08-05-2021, 06:58 AM
User Info
So I’ve started my DE journey for the second time after selling my 30-40 DE razors in 2016/2017.

I’m very happy with my current 12 razor setup of my Fusion 5 & Mach 3 razors, but became bored and looked at some DE razors.

I owned the complete set of Above The Tie, but sold it.
Never wanted to buy Wolfman razors.
Frankly I can’t be bothered with a company, which has to put you on special waiting list and so on. Wolfman, how fantastic and marvellous it might be, is just not my cup of tea.

In fact Wolfman was one of the reasons I sold all my 30-40 DE razors back in 2016/2017.
I don’t like the whole mindset behind the brand. It makes me think I’m standing in line for an extra special deluxe thing, which would most certainly bias my personal opinion on it, once I would get it after standing in line for 6+ months and paying 500+ $US plus import tax and duty for it.

Wolfman stands for me for greed and all the things, that never made me transition into wet shaving in the first place - however great the razor might be.

I own fragrances for well over $100.000, and today I regret spending my hard earned money on snob brands like Creed and other niche brands. Wolfman gives me the same vibe.

A vibe gents shouldn’t have.

Why did you move on from carts ?
To stand in line for months to no end to get a most likely awesome Wolfman razor ?

If Wolfman razors was available now this minute, I’d get one. But to have to be on a waiting list.
No fuc#king way.

Wolfman is out. And will be out until he gets a real large stock of razors.

Wolfman is all the things DE razors were never supposed to be in the first place except being great razors. Hope you know what I mean. Most of us got here, because carts were expensive and we didn’t know how to get 40-50 great shaves from a Fusion 5 cart (I know how to now)

All that being said my new very minute but more than enough DE razor setup consists of:

Mühle Rocca stainless steel handle
Edwin Jagger 316 stainless steel handle
Edwin Jagger Laser DE 89

Very basic

De blades of choice

For the DE89 - Feather and KAI
For the other - Gillette Perma Sharp and Platinum & Personna Platinum Israel & Germany

First & second pass with either Stainless, third pass with the DE89.

Thanks for reading.

25 7,054
 08-05-2021, 10:15 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Gee, Claus, I'm sorry you're so mad at Wolfman.  The Guerrilla is an awfully nice razor (mine gives a remarkably smooth shave despite being astonishingly aggressive).  It's the king of my Shave Nook at the moment (thanks, again, Ian!).  I doubt I'll ever get a better, fancier, classier razor.  I figure Wolfman deserves a LOT of slack since it's just a 1-man shop in Alberta, Canada, and the poor guy is essentially hand-making them for folks.  I imagine if he's got a Sick Day, or has a dentist appointment, vacation day, funeral, wedding, etc, then everything in the shop comes to an immediate stop.  Such is the way of artisan stuff.  I'm just glad we HAVE folks in the razor world making cool stuff, waiting list or not.  I really doubt he's getting wealthy off of his incredibly low-output razor production.  But I've only got that ONE premium razor.  Practically everything else I've got is vintage Gillette (with a new Gillette Heritage, a Rockwell 6S and a GEM thrown in for flavor).  Your choice of the EJ89 is a good one... I think that's the same head my Gillette Heritage razor has (or the Muhle 89).  It's a pretty good all-around head, I think.  Well chosen, Claus!  Huzzah!  You couldn't go wrong adding a vintage Super Speed or Tech, if you wanted...
  :-)
- Bax

0 334
 08-05-2021, 05:23 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(08-05-2021, 10:15 AM)Bax Wrote: Gee, Claus, I'm sorry you're so mad at Wolfman.  The Guerrilla is an awfully nice razor (mine gives a remarkably smooth shave despite being astonishingly aggressive).  It's the king of my Shave Nook at the moment (thanks, again, Ian!).  I doubt I'll ever get a better, fancier, classier razor.  I figure Wolfman deserves a LOT of slack since it's just a 1-man shop in Alberta, Canada, and the poor guy is essentially hand-making them for folks.  I imagine if he's got a Sick Day, or has a dentist appointment, vacation day, funeral, wedding, etc, then everything in the shop comes to an immediate stop.  Such is the way of artisan stuff.  I'm just glad we HAVE folks in the razor world making cool stuff, waiting list or not.  I really doubt he's getting wealthy off of his incredibly low-output razor production.  But I've only got that ONE premium razor.  Practically everything else I've got is vintage Gillette (with a new Gillette Heritage, a Rockwell 6S and a GEM thrown in for flavor).  Your choice of the EJ89 is a good one... I think that's the same head my Gillette Heritage razor has (or the Muhle 89).  It's a pretty good all-around head, I think.  Well chosen, Claus!  Huzzah!  You couldn't go wrong adding a vintage Super Speed or Tech, if you wanted...
  :-)
- Bax

I agree, Bax. I’ve got a couple of Wolfmans, the first of which I bought directly from the vendor before the frenzy (for about $155 USD). I’m not trying to equate him with Picasso, but many artists/artisans make their living without mass production. It’s his life. He should live it as he sees fit. On the other hand, none of us need to buy his razors if we’re put off by his business model.

19 734
 08-05-2021, 07:15 PM
User Info
Of course the guy behind Wolfman should run his business the way he wants to.

But back in 2016 I just felt the crazy hype surrounding Wolfman razors gave me the final push back into my old Fusion 5/Mach 3 world.

