08-07-2021, 06:59 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I've heard talk of shims in the shave nook. I understand the concept, but I'm not sure how these shims are manufactured. What do you make them out of? Chopped up old blades? How wide are they supposed to be? What is the science of the shim, exactly?
- Bax

0 328
 08-07-2021, 09:02 AM
User Info
I simply take any stainless blade and carefully trim the beveled edge off with a pair of scissors, you can smooth up the edge with a sharping stone to remove any burr. Load it under your blade and shave away. It will open the gap while also stiffening the edge, let us know how it goes and what you think.

Edit results will vary greatly depending on the razor, I find the most benefit with vintage 3 piece Gillettes; Old Types, Pre war Tech etc.

0 115
 08-07-2021, 09:14 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 08-07-2021, 10:00 AM
User Info
(08-07-2021, 09:02 AM)Uncas Wrote: I simply take any stainless blade and carefully trim the beveled edge off with a pair of scissors, you can smooth up the edge with a sharping stone to remove any burr. Load it under your blade and shave away. It will open the gap while also stiffening the edge, let us know how it goes and what you think.

Edit results will vary greatly depending on the razor, I find the most benefit with vintage 3 piece Gillettes; Old Types, Pre war Tech etc.

Unless the razor is already tightly clamped the impact in rigidity will likely be greater than that from the increase in gap (which is less than a blade thickness).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

2 473
 08-07-2021, 10:50 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Cutting the razor edge (only that portion that actually cuts) off with scissors as described above is the easiest way to do it.  If you cut more than just the edge the shim will not be stiff enough to get the full benefit of the shim on your actual blade in use.  You can also use more than 1 shim in a razor.  With my 1955 Super Speed, 1st pass is with 2 shims and all others passes are done with 3 shims but you got to have good technique.  If this sounds strange to you a little clarification may help.

Razor more aggressive: Place shim(s) below razor blade so shim(s) are between blade and razor base.

Razor more mild: Place shim(s) on top of blade so shim(s) are between blade and top cap.

I don't have any razors with a magnetic top cap so don't know how well this would work.

0 128
 08-07-2021, 12:03 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Nice link, Charlie!
'Splains it all!
Mission Accomplished!
Thanks,
- Bax

0 328
 08-07-2021, 01:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-07-2021, 12:03 PM)Bax Wrote: Nice link, Charlie!
'Splains it all!
Mission Accomplished!
Thanks,
- Bax

You’re welcome, Bax. It was years of DE shaves before I took the plunge. Guys had been touting it and I was apprehensive to try. Then I figured it can’t be any more aggressive than any other more efficient razor I’ve tried already. It was enlightening once I finally gave it a go. When my whiskers, skin and stars align it’s Shim City!

19 5,463