08-21-2021, 08:59 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Picture below shows what I think is an over splayed brush like I've never seen before for this size brush.  Is this normal?  Has it been abused?  Can some of the splay be removed?  Other comments?

Thanks in advance!

[Image: gBJb0TX.jpg]

0 128
 08-21-2021, 09:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Was this brush a shedder? Chubby brushes are usually too densely packed to splay this much.

54 22,070
 08-21-2021, 09:35 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Good question and part of the reason for my concern.  I do not know the history of this brush as it is being offered for sale in used condition.  I'm still interested due to the brand and am wondering if it is full of dried soap and/or just not cared for properly and once washed out well and cared for correctly it will reduce the splay.

0 128
 08-21-2021, 09:41 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It's hard to tell from the photo but, it looks like it may be taller than standard loft. I wonder if it has been re-knotted.

54 22,070
 08-21-2021, 09:45 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Had not thought of that but is a real possibility not knowing the seller.  Hmmm, have to rethink this one due to this possibility....

0 128
 08-21-2021, 10:33 AM
User Info
Too many questions about that brush and you don't know the seller.  Something about the knot does not look right.   I would stay away from it.

60 11,230
 08-21-2021, 11:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Look away…[Image: dgfr7FC.jpg]

19 5,467
 08-21-2021, 01:19 PM
User Info
Unfortunately many don't understand the need for some basic care for a quality brush. A CH1 Super is on my short list, but I'm afraid I'd have to pass on that one.

0 116
 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • North Central Colorado, USA
User Info
I'd ask for more photos. It's hard to judge proportion given the angle of the shot, which is bound to result in some perspective distortion. 

The hairs appear to be somewhat clumped and possibly damp. Clumping could account for some (possibly much) of the apparent sparsity.

I wouldn't buy it without more/better photos. I'd want one straight on and one straight down with the knot lightly brushed out (e.g., with a soft towel) to eliminate the clumps. I'd also ask whether the knot, as photographed, was completely dry.

3 1,868
 08-21-2021, 08:53 PM
User Info
I remember seeing this earlier and dismissing it, but looking at it closer, I'm actually intrigued a bit. I agree I would likely want to ask questions if the brush was damp when the photos were taken. The first photo looks to be damp, but not as damp as the second picture. If I never looked at the second picture I don't think it would have had any interest. Chubby brushes are usually dense, but after you buy enough brushes you'll find that you'll always find the odd duck, and that isn't to say it negatively. The Chubby could use a bit better flowthrough, but that's how the brush is designed. I like my brush pictures to have the photo straight on. I don't like the angle of the first photo and it doesn't do it any favors. Looking at zoomed in pictures of the hair, it appears to be in good condition. The second photo is more favorable, and I don't see anything to make me think it isn't a Simpson Super brush. I agree it is a bit more splayed out than normal. Perhaps it is a bit longer lofted than usual, which again I don't find disagreeable. That first picture though if you don't look at it closer put me off and made me think don't approach it but looking closer at everything I would give it consideration. Just truth be told, this does look like an odd duck for a Simpson Chubby, and while I think it could agree to what I would like, it doesn't mean it would for you.

33 1,027
 08-22-2021, 04:11 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Think I'll back away and just reknot an old brush.  Haven't done this before and think it will be interesting to do at least once.

0 128
 08-22-2021, 12:37 PM
User Info
(08-22-2021, 04:11 AM)Chappy Wrote: Think I'll back away and just reknot an old brush.  Haven't done this before and think it will be interesting to do at least once.

Share the results please, I could use some encouragement.

0 116
 08-22-2021, 01:31 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(08-22-2021, 12:37 PM)Uncas Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 04:11 AM)Chappy Wrote: Think I'll back away and just reknot an old brush.  Haven't done this before and think it will be interesting to do at least once.

Share the results please, I could use some encouragement.

Be sure to check YouTube!  Steamed the old knot out today and cleaned it up enough to get a measurement to make sure what size it is.  Not sure what the glue was as it was hard to get the knot out and the glue left in the handle was hard yet porous like a hardened powder.  Didn't look like epoxy to me.  Now to decide which knot to get.....

0 128
 08-22-2021, 09:10 PM
User Info
This is a tiny Tulip 1 in Super after the first shave.  When wet it was even more insane.  Since that picture it gets toweled dry and slipped in a toilet paper tube with numerous strategically placed cross ventilating cut outs.  The reason is two fold, 1.) to control the wild splay and 2.) the holes obviously are for drying.  Super is fine and densely packed, seems to promote a wild hairdoo in my singular experience.  HTH.

[Image: ySxrCgf.jpg]

2 206
 08-23-2021, 03:34 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Wow, that Tulip is wild looking for a small brush.  Maybe due to the density of hair the hole for the knot is too small or should have been set deeper.  Thanks for the reference, old school!

0 128
 08-23-2021, 05:58 AM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
For reference, here are a couple of old Rooneys with Super Badger knots. They were highly coveted. The one in the top photo was shot when it was still a little damp.

[Image: PB043296cds_zpsi0yy24sq.jpg]
[Image: PB073303ws_zpsmfgjgaom.jpg]

3 1,868
 08-23-2021, 08:11 AM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
FWIW, here are some shots (taken today) of another Chubby 1 with a Super Badger knot.

[Image: P8230815ws1240.jpg]
[Image: P8230816ws1240.jpg]
[Image: IMG-6079ws1240.jpg]

3 1,868