07-31-2021, 10:54 AM
User Info
We have all experimented with different blades and different razors to find combinations that we like. I know that I have certain blades that I like to use in different razors that I've figured out over the last couple years. One thing I really have never done is take just one razor, one blade and done, using blades in succession as opposed to just trying different blades here and there over time. So, for my next 5 shaves, I am going to use my Blackbirds and 5 different blades. I'm going to try take notes and pay attention to how the shaves go and see which one seems best in the Blackbird. The five blades are as follows, in no particular order. I will likely just decide which one that day when I shave. These are my 5 current blades that I use most.

1. Gillette Nacet
2. Feather
3. PolSilver
4. Personna Lab Blue
5. Rapira

First shave should be tomorrow as my polished SS Blackbird arrived!!!

5 733
 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
You should add voskhod to the list if you have one. I’m loyal to Personna labs, but I really like voskhods with the blackbird.

3 742
 07-31-2021, 11:55 AM
User Info
(07-31-2021, 11:26 AM)DayMan Wrote: You should add voskhod to the list if you have one. I’m loyal to Personna labs, but I really like voskhods with the blackbird.

I do not have any Vokshods. They do seem to be well liked. I'm placing an order beginning of the week. If the site carries them, I will get some. I'm still new to the Labs.

5 733
 07-31-2021, 12:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Mike, I used my second, ever, Vodkhod today. I liked it better than the first one.

That and $8 will get you over the GW bridge.

19 5,474
 07-31-2021, 02:01 PM
User Info
(07-31-2021, 12:31 PM)chazt Wrote: Mike, I used my second, ever, Vodkhod today. I liked it better than the first one.

That and $8 will get you over the GW bridge.

I just saw your SOTD. They are one of the few blades right now I would like to try. Haha!!! Only $8? Man, I thought it had really gone up. To be honest, thus experiment is based on your one and done post. Just with the variation of using them in one razor and seeing if one screams “I’m the one!!!” Time will tell.

5 733
 08-01-2021, 11:39 PM
User Info
Well, thanks to the suggestion of DayMan and the generosity of fellow shaver chazt, this will extend to the 771 experiment. I will be adding a Vokshod and a Med Prep to this little experiment of mine. 7 shaves, 7 blades, one razor (different finishes, though.  Tongue).

5 733
 08-02-2021, 05:11 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I always use a Feather in my Feather.  

It's a super mild razor, and needs a super sharp blade for my beard.

Other than that, hmmm, I'm not sure what I like best in each razor.  Have to give this some thought.

1 715
 08-02-2021, 05:28 AM
User Info
(08-02-2021, 05:11 AM)David Wrote: I always use a Feather in my Feather.  

It's a super mild razor, and needs a super sharp blade for my beard.

Other than that, hmmm, I'm not sure what I like best in each razor.  Have to give this some thought.

I agree, that is my general go to with a Feather blade. I use it in my milder, maybe medium aggressive razors and get fantastic shaves with them.

5 733
 08-02-2021, 06:16 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
All packed and ready for the post office, Mike. I’ll get there this afternoon…

19 5,474
 08-02-2021, 06:37 AM
User Info
(08-02-2021, 06:16 AM)chazt Wrote: All packed and ready for the post office, Mike. I’ll get there this afternoon…

That's great, thanks so much!!!

5 733
 08-03-2021, 04:40 PM
User Info
Shave 1: Polished SS Blackbird w/ Gillette Nacet

OK, so I pretty much blew this experiment on the first try. I'm not hearing my own advice on a post I made, I did not check the handle to make sure it fits snug. I was experiencing some slight dragging and I couldn't understand why and I got a nick or two on the first pass. It never dawned on me to check during the shave, especially since this has happened before. I'll give my impressions, but I'm definitely gonna have to revisit this blade later on in the experiment to be more accurate.

Not surprisingly, the shave was good. I don't think I've ever really gotten a terrible shave or anything like that from a Nacet. But as I said, it felt off as I was shaving, now I know why. Otherwise, it did shave smoothly, efficiently, and the first pass did very well. It didn't feel aggressive at all. The end result was still a great shave, no irritation, no discomfort. It was nice and close, but was it like Wow! factor close, no it definitely wasn't. It was a good, close, consistent shave I would expect from a Nacet blade as one of my main go to blades. 

Now we try not to f*$k up shave #2

5 733
 08-06-2021, 12:43 PM
User Info
Shave 2: Polished SS Blackbird w/ Personna Med Prep

For starters, made sure everything was nice and tight. I think it is fair to say the Med Prep is definitely sharper the the Nacet. This shave had a little more feel, a little bit more bite to it, which I like. I don't need super aggressive  I just like to know I am shaving. I think it helps keep me aware as well. First pass was smooth and efficient as was the Nacet. Both blades performed well in that aspect. The Med Prep delivered a smooth, comfortable, BBS shave in 2 passes. I think in shave feel and closeness, it edges out the Nacet. So far, 2 great shaves. No argument there. More blades to go to see if there is that one blade that just jumps out. 