The hype seem to have settled down a bit now.

Well it’s good fun to be back in the DE world again :-)

25 7,054
 08-06-2021, 01:58 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing but your post is less about your basic set up and more about why you dislike the Wolfman brand and business practice.

That being said, I was around then too. I remember the Waitlistr fiasco …. And I was one of those that got on the list only to be told there was a technical glitch and that they were holding a lottery and then wasn’t one of the lucky ones. The disappointment was palpable.

If I can be so bold. I think your mistake, if you made one, was to build it up too much. It is, after all, just a razor. So it shouldn’t be like awaiting the arrival of your first born - get on the list …. Then go about your life with all the things that are much more important than shaving. Basically forget you even put your name in. Then you will get and email and you can proceed forward or not.

I don’t mind spending a lot for something I want, it’s a treat for me, and I like me!

9 256
 08-06-2021, 09:52 AM
User Info
I’ve certainly been waiting at the keyboard - ready for a Paladin release, or a UFO handle sale - but like Claus, I’ve never been keen on a waitlist. I’ve been curious to see if Murat from Rocnel will release a new SE - but I wouldn’t go on a waitlist for one (if he offered that option). This is just how I purchase products - it works for me even if that means ruling out Kickstarter type launches.

That said, I don’t think you can lay sole blame on an individual consumer for product hype - that’s the community at large amping things up.

36 2,246
 08-06-2021, 10:13 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
One thing I have learned don,t be the first to jump on a new product...almost every time they make modifications (improvements) once they get feedback and then you are stuck with the first edition without the improvements everyone raves about......

6 2,200
 08-06-2021, 01:34 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-06-2021, 09:52 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve certainly been waiting at the keyboard - ready for a Paladin release, or a UFO handle sale - but like Claus, I’ve never been keen on a waitlist. I’ve been curious to see if Murat from Rocnel will release a new SE - but I wouldn’t go on a waitlist for one (if he offered that option). This is just how I purchase products - it works for me even if that means ruling out Kickstarter type launches.

That said, I don’t think you can lay sole blame on an individual consumer for product hype - that’s the community at large amping things up.

I’m the exact opposite. I don’t mind getting on a waitlist, but I won’t get in a race to get a product. I did do that to get my son whatever the latest version of the Xbox for his birthday, but that’s a different circumstance.

3 742
 08-06-2021, 02:26 PM
User Info
(08-06-2021, 01:34 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 09:52 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve certainly been waiting at the keyboard - ready for a Paladin release, or a UFO handle sale - but like Claus, I’ve never been keen on a waitlist. I’ve been curious to see if Murat from Rocnel will release a new SE - but I wouldn’t go on a waitlist for one (if he offered that option). This is just how I purchase products - it works for me even if that means ruling out Kickstarter type launches.

I’m the exact opposite. I don’t mind getting on a waitlist, but I won’t get in a race to get a product. I did do that to get my son whatever the latest version of the Xbox for his birthday, but that’s a different circumstance.

And that’s why these things work - it takes all kinds Biggrin

36 2,246
 08-06-2021, 02:29 PM
User Info
(08-06-2021, 01:34 PM)DayMan Wrote:

Man, those gaming console chases are fun aren't they?

Hehe

20 743
 08-06-2021, 02:51 PM
User Info
(08-06-2021, 01:58 AM)1981Eagle Wrote: Thank you for sharing but your post is less about your basic set up and more about why you dislike the Wolfman brand and business practice.

That being said, I was around then too.  I remember the Waitlistr fiasco …. And I was one of those that got on the list only to be told there was a technical glitch and that they were holding a lottery and then wasn’t one of the lucky ones.  The disappointment was palpable.  

If I can be so bold.  I think your mistake, if you made one, was to build it up too much.  It is, after all, just a razor.   So it shouldn’t be like awaiting the arrival of your first born - get on the list …. Then go about your life with all the things that are much more important than shaving.   Basically forget you even put your name in.   Then you will get and email and you can proceed forward or not.

I don’t mind spending a lot for something I want, it’s a treat for me, and I like me!

You're right.

But I really truly dislike waiting lists and hype.

This hype was the last drop, that made switch back to my trusty Fusion 5/Mach 3 setup, which I still use today and get great shaves from.

But DE razors are more fun - it's kind of boring to get the same great shaves with the same two boring carts, Fusion 5 and Mach 3.
You need a bit more technique using a DE, than using a cart.

And I got bored, so went on the DE train again - lets see for how long this time.

I'm 100% sure Wolfman razors are fantastic - I'm just annoyed to constantly see a 'Sold out' sign next to his great razors on his website.

I got over it - I wish the man nothing but success - he earns it.
I wish one day a big store will buy 10.000 og his razors and have them for sale on their website - then I'll consider buying a Wolfman.

Have a great day.

25 7,054
 08-06-2021, 03:13 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Hmm... 2 days to make a razor from start to finish.  10,000 razors.  20,000 days to make, that's over 54 years of labor with no days off, working 7 days a week.  Presuming he's about 50 years old now, he'd be able to fill that order when he turns 104 years of age, more or less.  Then... finally... he can take Christmas Day off again!  And take a well-earned vacation. For the first time in over half a century.  I doubt that big order's going to happen -- unless he stops hand-making them and farms out the labor to automated machines in China... in which case nobody will want the razors anymore.  He'd be slain by his own success!     :-)
- Mathematician Bax

0 334