07-20-2021, 07:22 AM
User Info
I got a Wolfman Guerrilla (and a ton of OTHER cool stuff) in an amazing PIF from Ianhoward (thanks, Ian!).  Last night onine, I read a BUNCH of stuff about this Guerrilla razor, with most people decrying how aggressive it was and how it'd shave off half of your head with the first stroke, and others calling it "too mild."  I didn't know what to think with all that conflicting information, so I approached my first shave with much trepidation.  I'd never used an Open Comb razor before.  Would that make a difference?  I'd soon find out.  

Today I gave the Guerilla a test drive.  I worked up a nice lather (Proraso white tube) and distributed it evenly across my ugly mug.  I dropped a Wilkinson Sword (India) blade, into the Guerrilla.  Oddly, the blade seated on the baseplate, not the cap.  Weird design, but ok.  Then I took a deep breath, and began...

The razor glided around my face like Santa's elves playing on a toboggan in a Winter wonderland!  Whee!  It felt like a nice, smooth shave.  I couldn't tell any difference between the OC and my traditional solid bar safety razors.  I confess I was VERY careful with this Guerrilla and didn't recklessly whip it around my face like I do sometimes with a Gillette Tech.  And when I got to the dangerous parts (under my nose, around my lips), I slowed down even MORE and paid attention to my blade angles.  Since I'm not as good at this DE Razor thing than the rest of you, I ended up "riding the cap" to (hopefully) avoid cutting myself too badly.  I used short, intentional strokes with the razor.  I took great care around my philtrum (a word I recently learned after starting this Wet Shaving thang).  My WTG pass (with XTC under my nose) was executed with no nicks, cuts, or owies of any kind.  Nice!

I re-lathered and did my 2nd pass.  This one was ATG on the sides and chin, with a touch-up XTG around my philtrum and upper lip. I was careful to avoid using any pressure, and relied on the razor to do the job.  This razor is beefier and heavier than my Slim, Tech, or Fat Boy.  It worked great!  After my 2-pass shave, I had a super-smooth shave that was BBS!  WOW!  Just 2 passes?  I was grinning from ear to ear like a chimpanzee (probably inspired by the punny gorilla wearing a beret that's engraved on the base plate of the razor).  I did a few gorilla grunts just to celebrate.

[Image: zTv62Ij.jpg]

None of the scary things happened.  I didn't die.  I didn't fillet my face.  I didn't cut my cute chin to pieces.  And I didn't have a shave that was "too mild," requiring multiple passes.  It was a huge success all the way around!  I was/am pretty impressed with this razor!  Very, very nice!

Then I splashed on a little bit of Cella aftershave, and I suddenly felt like that McCaulkin kid in the movie "Home Alone."
[Image: HyczYrt.jpg]

I guess my Baby Bottom smooth shave was closer than I thought!  HOLY COW my eyes popped open when I splashed on that Cella.  (It's an aftershave I use a lot -- I wasn't expecting THIS result!)  I think the Guerilla actually IS an aggressive razor and probably exfoliated a layer or two of my skin while I shaved, but I was being super-careful and didn't really notice it.  I had an awesome slick, protective Proraso lather that probably camouflaged the aggressiveness, too.  In retrospect, I guess it DID have a lot of blade feel... especially compared to my lazy-man's Gillette Tech razor.  Ok, maybe it WAS a pretty aggressive razor.  For me, anyway.

Charlie (1981Eagle) and I had a little PM discussion on aggressiveness and head design yesterday, and he's certainly right about all the factors that affect aggressiveness (he knows technical stuff).  Even though this Guerrilla only had a .027 gap (which is 0.6858 in the evil Metric System) that is similar to a 1960s Gillette Slim set on #5, it turned out to be much more aggressive due to the head geometry and blade exposure.  This was a fascinating educational experience!

