08-14-2021, 04:36 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Here's my latest from an estate sale (it's one of four I detailed in the Monthly Haul thread).  I got 4 razors (mostly Super Speeds) for $50.  This Aristocrat was among them, and is probably the most interesting of the 4 razors:

[Image: y0JyZ3I.jpg]
As you can see, the finish leaves a bit to be desired.  The handle is in good shape and so is the baseplate, but the missile silo doors have some finish problems that polishing didn't solve.  One of the safety bars has a nasty finish on one side (the opposite side from the one in the pics).  It's not teh prettiest Aristocrat, but it looks to be like it'll be a good utilitarian razor. 

Not sure if this is an oddball or not.  The handle looks different than most of the NDC Aristocrats I've seen online, with just two grooves on the TTO knob, and a big smooth spot at the base of the handle above the knob.  It's a no-notch, so I reckon it's a 1946-47. 

Then again, I'm not very good at online research using this confounded newfangled interweb netspace. 
For all I know, ALL the handles on Aristocrats look like this one!
  ;-)
- Bax

0 334
 08-14-2021, 05:17 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'm almost always confused - is it maybe a Milord?  My recall is they looked like the 40's SSs but in gold?

82 829
 08-14-2021, 05:40 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Great Scott!
I used your clue for further research, Gary, and look what I found:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pie...Milord.JPG
I think you called it!  Thanks for the tip!

Looks like I'm the proud owner of a 1946 Milord!  It has the right number of rings, no blade notch, no date, same knurling.  Eureka!  I think that's it!

Huzzah!
  :-)
- Bax

P.S.  This is a great link for researching old Gillettes:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillett...sierer.htm

0 334
 08-14-2021, 05:52 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Achim at Mr. Razor is a great source ..  you know, I think I have a razorless Milord case somewhare ..  Rolleyes

82 829
 08-14-2021, 06:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Bax. Keep this razor. If the worn finish bothers you it can be replated.

Smiley_1140

19 5,486
 08-14-2021, 08:43 PM
User Info
Looks like a great shaver Bax, it's always easy enough to find out. It seems like the old Gillettes wear in, not out.

0 117
 08-15-2021, 04:43 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I tried it out today. It seems to shave exactly like my 1940s generic super speed.
- Bax

0 334
 08-15-2021, 07:25 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
That makes sense - from what I can find, the Milord IS a 40s era Super Speed - they are the same razor.

Milord just has upgraded plating and packaging.  

If you have a Super Speed you really enjoy, and you replate it in gold - can you then call it a Milord?

18 220
 08-15-2021, 07:34 AM
  • Bax
User Info
Perhaps you could, and nobody would be the wiser. I'm not sure why anybody would want to do that though. If you can buy a genuine vintage Milord for less than the cost of replating ($12.50), why bother?

-Bax

0 334
 08-19-2021, 01:22 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Per the thread above, Gary sure DID have a empty case for an old Milord... it arrived in the mail today! 
AWESOME!  Not solicited nor expected, but surely appreciated!  
YouDaMan, Gary!  WOOT!

Now my '46 Milord has a suitable carriage in which such royalty may travel in style!

[Image: FTXSue8.jpg]
The oldest tuck of blades I have is this old box of Blu Strike blades.  I think the Blu Strikes look rather dashing while accompanying Milord in his Royal Case.
This case makes the flaws in the razor seem less noticeable somehow.   Like the old geezer in the Ferrari... he just LOOKS cooler if he's got the right package!
It'll be EASY for this razor to pick up chicks now!  
THANKS, GARY!

HUZZAH!!!
- Bax

0 334
 08-19-2021, 04:33 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Looks good - you are welcome Bax - enjoy!

82 829
 08-19-2021, 06:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Gary, that was real swell of you. Well done  Thumbsup

19 5,486