07-28-2021, 06:44 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Apparently nobody likes "canned goo."  But I noticed that Proraso makes a canned shaving cream, in the same Menthol variety that I use in both tub and tube!  So I ordered some.  Today I did a "face off" by putting the canned Proraso on one side of my face and tub Proraso on the other, just to compare the two.

Even though this is technically "Wockwell Wednesday" or "Wolfman Wednesday," I decided to forego the pre-ordained razor order and use my Gillette Heritage (Muhle 89) razor because I hadn't used it in a while and it was despondently sobbing in despair on the back of the razor shelf.  I figured I'd use it today, so it wouldn't feel unloved.  I loaded it up with a new Wilkinson Sword (India) blade, just because I have a bazillion of 'em, and they work well on my rugged, manly whiskers of doom.  

While I don't claim to be the best bowl-latherer on the planet, I've used the Proraso Tub enough to be used to it.  I whipped up a nice lather with my Semogue boar brush and applied it to the right side of my face.  I sprayed a handful of Canned lather and applied it to the left side of my face.  

The bowl-lathered Proraso from a tub gave me a nice, smooth shave from temple to jaw.  Very nice.  I flipped the razor over, giving a fresh edge for the canned goo side.  The canned Proraso gave me a nice, smooth shave from temple to jaw, too, but it felt thinner and less protective than the Tub side.  Compared to the Tub side, the Canned side felt sort of thin and sudsy, rather than protective... like there was too much air in there.  Which was odd, because the canned lather was visually much more exciting... it LOOKED great!  The canned lather just didn't FEEL like it was protecting my face as well as the visually less-impressive Tub side.  On the Tub side, my razor glided across my skin.  On the Canned side, it was like I had a lot more blade "feel" and it didn't feel like there was a protective layer of anything but faith and hope.  Those early impressions remained consistent around my lips, nose, philtrum, and chin.  (I said "philtrum" to make this an impressive, scientific, technical review.)  I ended up with a nice PKS (a venerable old acronym I just invented: "Peachy Keen Shave" which is like a DFS only it wouldn't offend my Mom with bad language).  They both worked fine, but the tub just FELT better.

[Image: WKEB4uV.jpg]
The canned Proraso had a lot more of a menthol effect, both scent and feel... it was really "in your face," so to speak.  (HA!  Shaving cream.  In your face.  HAHAHA!  Like Santa, sometimes I sleigh myself!)  The Tub's menthol was much less remarkable.  I used to think the menthol was strong from the tub, but compared to the can, the menthol impact from the tub lacked puissance.  (That means "power" in French, which is evidence of my International Man of Mystery experience, designed to imply worldly credibility and make my review even MORE impressive!) 

I concluded that the Tub Proraso created a superior shaving lather, however the canned Proraso was quicker, seemed to have more menthol, and it looked more luxurious.  If I ever wanted to impress someone with my incredible lathering skills, I could make lather-whipping noise, surreptitiously fill my lather bowl with canned Proraso and apply it with a brush.  I'd get an inferior shave, but it's sure LOOK awesome!
   :-)
- Bax

0 334
 07-28-2021, 08:10 AM
User Info
(07-28-2021, 06:44 AM)Bax Wrote: the Canned side felt sort of thin and sudsy, rather than protective... like there was too much air in there.  Which was odd, because the canned lather was visually much more exciting... it LOOKED great!  The canned lather just didn't FEEL like it was protecting my face as well as the visually less-impressive Tub side.  On the Tub side, my razor glided across my skin.  On the Canned side, it was like I had a lot more blade "feel" and it didn't feel like there was a protective layer of anything but faith and hope. 

The canned Proraso, despite including a trace amounts of some efficascious ingredients, does not produce shaving lather.

As the can says it is Tutte de Barba (shaving foam) not Sapone de Barba (shaving soap).  Like Barbasol it merely fake shaving lather that does "look great" but is overwhelming harsh chemicals that provide little or no lubrication and dry out facial skin.

0 80
 07-28-2021, 08:21 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I thought "tutte" (in Italian) meant "toot" (in English), so "Tutte de Barba" would be "The Flatulent Barber." 
I just thought it was a funny label.  Or described the gas coming out of the can with foam.
But I'm not bilingual.  I just guessed.
I suppose I'm not a very good guesser.

There wasn't much lubrication in that foam, though, that's for sure.
  :-)
- Bax

0 334
 07-28-2021, 03:53 PM
User Info
I have tried both and I'm not a fan of either. The canned puck is marginally better. The canned proraso is better than the other supermarket canned stuff, but it is canned goo nonetheless. I won't be buying either again.

0 186