10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
I've been reading for 2 days. Fascinating how you into it. So, is this a hobby for you all or what?

0 33
 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 10:22 AM)Gianghia Wrote: I've been reading for 2 days. Fascinating how you into it. So, is this a hobby for you all or what?

More than a hobby. I suppose its a lifestyle.

9 2,988
 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
Hobby, lifestyle... traditional wetshaving is many thins to many people. Sometimes I think the only thing we have in common is our smooth, well shaven cheeks Tongue

If you get hit bad by a AD - Acquisition Disorder - it might be more socially acceptable to call it a hobby; people collect the oddest things, so why not shaving gear? Most other collectors don't actively use their collections though, so... Some may consider it as a lifestyle - you may consider it a harmless excess, a longing - if you will - for the days when life was simpler and things happened at a gentler pace. Steampunk light perhaps?

Me? For me it's somewhere between a hobby, a lifestyle and a form of meditation - and I get a smooth, problem free shave every time.

3 3,550
 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Personally it is two parted, first part collecting vintage razors is a hobby,secondly wet shaving is a lifestyle choice.

When I started over two years I never thought shaving could be so enjoyable. Knowing each morning I will achieve a superior shave, that is a total joy. Wet shaving has become a lifestyle and it will be the only way I will shave.

1 3,507
 10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Lifestyle for me! I have blades for 15 years and i´m 100 % that i will use all of them. De shaving makes it fun and relaxing. Something to look forward to. Before that shaving was just a boring core that i did maybe each 3rd day.

0 284
 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
For me I was looking for a way to save money. Then it turned into a hobby. Now it's just a normal way of shaving.

1 265
 10-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I think that WegianWarrior has it right. A Hobby, A Lifestyle, A Choice, A Harmless Excess, or one of many Disorders.

To each his own.

"I've been reading for 2 days. Fascinating how you into it. So, is this a hobby for you all or what?"

A long time ago, a Man may have used a number of things to shave with and there were always Barbers. Your Dad, Grandfather, Uncle, or Brother had to tell you pr show you how to shave. Or when you went to a Barber you observed what he did.

Straights take a lot of effort to maintain and some skill to use. So many did not shave everyday or often.

Then, came the Safety Razor and now any Man could Shave everyday if he wanted to.

You still learned to shave by watching others or being told and then in the early 1900's Articles were being written about shaving.

This went on for the next 60 or 70 years.

However, times changed. New products were invented and Advertising changed. TV Commercials told us what was a Great New Product and what it could do for you. And Gillette patents on it's old line of shaving gear (Razors and Blades) were expiring and so Gillette developed the Multi-Blade Razor for consumption in the United States.

So we were told that the best shaving cream comes in a can and that the new improved Multi-Blade Razor is the Best Shaving System out there and the cost of it should not matter.

So in the United States you can buy any Canned Cream or Multi-Blade Razor that you want in any Grocery Store or Pharmacy. And not much else.

With the internet and with the Shaving Forums, WetShavers have a Choice.

But, for the last 40 to 50 years the Art of Shaving was lost because our Fathers and GrandFathers thought that the Multi-Blade System was the best way to shave and all of the preshave steps boiled down to Wet Face, Apply Cream and Shave.

Since WetShavers Now Have a Choice and since there is so much to unlearn and relearn the Forums offer a place to share what we know. And since we all don't know everything and since there is alot out there from Razors, Blades, Brushes, Soapss/Creams/Sticks, Preshave and Postshave and Aftershave it may seem that many WetShavers have went over the deep end.

While it may seem to those that are New to the WetShaving World that WetShavers are Crazy, the truth of it is that they are just excited to share what they know and what they are learning with other WetShavers and with those New to WetShaving.

1 819
 10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
If you put it this way, sound very nice. But for people that's not a hobby why do you have many razors and brushes?

0 33
 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 11:46 AM)Gianghia Wrote: If you put it this way, sound very nice. But for people that's not a hobby why do you have many razors and brushes?

Variety is the spice of life.

Well, I'm in the brush business and I need stuff to write about on my blog so... that is my justification and I'm sticking to it.

As for the straight razors... uh... okay, caught me. I like collecting stuff. At least I use them.... okay, I used them.... Blush

9 2,988
 10-06-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 11:46 AM)Gianghia Wrote: If you put it this way, sound very nice. But for people that's not a hobby why do you have many razors and brushes?

Not all of us have that many razors and brushes... after all, eight razors and five brushes in rotation ain't that many....right Tongue ?

