08-02-2021, 06:07 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Tarzan visited the legendary Elephant Graveyard, where old elephants went to die.
I wonder if there's an Elephant Graveyard for the old, thick, carbon steel DE razor blades.

I've heard folks talking about how bad they are on the forums, but have never seen one.
They seem both mythical and legendary.
When did the industry swap from thick, clunky blades to the super-thin ones we enjoy today?

Surely there must still be some old-style thick carbon steel DE blades out there.
What are they called (so I can search and maybe find a blade or two on the 'Bay)? 
Surely they were marketed under some name other than "Old Clunky Thick Carbon DE Blades That Never Worked Very Well."

Where *IS* the Elephant Graveyard for thick old-school DE blades?

- Bax

0 332
 08-02-2021, 06:14 AM
User Info
Here are some carbon steel blades which are still available.

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...-de-blades

60 11,238
 08-02-2021, 06:35 AM
  • Bax
User Info
"Treet Durasharp" are the thick old-school carbon blades.  Got it!  Thanks, Ricardo!
  :-)
- Bax

0 332
 08-02-2021, 07:19 AM
User Info
(08-02-2021, 06:35 AM)Bax Wrote: "Treet Durasharp" are the thick old-school carbon blades.  Got it!  Thanks, Ricardo!
  :-)
- Bax

They are carbon steel blades.  I don't know if they're what you refer to as "thick old-school carbon blades."

60 11,238
 08-02-2021, 11:58 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I read somewhere that a lot of the old razors were designed for blades of their era... which were made of carbon steel and generally thicker (and more rigid) than our modern multi-coated, whisper-thin, stainless blades.  I figured that an ancient razor might like a matching ancient blade!  :-)
- Bax

0 332
 08-04-2021, 01:15 PM
User Info
My Treat carbon Black Beauties are most definitely carbon, and will rust if you look at them crosseyed. They are however no thicker than any other modern blade. The thicker blade from the past might round out a collection nicely , but I would think the shave quality is long gone.
Shimming like Chatz recommends is a great way to achieve the effect of a thicker blade.

0 117