07-31-2021, 10:41 AM
User Info
I had purchased a plate to convex my stones after using a black ark that was purchased convex.  I watched Murray Carter's video sharpening and he stated you get much better results with leather on a solid base.  I decided to buy some balsa wood and convex it.  It is amazing how much better the edge is than conventional stropping.  I figured if I was getting great edges honing on a convex stone, it would make sense to finish the razor on leather on a solid convex surface.  Some observations:  I need only 10-15 laps to come close to 60+ on a conventional strop.  The edge stays flat on the convex surface so the results are much better.  The shave is absolutely better.  Lastly, its inexpensive.  I used easy to open and close clamps with rubber so it would not leave indentations on the leather

Attached Files Image(s)

10 187
 09-19-2021, 12:30 PM
User Info
    I replaced the clamps with magnetic sheeting on the balsa.  I have the sheeting on my SRD paddle strop so all I had to do was heat it up and peel it off.  I have the leather, diamond and chromium oxide pads so it makes it very easy to interchange pads.  The strop is 3 x 12 so there is plenty of room to lap even large razors.  I found using the chromium oxide 10 laps than 20 laps on leather gives an excellent edge with a very smooth shave.

10 187