07-22-2021, 07:29 AM
User Info
Good morning everyone

Just wanted to see what everyone usually does. As far as soaps go I usually take a little bit of soap out and put it in my shave bowl. Then I make my lather. If I were to load by brush or build my lather right on the actual shave bowl container. My question is do you need to let the soap dry out and leave the lid off the soap. Or is it OK just to dump out the water you can and put the lid back on the container.

Thanks Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 123
 07-22-2021, 07:35 AM
User Info
I load in the soap tub with a slightly dry brush, then build the lather in a shaving bowl. Some soaps I let dry, others experience tells me can be put away after I've finished shaving.

3 7,560
 07-22-2021, 07:58 AM
User Info
I always load in the soap container, and I don’t do anything special to dry out the soap afterwards.

36 2,221
 07-22-2021, 09:31 AM
User Info
(07-22-2021, 07:58 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I always load in the soap container, and I don’t do anything special to dry out the soap afterwards.

I'm with you, Mike.  I load in the bowl and never thought about drying out the soap before putting the lid on the container.  
Usually I load the brush and move to a bowl to later, but sometimes go straight from the bowl to my face and lather there.
Face lathering isn't as effective for me as the bowl, but it's fun sometimes, just for kicks.  
- Bax

0 173
 07-22-2021, 12:35 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Yep - no need to do anything special.  

Depending on how bad I get it, I may leave the lid off while I head out.  Some makers recommend that anyway - like MdC.
Mid-dry brush and face lathering with soaps, no bowl required.  But hey, whatever works. 

I learned with glycerin soaps which are supremely easy to work with this way, even as bad as I was then.

17 208
 07-22-2021, 12:51 PM
User Info
Thank you all for this great information. I think I will try and just load my brush then go straight to the shave bowl. Then I will put the lid on the soap and forget it.

Thanks Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 123
 07-22-2021, 02:15 PM
User Info
Here’s a video that could be helpful in showing how I load right on the puck. *Note - this is Merkur Man - a forum member, not me.

36 2,221
 07-22-2021, 05:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
When using triple milled soaps I load my brush for a good minute (or more if it’s been a while between uses, and the puck is really dry) adding more water at about the thirty second mark. When loading is completed I use my forefinger to wipe the inside of the container clean and put that on my right cheek. Then I work the lather on my face for another 3-4 minutes, adding more water as necessary while the occasional slap of the brush on my face adds air to the mixture. After the shave I rinse the soap bowl clean with a quick splash of cold water. A day or two uncovered and it’s either used again or tightly covered and returned to my soap drawer.

19 5,217
 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM
User Info
I face lather and always load the brush in the soap container.  After the shave I rinse the the soap and leave it uncovered until the next morning.

60 11,096
 07-22-2021, 06:49 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I load the brush in the container.  When done I usually face lather, sometimes bowl lather.  As for the soap container, I usually leave the lid off to dry overnight.  Although I don't see the need to do that.  In my travel kit, my shower soap goes right back into the soap box till the next time.  Sometimes sits there for a few years till it sees action again.  Never had a problem with mold or cooties with that.  No reason to believe there would be with shave soap either by capping it damp.

0 487