07-27-2021, 05:23 PM
User Info
I used to get as many shaves as I could from each DE blade.  After each shave, I would rinse and dry the blade, then set it aside for the next shave.   

About 10 years ago, I started using blades just once.  I've often questioned why we try to get as many shaves as possible from a single blade.  

Blades are so inexpensive that most of us don't have to use them more than once for economic reasons.  A blade will never be as sharp as it is during it's first shave, and I like having the sharpest possible blade for each shave.    I also like not having to deal with a used blade after each shave.

Why not just toss the blade after one use?

60 11,235
 07-27-2021, 05:59 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
With DE's, I gravitate these days to nos Schick Plus Platinums or( modern) Feathers.  For my beard the second or third shave seems better than the first (more so with the oldies) so binning them after the first go is wasteful .. but I no longer try to stretch them.  First sign of a tug and into the blade bank.

82 829
 07-27-2021, 06:01 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
The second and third use feel better to me.  I toss each blade after the 3rd use.  At this point, I only use Permasharps and Rapira stainless (blue and purple).

3 110
 07-27-2021, 06:13 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Some of these modern blades are useless to me after only one shave. I can stretch favorite blades a week if I like it though, Kai, Feather. That's having 3 shaves a week.

0 710
 07-27-2021, 07:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ricardo, life is too short to shave with a dull blade. And you’re right, they’re so inexpensive, I’ve essentially come to the same conclusion. With my favored blades, I find one and done works best with Lab Blues and Crystals. Med Preps and IPs will generally last for two shaves, but there are a few of those that do get tossed after one shave. I recently used a Polsilver. The first shave was OUTSTANDING. The second shave with the same blade was not. The same thing with happened with a GSB.

Sheesh! I may need to stock up Biggrin

19 5,473
 07-27-2021, 07:30 PM
User Info
At first I really did try to get the most shaves I could out of say, a .35¢ blade. Saving money. Like pennies, literally. I don't often do one and done unless I didn't like the blade or shave. For sometime now, I haven't gone past 3. While the concept of not handling a blade more than once should really be reason enough to toss it. My habits are always evolving so we will see. Even at .35¢ and one use, it is still hard to argue with the economics. Even shaving every other day and using a blade just once, it likely would not dwindle my current stock at any kind of alarming rate. I like to think of myself as "thrifty." Or just cheap. I'm a walking contradiction, really. I'll buy a $235 razor and then try to milk an extra nickel out of a blade.  Laughing1

5 733
 07-27-2021, 07:33 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Maybe it depends on the goofy coatings they put on some blades. It seems that once you wear the goofy coating off, the blade might actually get sharper. It might be a good experiment to try each blade four times and make a note of which shave was best. It might vary by blade manufacturer and model, depending on the coatings. Some blades might be "one and done," but others might be better after another shave or two. But what do I know? I'm a newbie.
- Bax

0 332
 07-27-2021, 08:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-27-2021, 07:33 PM)Bax Wrote: Maybe it depends on the goofy coatings they put on some blades. It seems that once you wear the goofy coating off, the blade might actually get sharper.  It might be a good experiment to try each blade four times and make a note of which shave was best. It might vary by blade manufacturer and model, depending on the coatings.  Some blades might be "one and done," but others might be better after another shave or two.  But what do I know? I'm a newbie.
- Bax

You should definitely do the experiment. Let me know if you need any test subjects.

19 5,473
 07-27-2021, 08:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-27-2021, 07:30 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: At first I really did try to get the most shaves I could out of say, a .35¢ blade. Saving money. Like pennies, literally. I don't often do one and done unless I didn't like the blade or shave. For sometime now, I haven't gone past 3. While the concept of not handling a blade more than once should really be reason enough to toss it. My habits are always evolving so we will see. Even at .35¢ and one use, it is still hard to argue with the economics. Even shaving every other day and using a blade just once, it likely would not dwindle my current stock at any kind of alarming rate. I like to think of myself as "thrifty." Or just cheap. I'm a walking contradiction, really. I'll buy a $235 razor and then try to milk an extra nickel out of a blade.  Laughing1

Pancarta

19 5,473
 07-27-2021, 08:31 PM
User Info
When I shaved with DEs - the second and third shaves were always the best. With Single Edge blades, more expensive and rigid than their DE counterparts, the shaves are consistent through shave #7 or so.