5 733
 08-06-2021, 02:06 PM
User Info
Shave 3: Polished SS Blackbird w/Vokshod

First off, so far this definitely feels like the sharpest of the three blades used so far. It definitely felt reasonably aggressive as I was shaving, and as I shaved on, I almost felt like I was getting slightly irritated, and had a feeling of heat coming off of my face. I was debating on keeping the blade to see how it performed after a few shaves after the initial sharpness has worn off. That said, post shave gave me no feedback from my splash at all. No burning, no irritation, very comfortable. 

After sitting here for a while, everything feels great. Occasionally, later on down the road, I might get some itching and irritation on my neck area. There is none. It's a very sensitive area for me. So far out of the three blades of you so far I'm definitely leaning towards the Vokshod. Definitely sharp, felt a bit on the aggressive side, but definitely has the most Wow! factor so far as the BBS is concerned. It was a very efficient blade. I would like to try the Vokshod after a few shaves and see how the blade and shave hold up. 

5 733
 08-06-2021, 03:12 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
This is very interesting, Mike. I will reserve my color commentary until you’ve completed the investigation. Shave on Smile

19 5,474
 08-06-2021, 04:39 PM
User Info
(08-06-2021, 03:12 PM)chazt Wrote: This is very interesting, Mike. I will reserve my color commentary until you’ve completed the investigation. Shave on Smile

I always welcome color commentary. I am big fan. Haha. I will do a bit of a summary at the end, and will likely follow up over time with some of the blades doing multiple shaves. Or not. You never know. But it is likely.

5 733
 08-09-2021, 11:39 AM
User Info
Shave 4: Polished SS Blackbird w/Feather

Ok. So this is the blade generally gives me that Wow! factor in pretty much every razor I've used it in. So I'm not even sure if that's fair to use it here, I have had that experience in just about every razor a Feather has been in for me. Anyway, I shave on.....

The Feather is definitely more aggressive than the other blades. The only exception being the Vokshod. The big difference is I feel, that the Feather is definitely more efficient, and being aggressive, didn't feel as aggressive as the Vokshod did. The Vokshod at points almost felt rough. I would write that off as just being the first shave with a new blade, but it was the first shave with the Feather also. I have to say so far the Feather has definitely given me the closest shave with the biggest Wow! factor of all the blades used so far. 2 passes, BBS close. No burning, no irritation, nothing. Just a very smooth, very efficient shave.

Next will be my Rapira Platinum Lux blade. The first time I shaved with one of those, I felt like it came close to giving me the Wow! factor that the Feather does. So it's gonna be nice to try it right after using a Feather blade and see how they compare. 

5 733
 08-09-2021, 06:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 08-10-2021, 01:16 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Following along and enjoying.  Please continue.   Icon_popcorn

0 132
 08-10-2021, 01:24 PM
User Info
(08-10-2021, 01:16 PM)Chappy Wrote: Following along and enjoying.  Please continue.   Icon_popcorn
Great! Thanks for following!!!

5 733
 08-20-2021, 06:25 AM
User Info
Sorry for the delay to anybody following and are showing interest in this thread. Been a little bit crazy and I haven't been shaving on the schedule, and I want to try to keep it as "scientific" it's possible. But I managed to finish up the experiment today. 

Shave 5: Polished SS Blackbird w/ Rapira Platinum Lux

I have to say, the first time I shaved with the Rapira, it really left me with an impression very similar to Feathers. I still feel that's the same way. The shave I got out of this was definitely BBS with only two passes. Everything was smooth, comfortable, and efficient. Just a few light touch ups. The Wow! factor for me is definitely high with his blade. I personally do feel this blade can be at least as good as a Feather. Maybe better? It depends on who you ask. But I definitely get great results from both.

Conclusion:

For this experiment as it is right now, the Rapira is definitely the winner for me. Of all the blades, it was definitely the smoothest, the most comfortable, and definitely delivered the closest shave. I really thought I was kind of stacking the deck against the other blades by having a Feather in the mix, because I've never gotten a bad shave from a Feather regardless of the razor that I've used them in. But I was anxious to see how the repair was going to because I've felt that she was that I've gotten with them it's been just as good as a Feather. I'm sure I will update this on occasion using some of the same blades and other blades in the Blackbird, and perhaps even some of them that have a couple shaves on them, and see how they perform then.

Thanks to everyone who has been following this and participating!!!

5 733