Poll: Stick or Search
 07-29-2021, 12:55 PM
User Info
I've used a variety of different makers of razors ... Wolfman, ATT, Timeless, Rex Supply, Feather, Hone Shaving Type 15, and a bunch of vintage.

When I first got into traditional shaving I went through a bunch of blade sample packs.   I settled on two that I liked in most all my razors.   I like an Astra Green, and I like the Gillette Silver/Blue.   They aren't the 'sharpest' like a Feather or a Kai ... and it's not as 'smooth and forgiving' as some others ... but they are (for me) middle of the road and seem to work well on a variety of razors.

So - this question it to you if you are always chasing that perfect shave ... Once you go through your blade selection process and settle on a blade .... then you buy a new razor ... do you go through the process all over again to find a 'perfect' blade for the new razor?   Or do you stick with a blade that has been a 'previous favorite' and just trust that it is doing good enough and there's no need to go searching?

9 256
 07-29-2021, 01:45 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
When I first returned to wet shaving I tried a ton of different blades & razors, in a pretty haphazard fashion.  with the SE's, Injectors, GEM style or hair shaper AC blades there's not a whole lot of choice compared to the DE's, where there must be hundreds? of different blades available.  With the DE's I found the modern Feathers to work the best for me, no matter the razor.  I've since discovered vintage blades like the Schick Plus Platinum, Personna 74 or Gillette Spoilers .. 

But to the poll, I'll go with b.  I generally shave with a different razor every day, so a new razor gets whatever I have been using prior that's not worn out.  I'm just not up for tracking blades vis a vis particular razors

82 829
 07-29-2021, 04:03 PM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
He used the same ones.

0 380
 08-07-2021, 03:05 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
One of the things I found when I began using only vintage razors, even before I also went with vintage blades,  is it no longer mattered.  If a blade was good in one razor it was equally good in all. Same for bad blades.

9 2,901
 08-07-2021, 04:56 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-07-2021, 03:05 AM)Mouser Wrote: One of the things I found when I began using only vintage razors, even before I also went with vintage blades,  is it no longer mattered.  If a blade was good in one razor it was equally good in all. Same for bad blades.

Yes, this is pretty much my positIon. The blades I like and have stock on work for me regardless of the razor in which they’re used. That said, I’m finding lately that blades which I’d previously thought were ‘not for me’ actually are highly usable. My earlier dissatisfaction with them obviously stemmed from my own inexperience and reduced technique.

19 5,480
 08-07-2021, 06:18 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I carefully experiment with different blades to find the perfect match for each razor.  I've  been through many different blades in the quest to find the perfect blade for each razor.  Frankly, i'm having trouble identifying the BEST razor for any of them.  I keep a little notebook in my Nook to record results and best choices for each razor.  I've gone through a boatload of blades and have had a lot of crummy shaves.  Clearly the blade manufacturers have bad quality control, because when you fellows all identify a great blade here in the forum, it often doesn't work well for me.  Clearly it's the blade's fault -- not mine!  (A good carpenter always blames his tools.)  Perhaps my advanced inexperience and admirably poor technique might have something to do with it.  Heck, I can manage to get a crummy shave with about ANY blade/razor combination, without really trying!  (An achievement not often replicated among my brethren in the Shave Nook.)  Someday, perhaps I'll actually write something in that little notebook I keep... 
   :-)
- Bax

0 334
 08-07-2021, 06:21 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Agreed that one I found the blade of choice I keep going back to it. Have had several razors since dumping the carts and now with each shaver I pull out I faithfully load it and go without hesitation

0 711
 08-07-2021, 06:43 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(08-07-2021, 04:56 AM)chazt Wrote:
(08-07-2021, 03:05 AM)Mouser Wrote: One of the things I found when I began using only vintage razors, even before I also went with vintage blades,  is it no longer mattered.  If a blade was good in one razor it was equally good in all. Same for bad blades.

Yes, this is pretty much my positIon. The blades I like and have stock on work for me regardless of the razor in which they’re used. That said, I’m finding lately that blades which I’d previously thought were ‘not for me’ actually are highly usable. My earlier dissatisfaction with them obviously stemmed from my own inexperience and reduced technique.

I've found this is true for me also as I also take into account razor design which makes each razor shave differently.  I think I may notice this more easily because I shave with such mild razors but very sharp blades.  I even shim some of my vintage Gillettes to make them milder.

0 133
 08-07-2021, 11:11 AM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
I have two blades that I use regardless of the razor.  Rapira stainless and Perma sharp.  I use Rapiras if I'm having to shave every day and Permasharps for when I have more than 3 days growth.

3 110
 08-07-2021, 01:05 PM
User Info
Over many years I have tried about 40 different blades, and today primarily use Astra.  I find Astra works well for me across numerous razors.  If I have a new razor and I don't get a great shave with an Astra, the razor is not for me.  I don't go through multiple blades in an attempt to dial in a perfect blade for a particular razor.

60 11,238
 08-07-2021, 01:41 PM
User Info
(08-07-2021, 01:05 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Over many years I have tried about 40 different blades, and today primarily use Astra.  I find Astra works well for me across numerous razors.  If I have a new razor and I don't get a great shave with an Astra, the razor is not for me.  I don't go through multiple blades in an attempt to dial in a perfect blade for a particular razor.

The green Astra SP is the one blade so far I have had zero luck with. I used them in various razors and got nicked every time. I still have some, but just never use them.

5 733
 08-18-2021, 08:09 AM
User Info
I too have come to believe that if a blade is good in one razor then it is good in all of them with the caveat that the blade has to prove itself in an aggressive razor before I accept it as a good blade for me.  More aggressive razors reveal the "flaws" in a blade that milder razors just can't.  Early on I was fooled into thinking a blade was good because it performed in a Feather AS-D1 only to regret that surmisal when it was placed in an ATT H2.

0 17
 08-18-2021, 01:10 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-18-2021, 08:09 AM)adelphos1 Wrote: I too have come to believe that if a blade is good in one razor then it is good in all of them with the caveat that the blade has to prove itself in an aggressive razor before I accept it as a good blade for me.  More aggressive razors reveal the "flaws" in a blade that milder razors just can't.  Early on I was fooled into thinking a blade was good because it performed in a Feather AS-D1 only to regret that surmisal when it was placed in an ATT H2.

You make a good point

19 5,480