36 2,244
 07-27-2021, 08:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-27-2021, 05:59 PM)garyg Wrote: With DE's, I gravitate these days to nos Schick Plus Platinums or( modern) Feathers.  For my beard the second or third shave seems better than the first (more so with the oldies) so binning them after the first go is wasteful .. but I no longer try to stretch them.  First sign of a tug and into the blade bank.

Yes, this is my experience too. Many of the blades smooth out after the first shave and remain at their peak for a few shaves. Some blades (especially the artist club blades) remain at their peak for five to seven shaves. Feather DE blades (in my experience) tend to degrade much more quickly and dramatically than most other blades. I'm lucky to get two shaves out of a Feather blade.

54 22,071
 07-27-2021, 11:56 PM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
For me a single use is best, using more does not work well and causes a reaction and irritation.

0 380
 07-28-2021, 12:55 AM
User Info
I think for some it has risen to the level of a metagame; having fun by going outside the prescribed rules or limits.

I've used blades just once and thrown them out. I've tried to eek out as many shaves as possible. I've ended up changing double edged blades after a week of shaving and I'm happy with that. I've gotten rid of the blades that don't last that long, and if some of the blades could do more I'm only out pennies anyhow.

Injectors and GEM blades lasts longer though... two weeks or even three before I notice a difference.

3 7,650
 07-28-2021, 01:19 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
(07-28-2021, 12:55 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I think for some it has risen to the level of a metagame; having fun by going outside the prescribed rules or limits.

I've used blades just once and thrown them out. I've tried to eek out as many shaves as possible. I've ended up changing double edged blades after a week of shaving and I'm happy with that. I've gotten rid of the blades that don't last that long, and if some of the blades could do more I'm only out pennies anyhow.

Injectors and GEM blades lasts longer though... two weeks or even three before I notice a difference.

For me, with the GEM blades it only lasts one shave and I arrive very fair. It's a shame for me because they are expensive.

0 380
 07-28-2021, 06:41 AM
User Info
I have a very difficult time justifying tossing a perfectly good blade I've used only once just because it's "cheap."

I guess I wasn't raised that way.  Growing up, every penny mattered ("A penny saved is a penny earned" and all that).  I will still pick up a penny lying on the sidewalk if I find one.  Call me "cheap" but that's the way I was raised.

Yes, today I can "afford" to toss a $0.30 blade after just one use - but what I cannot understand - and maybe I'll never be able to understand, is why toss it if the second, third, fourth, fifth or more shave you get from one of those blades is just as good as the first?  I mean, if the second or third shave isn't as good as the first, I get why one might toss it - and I'll do just that for some of the brands I own (e.g. the Voshkods, Astras, and Merkurs out there). 

But I "treasure" my Polsilvers and make them last as long as practical.  Tossing a Polsilver after just one use is, imho, an insult - both to the blade and to my upbringing.

0 506
 07-28-2021, 04:06 PM
User Info
(07-27-2021, 07:30 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: At first I really did try to get the most shaves I could out of say, a .35¢ blade. Saving money. Like pennies, literally. I don't often do one and done unless I didn't like the blade or shave. For sometime now, I haven't gone past 3. While the concept of not handling a blade more than once should really be reason enough to toss it. My habits are always evolving so we will see. Even at .35¢ and one use, it is still hard to argue with the economics. Even shaving every other day and using a blade just once, it likely would not dwindle my current stock at any kind of alarming rate. I like to think of myself as "thrifty." Or just cheap. I'm a walking contradiction, really. I'll buy a $235 razor and then try to milk an extra nickel out of a blade.  Laughing1

Isn't it funny what we humans can convince ourselves to do, however illogical we agree it is.

0 186
 07-28-2021, 04:22 PM
User Info
(07-28-2021, 06:41 AM)Niemander Wrote: I have a very difficult time justifying tossing a perfectly good blade I've used only once just because it's "cheap."