As asharperrazor wrote; variation is useful. I feel that part of the reason why so many of the cartridge-and-canned-goo brigade feels that shaving is a chore is that it's the same every day. By setting up a rotation - which will also give your brushes more time to dry out properly - each shave is subtly different, and thus a chore can be turned into something enjoyable.

Besides, can't a man enjoy having a some nice things that are just his without calling it a hobby? Have we reached the point where everything needs to be justified Undecided ?

I'll happily admit having somewhat of a Soap and Cream AD - I find pleasure in both trying out new products and in matching the scent of my lather to my mood each morning. Does that mean soaps are a hobby to me? I don't think it do, but like everything else in life (and even more so when it comes to shaving) Your Mileage May (and should) Vary Biggrin

3 3,550
 10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
User Info
+1 everything that's been written so far.

It's enjoyable, relaxing, so I have all my gear to increase that enjoyment. Also because the shavepocalypse could hit any day and I want to insure I can shave with the gear I choose until I'm pushing up daiseys.

32 6,308
 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
Not really a hobby for me but, I've got 2 razors that I use along with 4 creams and mostly I use only 1 brush occasionally swapping it out but never for long. The hobby end of it for me is participating on the various forums and learning tips and tricks to make my shaves better.

0 372
 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
Lifestyle! Can not give it up unless i grow a beard, but that is not happening! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
User Info
What if you have a half beard? Is it comfortable to shave around it?

0 33
 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 11:27 AM)Mynorx Wrote: For me I was looking for a way to save money. Then it turned into a hobby. Now it's just a normal way of shaving.

This ^^

And yes I have most the acquisition disorders so I am not saving any money.
I tried one time to shave the old way in the 2+ years I have been wet-shaving and that was a complete waste of my time.

31 1,800
 10-06-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
If you factor in the retained value of the items I have, I'm saving money.

Right? ..... Confused

9 2,988
 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM
User Info
Started as a curiosity. Very quickly became a strong preference (wet shaving) and a much enjoyed hobby ( restoring straight razors).

(10-06-2012, 03:58 PM)Gianghia Wrote: What if you have a half beard? Is it comfortable to shave around it?

I can't speak from experience as I've never had a beard or half-beard, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be comfortable.

3 147
 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
User Info
(10-06-2012, 03:58 PM)Gianghia Wrote: What if you have a half beard? Is it comfortable to shave around it?

I am confused by the question. Why would you think shaving with a DE or straight razor or using a brush would be any less comfortable than using gel/cartridge?

9 2,988
 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
I have a goatee, a small trimmed beard the same width as my mustache connected by thin strips adjacent to my mouth. When I started wet shaving almost three and a half years ago, I had a trimmed full beard that I shave under and over. My enjoyment of wet shaving has caused my beard to be continually downsized.

For me I got into it during some business setbacks and couldn't justify spending the money on cartridges when I recalled the shaves I got with double edge razors as a teenager in the 70's.

What I found had changed was that I was no longer limited to the paltry offerings at my local drug store, but that I could try shaving products from all around the world.

What used to be an unpleasant chore became a quite meditative ritual for me that leaves me feeling better as I'm doing and afterwards.

I have a few expensive brushes, but mostly shave with Portuguese wonderful boar brushes that are mostly under $20. I mostly use an artisan soap made by Doctoral candidate in Brooklyn that costs me $8.00 or a Turkish shave stick that costs less than $2.00 and will last a few months and leaves my five decade old face soft, well shaven and less dry than before. I can choose a variety of razor blades that will last me the better part of a week and cost between a dime and a quarter each in a double edge razor (some older than me).

There is a natural progression in this bobby/lifestyle where folks will try a lot of different products and then go through a narrowing process of keeping the products that they really find effective/enjoy and selling off or paying forward those that they don't care for.

As for the lifestyle part of it, it really involves making a commitment to taking better care of yourself, a discipline that easily extends to other parts of our lives. Additionally, the wet shaving community is composed of relatively small group of guys and a smaller group of women who are really terrific people who have at times been tremendously supportive of each other.

When I started out wet shaving I ran into a lot of routine problems and found folks more than willing to listen to my questions and share their experiences and thoughts - very cool. I stayed around to learn, enjoy the good humor and thoughtfulness, it's been great.

3 452
 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It's been a way of life for me for a little over 50 years. The hobby/collection part of it started with the internet. Mainly for soaps/creams and a few extra brushes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

173 23,486