Conclusion:  The Open Comb didn't seem to make any difference to me.  I didn't think it was aggressive at all until I splashed on some aftershave.  After-the-fact, I realized that it actually shaved closer than it felt.  The aggressiveness is certainly not a BAD thing.  I was pretty giddy with the performance of this razor, after all!  I don't think this will be an everyday razor for my sensitive (yet manly) jaw, but on those occasions when I really want a BBS shave and am ready for the Home Alone aftershave effect, this is the razor I'll take off the shelf.  You know... for weddings, parties, family get-togethers, hot dates with my sweetie, and that sort of thing.  A BBS in 2 passes?  That was incredibly impressive (to ME anyway)!  It'll be my special razor for special occasions.  Or for days when I just want to feel like a high-roller with an elite top-shelf razor.  ;-)  I'll surely experiment with less aggressive blades, just for fun, but it's a great tool for a BBS as it is!

This Wolfman Guerrilla is the king of my shaving shelf, and I'm thrilled to have such an awesome razor in my modest arsenal. 
(THANKS AGAIN, IAN!)

- Bax

0 174
 07-20-2021, 08:29 AM
User Info
Great review! I had a Guerrilla when they were first out- fit and finish were great but her blade loading was ‘reversed’ where the nubs were on the baseplate and not on the cap. I wasn’t a huge fan.

I think that blade gap is only one number in the ‘combination lock’ of getting a great shave. Important to be sure, but there is also blade angle, blade exposure, quality of your prep, and lather, pressure you apply, speed in which you shave, skin sensitivity, and hair coarseness ….. so that’s like a nine digit combination lock! Even the Lotto usually only has 6 numbers and it’s near impossible to win!

No wonder we all chase that perfect shave ….. sometimes ‘good enough’ needs to be ‘good enough’. Smile

Advice I give to anyone about shaving is this - “Even if you want to stick to cartridge-shaving … and don’t want to spend an hour in the bathroom with pre and post shave routines …. At least ditch the canned ‘goo’ and get a brush and quality cream or soap and that will make any razor you want to use feel much better.”

8 249
 07-20-2021, 10:10 AM
User Info
Nice review, Bax!

60 11,096
 07-20-2021, 12:59 PM
User Info
Great timing and a super review... I just bought one of these today. Big fan of the original WR1 OC but have never tried the infamous Guerrilla.

0 15
 07-20-2021, 01:10 PM
User Info
I'm happy for you!  I have a Guerrilla that does nothing for me.  I can do 4 passes with it, and I have stubble again that evening.

0 76
 07-20-2021, 01:22 PM
User Info
(07-20-2021, 01:10 PM)Mogaert Wrote: I have a Guerrilla that does nothing for me.  I can do 4 passes with it, and I have stubble again that evening.

Open comb or closed?

0 15
 07-20-2021, 01:48 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Nice review - makes me wish I'd held on to one or the other of mine.

82 797
 07-20-2021, 03:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good review, Bax. That’s a razor that seems to fly under the radar. Next shave with it will be fun!

19 5,217
 07-21-2021, 12:26 AM
User Info
Good review Bax, thank you. Definitely one to consider if I ever want another non-vintage razor Smile

3 7,561
 07-21-2021, 05:55 AM
User Info
(07-20-2021, 01:22 PM)Fedsbackhand Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 01:10 PM)Mogaert Wrote: I have a Guerrilla that does nothing for me.  I can do 4 passes with it, and I have stubble again that evening.

Open comb or closed?

Closed.

0 76
 07-21-2021, 08:40 AM
User Info
Thanks Mogaert. Well I got the OC so let's see when it arrives.

0 15
 07-21-2021, 10:02 AM
User Info
(07-21-2021, 08:40 AM)Fedsbackhand Wrote: Thanks Mogaert. Well I got the OC so let's see when it arrives.

Mine's OC... maybe that accounts for some of the "aggressiveness" difference.
Would be interesting to hear from someone who's tried BOTH for a comparison!
- Bax

0 174
 07-21-2021, 10:57 AM
User Info
Yes, I'm interested to hear this also. Reviews do suggest a mild shave but I prefer OCs generally so that's what I went for.

0 15
 07-21-2021, 06:46 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Nice review.  I enjoy your writing style.

0 487