I guess I wasn't raised that way.  Growing up, every penny mattered ("A penny saved is a penny earned" and all that).  I will still pick up a penny lying on the sidewalk if I find one.  Call me "cheap" but that's the way I was raised.

Yes, today I can "afford" to toss a $0.30 blade after just one use - but what I cannot understand - and maybe I'll never be able to understand, is why toss it if the second, third, fourth, fifth or more shave you get from one of those blades is just as good as the first?  I mean, if the second or third shave isn't as good as the first, I get why one might toss it - and I'll do just that for some of the brands I own (e.g. the Voshkods, Astras, and Merkurs out there). 

But I "treasure" my Polsilvers and make them last as long as practical.  Tossing a Polsilver after just one use is, imho, an insult - both to the blade and to my upbringing.

I also was raised to be frugal and to save pennies. Initially, following that mindset, I would use a blade for multiple shaves and ignore the consequences, coming up with excuses like my technique is bad, the lather was not good, this razor is too cheap, etc... Until I acknowledged to myself that many blades weren't even sharp enough for one shave for me. My 2 favourite blades (Polsilver SI and permasharp) last for only one shave. If I do a second shave, I get tugging, irritation and possibility of rashes, ingrown hair and other issues. Enduring these issues to save a few cents just does not make sense of me. 

I'm still frugal, but I am trying to change my definition of frugal to not include suffering as a part of being frugal.  

Another thing I realized was that I was buying all these razors, most of which I was never going to use regularly. So I ended up switching from RAD to BAD. Still not the best, but atleast the blades will get used. Eventually.

0 186
 07-28-2021, 07:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-28-2021, 04:22 PM)meshave Wrote: I also was raised to be frugal and to save pennies. Initially, following that mindset, I would use a blade for multiple shaves and ignore the consequences, coming up with excuses like my technique is bad, the lather was not good, this razor is too cheap, etc... Until I acknowledged to myself that many blades weren't even sharp enough for one shave for me. My 2 favourite blades (Polsilver SI and permasharp) last for only one shave. If I do a second shave, I get tugging, irritation and possibility of rashes, ingrown hair and other issues. Enduring these issues to save a few cents just does not make sense of me. 

I'm still frugal, but I am trying to change my definition of frugal to not include suffering as a part of being frugal.  

Another thing I realized was that I was buying all these razors, most of which I was never going to use regularly. So I ended up switching from RAD to BAD. Still not the best, but atleast the blades will get used. Eventually.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. So many good ideas and life lessons. This is my favorite: I'm still frugal, but I am trying to change my definition of frugal to not include suffering as a part of being frugal. Agree completely. I have learned that a fresh blade with each shave does wonders for reducing neck irritation.

19 5,473
 07-29-2021, 04:56 AM
User Info
Before the pandemic, I would periodically get a barber shave.  My barber does a lot of shaves, so he's highly experienced at it.  His razor is one of the shavettes which uses half a DE blade.  I noticed that he changed the blade between the first and second pass, and asked him why.  He said he wants the blade as sharp as possible, and that with some beards he can feel the blade degrading and tugging after just one pass.

Perhaps some of us who use blades only once are more likely to have tough beards, and want the sharpness of a new blade for every shave.

60 11,235
 07-29-2021, 05:39 AM
  • Bax
User Info
That makes sense.  Hmm... I grow NO whiskers on my neck... the beard line neatly follows my jawline, just under the curve.  I know a lot of folks have to do neck shaving, which might double the amount of wear and tear on a blade, so that probably helps with my "blade longevity."  Techs and SuperSpeeds do a fine job for me, so I probably don't have the wiry, tough, recalcitrant whiskers that some folks have to deal with.  Based on the Barber's Logic above, I can probably get a whole MONTH out of a blade!  I've been ditching the blade every 5-7 shaves, but maybe I can push it longer.  
Time for another experiment!
Gee, what a fun hobby*!
  :-)
- Bax

*ok, maybe trying to turn a daily mundane task into fun isn't exactly a "hobby" but if you're a SN member, you know what I mean...

0 332