07-2012, 04:31 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
On my third ever DE shave (2 months ago) I had that moment..... you totally forget about your worries, all you can hear is the satisfying sound of the razor clipping off your whiskers as you're lost in concentration and the moment. Since then, I have been struggling to find that moment again, I think my problem is two children, one who is only 3 months old, so free time to dedicate to myself is somewhat of a luxury! I've even tried playing some relaxing sounds/music while shaving, however my 3 month old son started crying, so that didn't really happen! Lol. I almost got it when I shaved with my new Muhle R89, Muhle Silvertip fibre and new bowls last week, but it wasn't quite the same, although was amazing and very relaxing. I think as I get more time back, this moment will come again!

0 26
 10-07-2012, 06:42 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
I completely agree. Having a standard routine I execute each morning is a wonderful oasis for me in an otherwise hectic day. Although I may not always achieve the "perfect" shave, having this constant ritual is more valuable to me than chasing perfection.

4 288
 10-07-2012, 06:57 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
I started wet shaving to speed up my morning routine, then discovered DE shaving and it's taking longer than ever! However, now I love the process rather than dread it, so don't care! Smile

0 26
 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 02:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: "That perfect moment caught between lather and blade,the little breathing space where it's you, your razor and perfection."

Outstanding-

Forgive me for the edit Hans,you said it all incredibly well in those few perfect words....

7 414
 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 07:45 AM)MaxP Wrote:
I often comment, "If you get a good shave in the morning, then the rest of day seems to go fine."

I like this quote. Starting your day with a bit of mindfulness or "zen" always is a wise thing to do.

Thanks for your post Hans. I've had a lot of similar thoughts - but not as well articulated as yours. I'm looking forward to shaving tomorrow morning.

0 95