07-28-2021, 04:38 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've always liked the Tech heads.  I had a Travel Razor with worthless aluminum stubby handle that was awful.  And I recently acquired a Parker 4-pc travel razor, but didn't like the head at all.  So I put a Gillette Travel Tech head on the 2-pc relatively heavy Parker handle... and now I like the razor a lot!  I like it because the weight of the Parker handle is a huge improvement and the Tech head geometry is superior to the Parker.  It says "Gillette" on the zamac cap, but it's really a Gillarker or maybe a Parkellette razor. "King C. Parker," maybe?  It's now become the Official Baxendale Family Travel Razor (I liked it so much, I'm putting together another one for my boy).  Here's a pic, complete with gorked up color balance thanks to fluorescent light; let's make believe I did it on purpose for artistic effect: 
[Image: TqBiv90.jpg]

What successful creations have YOU assembled from bits and pieces of different razors... and why do you like it?
Any razor where you've swapped parts would qualify.
Post pics!
- Bax

0 332
 08-01-2021, 05:45 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Am I the only one who's swapped parts to make a FrankenRazor?
Really?
Wow.  I must be cutting-edge!
Yay Me!
  :-)
- Bax

0 332
 08-01-2021, 06:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve been toying with this combination on and off for a while now. The head is from my Contract Tech and the handle is from my Canadian Tech. This is a case of the sum being greater than it’s parts. I  find that the handle provides better grip and balance than does the aluminum ball end handle. Shaves with this razor are always outstanding. I could get by with just this one razor if I had to. But I’m sure glad I don’t have to!
[Image: ZZoupnz.jpg]

19 5,473
 08-01-2021, 06:24 PM
User Info
Actually,  I've never put together a Frankenrazor.  I like all the parts of a razor to match.  Also, I'm not convinced I can get a better razor by combining parts.

60 11,235
 08-03-2021, 10:32 AM
User Info
I've replaced some of my split Old Type handles with handles from Fat Handle Techs. I like that handle with both heads from having used them for many years.

0 117
 08-03-2021, 10:51 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Nice!
It's convenient that they used the same thread size.
- Bax

0 332
 08-10-2021, 07:32 AM
User Info
I have a Timeless .95 scalloped head on a handle made by Stork.  Anaconda may be the name of the handle?  I really don't remember.

0 78
 08-10-2021, 08:00 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Waitaminute!  
You're in the midwest using metric?
What strange magic is this?  
[Image: fZ0Lz1x.jpg]
Hmm... that's about a 0.037 blade gap. 
Now I understand!
Holy Cow!   That's an aggressive razor!
Frankenrazors let you make what you want... which is why I like 'em!
- SAE Bax

0 332
 08-10-2021, 08:49 AM
User Info
I don't know if this counts as a Frankenrazor, but I'm putting together a couple pieces from Above The Tie. I got a polished Calypso handle, a standard polished cap, and a copper base plate. It's more or less to kind of mimic would they call the Mixed Metal Windsor. I already have the base plate, I'm just waiting for the handle and cap to arrive which so far should be arriving this week.

5 733
 08-19-2021, 11:51 PM
User Info
Don’t know if this counts……

My only FrankenRazor is an Edwin Jagger 316 head with a Mühle Rocca stainless steel handle.

Works great.

I find the EJ 316 handle in stainless steel a bit too thin. The Rocca handle is perfect in size for my hands.

25 7,054
 08-20-2021, 01:29 AM
User Info
Some years ago I combined the handle of my Yuma with the head of my Merkur 985CL to make the Franken-nought-four...
[Image: Franken0403.jpg]

The fact that I had all but forgotten about it until I saw this thread is a good indicator on how it shaved... not bad at all (according to old notes), but not enough of an improvement to keep using.

3 7,650
 08-28-2021, 03:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-10-2021, 08:00 AM)Bax Wrote: Waitaminute!  
You're in the midwest using metric?
What strange magic is this?  
[Image: fZ0Lz1x.jpg]
In point of fact, the Devil never has used the Metric System.  The Devil's tool is the Decimal System; the Devil's agent for imposing the Decimal Sytem was a 17th century Englishman, John Wilkins, who was the chief proponent of universalizing the Decimal System.  What pushed that over the line was a decree of Napoleon Bonaparte, then abrogating the title of Emperor, who adopted a bastardized system that he himself found unusable, and Napoleon un-decreed it in 1812, but the damage had been dome.  The Metric System is based on a faulty calculation of the distance from the North Pole to the Equator – a measurement that we all of course grasp by intuition – of which the meter was wrongly supposed to equal one ten-millionth, the natural fraction that every child knows from birth.  

The Romans, who has a fraction system based on 12, as well as many other Great Civilizations that preceded John Wilkins's birth, partially or completely adopted the duodecimal manner of counting, giving us units of time based on the number 12, and points on the compass that are multiples of 12.   See  Superiority of duodecimal (link)  

And everybody knows that hens lay eggs in multiples of six; so packaging eggs ten at a time results in left-over eggs as each package is filled, and causes the mother to see her children separated, the ultimate cruelty.  

1 1,487
 08-28-2021, 04:05 PM
User Info
I put an Above the Tie SE1 on a UFO grand titan L titanium handle. The original handle was a bit thin for me - and this makes it a joy to use. 

[Image: 4zmsEvG.jpg]

36 2,244